Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: V8 but by FRUiT - Page: 30

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
For: Fruit
Forgive the dumb question--- but I've always wondered if a great looking skin like yours is prone to adding technical issues with the roll-out of new VDJ versions.
I'm on a pair of MacBook Pro's running VDJ 8.1 and for now I'm not going to upgrade to 8.2 (seeing too many technical issues). I never use videos and until the 8.2 version issues started up, I always updated my 8.1 (as long as it was not close to a gig).
I really want to give your skin a try-- and I'm clueless on how much impact a "skin" really has.
Can you shed some light on skin-impact to the various versions of VDJ?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:22 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Right now, the version 0.7 of the skin is meant to work with VDJ 8.1.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 16 @ 9:36 pm
(Knock on wood) I'm using it with 8.2 latest build no hitches.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 16 @ 11:22 pm
bazoooPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Ditto although only karaoke so far

Posted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 12:50 am
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
So each time VDj comes out with a new update skins may not work very well due to it was made for the previous version so if I custom the skin will be a waste of time due to a new release or update?

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 12:02 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
depends on the update, I'd say that the skin layout now should be pretty stable as I see further changes being delivered by the pads
but I honestly can't say for certain.

Most of the time stuff not working means new cool stuff has been added and its usually only a small revision needed.

What I can say is, its a great skill to learn and very satisfying to take a skin and customise it to your own particular needs and the skill also carries over to scripting [its how I started to learn]

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 1:03 am
FRUiT is going to release an update with the new VDJ features. We have to be patient.

A full time skinner is a rarity. Most have days jobs and lives :-)

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 4:50 pm
I've been using this(his) skin professionally with 8.2 since it came out ... and it works fine!
of course Fruity babe will update the skin, I think he's just waiting until all of the new changes are completed before he brings out his new version.

@ Fruit, please put the pad pages as an option where the hot cues etc. are now, I know you have a long todo list, but I think it makes sense. And don't forget the custom buttons option on the top for me.
best regards
ray

Posted Wed 03 Aug 16 @ 8:04 pm
raypitman wrote :
@ Fruit, please put the pad pages as an option where the hot cues etc. are now

As explained in the skin's comments, I will. Cause not everybody uses 8.2 right now.

Posted Mon 08 Aug 16 @ 5:26 am
<- Pokes Fruit in the ribs and runs off.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:11 am
HEYyyyy -_-

The skin is almost ready, just polishing a bit before it's released.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:50 am
Awesome! I have a DDJ-RB coming soon and I want to put those pads to good use.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 3:24 am
Hi Fruit,

This may be a dumb question... i don't own photoshop or paint shop pro and Im on a MAC (basic preview).
I simply want to modify the .png background graphics like i did in the .bmp pre VDJ 8.X.

I love your interface, should I mess with the top long black bar in your main.png in preview or is it more complicated than before?

DJ Wall-E
PS Need it for a MLK gig tonight

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 1:57 pm
Use GNU GiMP.
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It works with OS X.

You can mess with the big black bar, which is the waveview's background.

But, a new version of the skin is about to be released, and in the new version, this black background will vanish, so you'll have to mess with something else soon.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 2:17 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Fruit wrote :
a new version of the skin is about to be released.

Yes, yes. yes!! I just cannot wait.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 4:13 pm
Are we nearly there yet? Answer = yes we are!

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 5:28 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just a thought here fruit, every other skin has separate pngs per "mode" as where yours is a single png, I wonder if this is the reason it takes a while to inint [at least on my neolithic machine] I honestly don't know if separate pngs would help.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 5:32 pm
I think maybe it's because it uses visuals (i.e. coloured parts drawn by VDJ, not in the PNG).

I think it was djdad or phantom that said using them too heavily slows things down.

It's a shame as IMO non-bitmap graphics would be a better way of drawing things.

At present you can only draw straight shapes (squares, rectangles, lines) but if circles and curves were introduced, it could used for pretty much every part of a skin.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 5:39 pm
Fruit,

I downloaded gimp thanks.
The background to the finder windows would be??

DJ WALL-E

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 6:17 pm
I keep it as a single xml/png layout because of all the options intricacies and relationship. It would be un-human to maintain 4 or 5 diff skins with such a consistency and integrity.

Right now everything I do in the skin is immediately reflecting in all panels, all layouts. I can't do 5x the job :)

And yes I use a lot of virtual visuals. I didn't recall that sentence from dad, but I should have, because it's true now the skin takes a while to load.

There's is no background for the browser it is a plain virtual color drawn by VDJ itself.

Oh, and in version 0.7 the browser is not transparent so it is even the plain browser's background.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 17 @ 7:25 pm
78%