Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Slideshow picture stretched V5 [SOLVED] - Page: 10

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Latest version has been sent to halo_djk for testing; it includes two versions - one with threads, and one without. Options for resolution control are enabled, as is an option to enable/disabling upsizing of pictures.

Kym's crash is doing my head in!

Regards,

Scott

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 10:28 am
=( Sorry to be a fly in the ointment Scott. Both sytems testing Threaded version, on automix, and small new bug identified, and forwarded to Scott, should be an easy fix, for that small bug. The crash issue will be burn tested on two systems (Desktop, and Dead stable Laptop) for four hours tonight, then if any issues (or not) will check the single thread version.

Work is progressing guys, a lot of work has gone into this (from Scott, not me!=) This plugin is absolutly awesome, with lots of features, once the couple of little issues are sorted you'll be wrapped with the results.

Kym

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 10:41 am
No apologies needed, I'm glad you're doing all this testing :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 11:42 am
CRASHGUARD
date=804120036
version=4.3.r12
build=403
thread=Main
address=7c918fea
ins=ff40108b
excode=c0000005 (1,10)

DJcel says "It seems to be a crash in a plugin. I guess a video plugin. Which ones are you using? ShowCover ?"
bryantpb

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 14:57:21

Great, the clue is that in the event viewer, one of the crashes, indicated it was slideshow (good).
This is the new slideshow plugin that a member introduced a few months ago that took care the
pictures being expanded to fit the screen. I usually keep it in the place where it says "use this plugin for audio files only".
and that box is always checked. Is there a work around here, is that new plugin a real bear on crashes? Any other problems with this plugin?

Do you need to see the dll files, I think there were two mentioned on the event viewer.
One error said slideshow, the other event view error only said VDJ.exe.

Bryant
djcel

Posted Tue 22 Apr 08 @ 17:37:58

I guess this plugin has a problem with its timer. You should write it in the plugins forum.

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 6:09 pm
I'm aware of some problems with the currently released version, these are what I have been trying to fix. Since my last beta halo_djk (who was always getting crashes) hasn't reported any issues, so I'm going to try and get it uploaded this week :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 6:29 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Do you use SetTimer() and KillTimer() instead of a thread ?

Posted Wed 23 Apr 08 @ 7:00 pm
I'm still using a thread; we found that loading an image without a seperate thread could tie up the main thread for too long, affecting user input to VDJ (D3DXCreateTextureFromFile is quite intensive, especially on larger files).

I am of course always open to suggestions and input on alternate/better ways of doing things mate ;)

I've been running the current version for probably 2 months now, without a single crash, so I'm happy that it's working find for me - perhaps I should use this as the next beta version.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 5:45 am
Right, just done some more updates on the code for this, I've managed to cut down on file loading and processing time - whether it's noticable or not I'm not sure, but it makes less D3D calls, opens the files less, and performs less intensive filtering. I've also managed to remove a few calls from OnDraw() as well, which might cut down CPU usage a bit too. It's slightly reduced CPU usage on my dev machine, but my gig machine is a lot quicker (2.8GHz Core2Extreme) so probably won't be noticable.

I'm going to be brave and run this tonight, if it works then I will upload it tomorrow as a new Beta v0.2 for you to all test.

This version also includes manually selectable resolution and also selectable upscaling of smaller pictures.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 6:53 am
I can confirm that this latest version seems to be rock solid. Just have the small issue with the plugin not pausing correctly when used to replace audio only files, but aside from that had about 2 moths crash free here too.
Would however prefer the plugin wans't pulling CPU power when I'm playing video files tho =)

Kym

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 7:51 am
halo_djk wrote :
I can confirm that this latest version seems to be rock solid. Just have the small issue with the plugin not pausing correctly when used to replace audio only files, but aside from that had about 2 moths crash free here too.
Would however prefer the plugin wans't pulling CPU power when I'm playing video files tho =)

Kym

Hello mate... can you explain those issues in more detail for me? I'll get on them right away then :)

Edit: Never mind, I've found your PM detailing it, I'll look into it now :)

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 8:03 am
Fixed that now, moved the calculation for changing pictures from the seperate thread to the OnDraw() function, meaning that my plugin only updates pictures when VDJ asks it to draw... :)

I'll run this version tonight and see how it goes!

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 8:27 am
Oh, my crash above dealt with when I clicked on the video button (on skin "default pro" using 4.3, ) to deactivate the video so I could use another karaoke program next, VDJ would shut down and have to be restarted?

