Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ v4.0 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

As promised, we just released version 4.0.
People who made the trip to the DJExpo convention have been able to play with it for the past two days, and now is the time for online users to have it too ;)

As many of you are aware, the release of this version have been postponed until today because VirtualDJ will now also be distributed by Numark, and we wanted both version to be released at the same time.
The Numark version will be sold under the name CUE, and will be the exact same thing as VirtualDJ v4. The only difference is that VirtualDJ can be bought on this website, whereas CUE can be bought in retail stores in the US.

Of course, as always, the update to version 4 is free for all users of previous pro versions.

So what's new about this new version?
Well, the main difference is the new audio engine.
Indeed, the software has been rewritten from scratch with a completely new audio engine, and you will see that version 4 sounds way better than previous versions did. And, in addition to sounding much better, it also consumes less CPU (unless you really set the quality to the highest settings).
Of course, there are many other improvements, like the new plugin engine, the new skins with popups, the new network-sync, the new full-midi compatibility, etc...
But I'm sure you just want to play with it and discover the new features by yourself, so I'm not going to spoil your pleasure any more :D.

So have a good mix, and enjoy version 4.

Stephane Clavel.

PS: And thanks to all the VIPs who have been using this software for several months now and thus helped us iron out all the bugs.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 11:59 am
What happened to the slideshow pictures and other options on the "Video" tab?

The options for complicated, but detailed output setups are gone as well. I set my 5.1 to use the two channels left and right to use to connect to speakers and the other two for my headphones to cue on Version 3.4. I used those features. I don’t see the BCD2000 in the “Remote Control” tab.

That is weird that Version 4.0 is feeling like a downgrade so far. I wonder that else is missing…

I noticed that the ASIO is not selected as default. Isn’t that the best choice with a low latency?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:09 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks to you Stephane for this fantastic mixing software!!!

@ GargantulaKon
For the BCD2000 you can load the midi shortcut present in VDJ folder.
All the audio option are now available, please try to dedicate some minutes and I'm sure you can find the solution by yourself, maybe work in Asio mode like version 3.4.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:09 pm
Thanks, I just thought that there would be option in the "Remote Control" tab since it was going to be supported natively.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:11 pm
First reaction: nice work.

I'll be testing it all day today and see if it can take the heavy stuff, but i'm confident it will be able to take it ;)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:12 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Your welcome sclavel.

Have a good time at the last day of expo ;)

And thankyou for this version 4 that is the best i have ever used.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:14 pm
pembaHome userMember since 2006
Is there a trial version yet?

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:16 pm
I was unimpressed with the Master Tempo at first, but in the options you can select the higher quality one in the Performance tab. Do this and then you will hear Virtual DJ 4.0’s upgraded Master Tempo. The CPU usage does go up though. I went from 0% to 10% usage only though.

I have no idea what the values for complexity and spatialization do though. I just used 0 and 0 and I’m happy with it so far. The “Fast” setting sounds like Virtual DJ 3.4’s Master Tempo algorithm. That scared me at first.

I have lots of crackling sounds when I use my ASIO driver though at 7 ms with the Master Tempo at advanced, but it sounds fine with the "normal" sound driver.

CRASH WARNING

Virtual DJ version 4.0 has just freezed my whole computer and I had to use the power button to reboot! This happened when I was changing the sound driver. I went from simple low latency to ASIO to .......................... Frozen...

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:23 pm
It happens at any latency I set with ASIO.

How does the latency setting in the “ASIO config…” button in the sound setup correlate with the latency setting in the “Performances” tab? In addition, the tab should be renamed to “Performance” without the “s”. Since this tab has settings to set up the settings in accordance to your computer performance.

The word “performances” relates to what we do when we DJ. To see the definition of the word, see this.

I am just trying to help Virtual DJ look more professional, please do not take offense.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 12:50 pm
Hi,

Can you set your asio drivers at 24/96 Khz like other pro audio software ?

no succes here !

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:12 pm
erdiPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hi all, i'm downloading vdj4 right now and i was just wondering is it a full install on its own or is it an update (meaning i have to have v3.4 installed before i install v4.0). thanx upfront for the answer and thanx atomix for the software, keep up the good work.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:19 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
erdi wrote :
hi all, i'm downloading vdj4 right now and i was just wondering is it a full install on its own or is it an update (meaning i have to have v3.4 installed before i install v4.0). thanx upfront for the answer and thanx atomix for the software, keep up the good work.

It's a full install. You can install it in a different folder to keep the v3.4 for gigs (until you feel safe with 4.0)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:28 pm
erdiPRO InfinityMember since 2004
thank you very much erxon, thats what i needed to know.
bye

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:31 pm
;-)))...infinite thanks Staff of VirtualDJ…and Stephane Clavel...for this fantastic mixing software!!!...you are the best…auguries and compliments for the new one been born… :-)))

DjRudy78 DiJ

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:34 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
GargantulaKon wrote :

How does the latency setting in the “ASIO config…” button in the sound setup correlate with the latency setting in the “Performances” tab?.

An important information here: in asio mode the latence box in performances override (force) the latency in card's asio panel. Its a quicker way to change latency.
Works well with some soundcards and not for others.
Use "auto" for the old and safe way, (asio buffer from cards panel)
"Auto" works best with maya44usb because this card has non standard buffer settings like 128/256/512 etc.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:53 pm
Thanks apopsis!

This has to go in the Official Version 4.0 Manual or User Guide for sure! :-)

But... CRASH WARNING

I changed my driver to ASIO and then I changed the latency in the "Performances" tab to "Auto" and it froze up my whole computer and I had to hold the power button to shut it down... again. I can't use this version this in any performances yet while changing the sound settings. I am just trying to find the optimal setup now.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 1:56 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Big thanks to Stephane Clavel, the Dev team & VIP users for a great step forward in perfecting this prosperous software. I'd especially like to thank you for listening to users and considering their wishes & preferences, so that we have a wider range of options and easier ways to achieve a desireable mix. I'm not in a Dj business professionally, but it sure gives me a whole more excitement in enjoying the music with new possibilities to manipulate it.

Wish you all best in promoting the new product, while I'll do my 'free' part and report the experience with new version after some testing.

Best regards,
Erik

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 2:09 pm
it's a full install :)

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 2:34 pm
@gargantulakon: what soundcard are you using to get such freeze?
About the other questions you had, well, just play with the software for a few more minutes and you should find the answers by yourself.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 3:40 pm
Support staff wrote :
@gargantulakon: what soundcard are you using to get such freeze?
About the other questions you had, well, just play with the software for a few more minutes and you should find the answers by yourself.

I am using a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2. Not the Value Edition and not the NX, SE or ZS either.

What other questions? I found the slideshow and text already. The advanced sound setup I haven't found yet. Apopsis anwered my other question.

Thank you for your help. :-) I am not mad at Version 4.0 at all, just in case someone thinks that.

Posted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 3:56 pm
9%