Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The good old days - Page: 2
Blue I believe was a repackage of Digital1200SL, then Red came after that. Red was the one that became legendary as stable software, and people stuck with it for years.

PCDJ FX was terrible. Very crashy.

Reflex would have been great if they'd actually managed to take it beyond the initial release, which was missing a bunch of stuff. Although people pleaded, it ground to a halt and eventually Jorgen went off on his own and reimagined it as RPM (which suffered the same fate).

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 7:26 pm
It's amazing to think though that what we used back then was so crude compared to VDJ and controllers nowadays.

I never thought we'd ever have technology like stems and really wish I had todays DJ gear in the early 90s.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 7:37 pm
I love today's technology but back then, everyone wasn't a dj . It required commitment to buying music listening to it ,assigning a bpm and genre then you had to lu g crates of records or cd cases iinto the club. Now show up with a laptop controller & "rent" your music hit sync and away you go

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 9:02 pm
I guess I'm the only one for this (way back when I was younger).

"Virtual Turntables" by Carrot Innovations

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 10:15 pm
@The Magic DJ. Me too. Programmed by a student at Texas University apparently. Cost me £25 in 1998 and worked on Windows 95 & Windows 98. Virtual TurnTables (VTT) unfortunately support had stopped when Windows XP was released and it wouldn't run on it. So, I bought PCDJ Blue with the Numark DMC-1.

Virtual TurnTables November 2001
Ignore the mess, it wasn't mine. P.S. I still have that Behringer mixer. 😳

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 11:57 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
@The Magic DJ. Me too. Programmed by a student at Texas University apparently. Cost me £25 in 1998 and worked on Windows 95 & Windows 98. Virtual TurnTables (VTT) unfortunately support had stopped when Windows XP was released and it wouldn't run on it. So, I bought PCDJ Blue with the Numark DMC-1.

Virtual TurnTables November 2001
Ignore the mess, it wasn't mine. P.S. I still have that Behringer mixer. 😳

That giant old monitor..... priceless!

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 2:03 am
Ha ha yeh, they were bulky and heavy to carry back in the day.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 9:42 am
I remember we bought an Iiyama Vision Master Pro monitor in 1998 and it literally took 3 people to lift it up the stairs.

On the flip side I have a walk in xmas party gig tomorrow night and this is my 2023 setup. Pretty much fits in my pocket.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 10:14 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
kradcliffe wrote :
Pretty sure Adion was involved with PCDJ at that point so better be careful :)

No, I was doing djDecks on my own at that time. PCDJ Dex 1.0 was a rebranded djDecks, but that was much later (and needed at the time since PCDJ Reflex never got finished)

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 10:55 am
Wow Keith there's a lot of clutter on that skin for the size screen!

What's the resolution? When I ran VDJ on a little Samsung NC10 I used a custom skin of my own creation.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 12:05 pm
Before going digital, in the 90's I used the Denon DN-2000F mk1 in the club and a Phonic MRT-70 mixer.
We had a rack of Bose amps and speakers hanging from the ceiling in chains. Quite cool.
This was amazing times.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 12:10 pm
@groovin resolution is 1920x1200. Can see everything clearly if I stand back far enough :)

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 12:22 pm
Ah Bose - that brings back memories.

Anyone who knows the TV series Fawlty Towers will remember the exterior shots of the building. At one point long after the series, that became a nightclub. I worked in there for a while, and their sound system was a bunch of Bose 802 mk2 hung around the venue - but without the Bose processor box!

Without that crucial box applying the drastic EQ processing, they sounded dreadful. The DJs pleaded with the club owner as the sound was awful.

Did he buy an EQ box? No, he added some Bose 302 subs. It still sounded awful.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 12:23 pm
I don't remember the type of Bose speakers we had, they were pretty slim looked like a kind of column speaker hanging over the dancefloor. I think we also had a Bose processor, it was locked in with a mesh infront of it so noone could adjust it.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 12:50 pm
Have to say I've worked in various venues with either 802/sub combos or just Acoustimass Pro units on their own and the sound has always been excellent (assuming the have the processor of course).

One large pub had just 4 of the Acoustimass professional units and the sound was amazing. they were well ahead of their time being powered as well.

That's part of the reason I use the Bose F1 system for my mobiles and it's just superb.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 1:01 pm
groovindj wrote :
Haha the MC6000 is modern tech! That rack system I pictured was used with a Numark DMC1.

Serial interface baby!

Still got my DMC1 in the garage somewhere

If I remember it right was there not an unofficial firmware update for it (eeprom swap) to that made it compatible?

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 3:41 pm
There was a firmware (chip) update, yes - I think sold by Gizmolabs (Jorgen).

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 3:53 pm
groovindj wrote :

Wonder if I can lay my hand on one , would like to redirect it, be there is also my EE mini pc / notebook that used to be my backup, it actually ran VDJ 7 Well

Or really I should clear out the garage , there is a Bose amp there that must weigh 40kg

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 7:28 pm
groovindj wrote :

Yes, that's correct. I bought one and fitted it to my Numark DMC 01.

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 7:52 pm
I still have one of those Pioneer mixers outside in the coal shed. I need to clear out some junk!

Posted Sun 10 Dec 23 @ 7:59 pm
66%