Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The good old days - Page: 3
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
sureview wrote :

If I remember it right was there not an unofficial firmware update for it (eeprom swap) to that made it compatible?
correct...the Gizmomidi eprom

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 8:38 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I still have one of those Pioneer mixers outside in the coal shed. I need to clear out some junk!

Pioneer DJM600, I sold that to a Bar in Newcastle many moons ago. Pic taken in June 2005, still have the 1210s and the Dell laptop running XP, although its only for accounts now. That's PCDJ Red onscreen I was using back then. It still has PCDJ Red, Blue, FX VRM, PCDJ VJ, Traktor Studio, Abelton Live 3 and VirtualDJ on it. Maybe it should be in a museum.🤣

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 8:48 am
I am sure between us we could build a complete 80's / 90's rig that would probably sound great even by today's standards

I still have (and use) a pair of celestion sSR1's and a pair of the matching SR4 base bins

Although I have a couple of modern class D digital amps, the old boys sound superb when I connect them to the hand built L4 amp

If only I was young enough to carry that sort of weight around these days ....

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 5:43 pm
I currently have 2 djm600 mixers and a djm3000 I think the 3000 was used for a week and one of the 600 is in really good condition.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 5:51 pm
Yeah my old Peavey rig was huge and backbreaking.

Having powered speakers with tiny amplifiers in them makes all the differerence nowadays.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 6:10 pm
In 48 years of DJing I have always been a 'walk-in' DJ. I semi-retired 2 years ago and no longer rely on DJing for an income. I took the bold decision to do a few mobile gigs with my Mackie SRM450s (Italian built) that I bought in 2002, they've only done about a dozen gigs. Trouble is they are heavy, I don't even put them on stands anymore, just stand them on the floor. Would really like to change them for something lighter. The problem is that I paid £1200 for them and now the second hand value would not generate enough money for a replacement of similar quality. As I only do a few odd gigs I don't think it's financially viable to change them.

I did a local gig on Saturday and must of lost a stone in sweat loading in/out up and down a dozen steps. Had a great night in a large local Bar with no dance floor. At 8pm there were 80 people in, at midnight, after I did a headcount, there were still 60 people in (even though the resident DJ was working in the function room next door). Lots of compliments on the music. Makes me wonder, should I go back to regular DJing (btw I'm 72 now 😳). 😂

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 7:35 pm
Thing is Les the old "Italian" Mackies are absolutely brilliant, the new ones are crap in comparison.

You could always ask for a help from one of the staff to put them on stands if you needed.

I'm 57 and manage moving all the kit myself easily, however my rig is planned so the only heay things are the speakers, and even they aren't that bad. By comparison one of my mates is 12 years younger than me and is trying to get rid of the same speakers as he has a bad back.

It takes a bit of effort but having the right equipment makes all the difference.

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 7:48 pm
I can put the Mackies on the stands myself although they are heavy, but, I only have 2 stands that I use for the lights now. I had a 7 year residency in a Hotel Group where our setups all had their speakers on the floor at either side of the booth and they worked fine. That's why I'm happy to have the Mackies on the floor.

I agree with you on the brilliant "Italian" Mackies. Using the volume control correctly (no more than 12 o'clock position) they are loud with quality. The main reason I've kept them.

Saturday night bouncing all the lights of the white ceiling. Don't tell the 'Cable Police' 🤣

Posted Mon 11 Dec 23 @ 8:34 pm
Another of my vintage equipment

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 1:48 am

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 1:54 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Another of my vintage equipment

This is my favourite possession from the good old days. Still works perfectly too.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 10:10 am
Imagine if there was a library or museum for old dj equipment!! Man Id be in heaven.

Confession time, I sometimes buy old gear just for nostalgia purposes lmao!!

I have all the Rane boxes, all the Traktor boxes, got the original Virtual Vinyl box, the MixMeister controller, Mixtrack Edge (Ipad shaped controller) and a bunch of other old out of date gear. Some of it still works with VDJ tho lol!!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 2:36 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
the MixMeister controller

Ah yes, along the same lines as my VCM-600 for Ableton Live.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 3:30 pm
That Vestax is amazing!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 3:56 pm
I wanted one for ages, but they were initially very expensive. Years later they started being sold off cheaper, and I managed to grab one before they disappeared.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 3:58 pm
Imagine if there was a library or museum for old dj equipment!! Man Id be in heaven.

Pity you're in the States, we could all sell you our junk......... I mean vintage equipment. 😂

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 4:10 pm
Yeah Les we could fill a container and just send it to Huey lol.

Seems we're all as bad as each other.

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 4:20 pm

I have all the Rane boxes, all the Traktor boxes, got the original Virtual Vinyl box, the MixMeister controller, Mixtrack Edge (Ipad shaped controller) and a bunch of other old out of date gear. Some of it still works with VDJ tho lol!!

I too have a bunch of old equipment Including a new mix track edge in the box Several soundcards final scratch 2 new in the box I'm sure our "junk" here in the states could rival your "junk" across the pond !!

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 5:19 pm
groovindj wrote :

Ok now Im on the hunt for 1 of those ;-P

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 6:27 pm
groovindj wrote :

Ok now Im on the hunt for 1 of those ;-P

Reverb.com has one

Posted Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 10:01 pm
98%