Didn't know if you knew that; while you are fixing bugs. DJCel has mentioned on another forum that this is one and needs to be stated here?

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 10:12 am
Thats probably related to the crash Kym was having, the threaded code was causing some very random issues. I've been unable to crash this version, including activating and deactivating the plugin mid-session etc...

If all goes well with this new modified version tonight, I will upload tomorrow morning :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 10:56 am
What aboutv (have you tried) activating and deactivating the video itself as I did, using the config screen or the video button. Just want to be sure.

Posted Thu 24 Apr 08 @ 5:56 pm
I have just uploaded v1.0 of my SlideShow plugin. Changes over the old public beta version are:

* Several crashes fixed (related to the threading implementation)
* Reduced calls to secondary thread to reduce CPU usage
* Selectable option to enlarge smaller pics, or just leave them centered
* Override detected screen resolution use X and Y sliders
* Picture drawing code optimised to reduce CPU usage
* Picture loading code optimised to reduce time and CPU usage
* Picture processing no longer takes place whilst plugin is not currently displayed

I've tried deactivating and activating the video as above from the config, and it wouldn't crash for me. There is a small problem I have found, when you disable video, then reenable video a blank white texture is drawn until the next picture is loaded. I'll have a look at this today and see if I can find the cause.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 4:37 am
Sorry to the forum admins, but I've just uploaded v1.01 which fixes the following:

* White box displayed until next image loaded after disabling/reenabling video

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 5:09 am
On first test with 1.01 noted the pause issue has been solved, but after loading two videos, then going back to an audio track, the plugin refused to restart, it just stuck on one image as if slideshow was off. I could even load a new image, but it would not move on to the next image without restarting VDJ!

The good news is however, it only did this the frist time, and I have not been able to reproduce the issue on the backup system (again) or the show system (At all!). I suspct it was becaues I had just previously run the old version, shut VDJ, installed new ver, then restarted VDJ.
Other good news is that the code optimisations appear here to have dropped the CPU usage from around 65% on loading images to around 45%. System idles at around 15% between images, and playing a mp3. (Or around 5% when plugin disabled).
Oh also noticed the Description only shows "Use This at your own risk, This is the initial" on the 1024x768 default skin, where I can read the whole thing on my 1400x1050 skin on my show system. May want to remove the blank line in the description to fit a little more in. =)

Lets all give Scott a cheer, I think he deserves it!

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 8:33 am
halo_djk wrote :
On first test with 1.01 noted the pause issue has been solved, but after loading two videos, then going back to an audio track, the plugin refused to restart, it just stuck on one image as if slideshow was off. I could even load a new image, but it would not move on to the next image without restarting VDJ!

Very strange, I'll have a play....

halo_djk wrote :
Other good news is that the code optimisations appear here to have dropped the CPU usage from around 65% on loading images to around 45%. System idles at around 15% between images, and playing a mp3. (Or around 5% when plugin disabled).

I'm still working on getting this down; the filter method used at the moment is TRIANGLE | DITHER, I'm going to play with other options to see how they impact image quality - POINT is much less resource intensive for example. I may make this a user selectable option going forwards.

halo_djk wrote :
Oh also noticed the Description only shows "Use This at your own risk, This is the initial" on the 1024x768 default skin, where I can read the whole thing on my 1400x1050 skin on my show system. May want to remove the blank line in the description to fit a little more in. =)

Shows what happens when you run at 1920x1200 all the time LOL!

halo_djk wrote :
Lets all give Scott a cheer, I think he deserves it!

Well, let's hold that cheer until we have some positive feedback - I'm still wary about that image getting stuck that you posted about. I'll be running v1.01 for several hours tonight, mixing in and out of videos, so it should get a good workout!

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 10:09 am
OK, can confirm, new code to pause the plugin properly does get stuck, and has tonight 2 or 3 times. after playing a fe videos in a row, it seems to get unstuck on the next mp3.
It will trasition to a new image if you manually load it, but will not automatically slideshow "sometimes".

Kym

Posted Fri 25 Apr 08 @ 1:55 pm
halo_djk wrote :
OK, can confirm, new code to pause the plugin properly does get stuck, and has tonight 2 or 3 times. after playing a fe videos in a row, it seems to get unstuck on the next mp3.
It will trasition to a new image if you manually load it, but will not automatically slideshow "sometimes".

Kym

Odd, didn't do it for me last night but I'll look into it ASAP...

Regards,

Scott

Posted Sat 26 Apr 08 @ 6:04 am
80%