Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Importing Serato Crates - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SBDJ wrote :
Richmond wrote :
Not that simple, my friend. Ordinarily it can import some of the information, but not all. However in this case, it can't get any of it, because 80% of my music is on that drive with the ScratchLive folder. I can't point VDJ at both folders.

I must be missing something here, it's not clear to me what your library structure is.

VDJ will read the from the location specified in settings, and the _Serato_ folder on the root of each other drive where present. If you library uses a _ScratchLive_ folder then it will not be read.

Right. I'm not sure what would happen if you were to say... put some files on a thumb drive, or whatever, today. But back when I moved all those files onto the terabyte usb drive (probably six years ago), Serato placed a Scratchlive folder on there (was using Itch, at the time), and it has not changed that, since the software itself has upgraded (?) to the new "v2" database.

I'm sure, however, that there are other Serato users out there with the same kind of file structure. Would it be that hard to implement a provision for more than one crate location in VDJ8 setup, so that folks like myself can still import their crates properly?

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 2:08 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Richmond wrote :
Well of course you and I, are not the only two DJs using this software... I don't use my playlists all the time. Most of the time, I just go with the flow. But on the other-hand, there are times when the lists are just invaluable. When you have over 200,000 tracks, you need many types of structure in your filing system.

Absolutely, it's something I'll have a look into.

Richmond wrote :
??? Pardon me for asking, but am I getting the wrong impression, or is that just your way of saying that you don't feel it's important enough to actually address?

No, not at all, it's just not something I've heard come up before, that's all :)

Richmond wrote :
SBDJ, you said you have a copy of SDJ there, so you should know what I'm talking about? VDJ has always been painfully slow when changing directories, whether the tags have been read or not. I've tried everything I know of to make it quicker. Conversely, Serato always takes about a half-second, regardless. There is just no comparison... They have their own problems of course, but file access is top notch.

I don't experience that here at all - if I open a folder that has had it's tags read it's instant for me. Is it possible you have the file date browser column enabled?

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 5:33 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Richmond wrote :
Right. I'm not sure what would happen if you were to say... put some files on a thumb drive, or whatever, today. But back when I moved all those files onto the terabyte usb drive (probably six years ago), Serato placed a Scratchlive folder on there (was using Itch, at the time), and it has not changed that, since the software itself has upgraded (?) to the new "v2" database.

I'm sure, however, that there are other Serato users out there with the same kind of file structure. Would it be that hard to implement a provision for more than one crate location in VDJ8 setup, so that folks like myself can still import their crates properly?

So the problem you are having is that your external drive has the older _ScratchLive_ folder rather than a _Serato_ folder?

If you get a chance, zip up your various library folders (don't need the media obviously lol) and send them over to me, and I'll have a look and see what I can do to get them working perfectly.

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 5:36 am
SBDJ wrote :
Richmond wrote :
Well of course you and I, are not the only two DJs using this software... I don't use my playlists all the time. Most of the time, I just go with the flow. But on the other-hand, there are times when the lists are just invaluable. When you have over 200,000 tracks, you need many types of structure in your filing system.

SBDJ wrote :
Absolutely, it's something I'll have a look into.

Thank you for that. I may complain loudly sometimes, but only when I can't get what I need out of the software, and I can't fix the problem myself. The VDJ crates/directories with an internal numbering system, are vital to me (and many others). On the other-hand, If I can get what I need, I'll be your loudest proponent, as well.

Richmond wrote :
??? Pardon me for asking, but am I getting the wrong impression, or is that just your way of saying that you don't feel it's important enough to actually address?

SBDJ wrote :
No, not at all, it's just not something I've heard come up before, that's all :)

Sorry then. It's just that two consecutive short answers struck me a sounding rather dismissive.

Richmond wrote :
SBDJ, you said you have a copy of SDJ there, so you should know what I'm talking about? VDJ has always been painfully slow when changing directories, whether the tags have been read or not. I've tried everything I know of to make it quicker. Conversely, Serato always takes about a half-second, regardless. There is just no comparison... They have their own problems of course, but file access is top notch.

[quote=SBDJ]I don't experience that here at all - if I open a folder that has had it's tags read it's instant for me. Is it possible you have the file date browser column enabled?

No, I don't... Here's the thing: I've been using this software on and off, with every kind of configuration, for 12 years now. directory loading has always been unsatisfactorily slow... again: always! So... if you can show me how to make this software perform like Serato in that department, I'll be a delighted individual...

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 9:25 pm
SBDJ, I finally found some time to experiment with this crate/drive problem I've been having, and I've managed a partial solution, although I guess it's really just a workaround, actually. First, I swapped the drive letters between the old drive and the new. After that, Serato immediately recognized the new drive as being the old. and it was business as usual there. However, as I related earlier, I wasn't having the same luck with VDJ.

Now, as I was saying... there was a "_ScratchLive_" folder on that drive, but no "_Serato_" folder. So, I started thinking... Hmmm, maybe if I just copied the "_ScratchLive_" folder (which was working great with Serato now), and renamed this new folder, to "_Serato_"... Maybe that would work with VDJ somehow? Well... I tried that, and it did work!

So, I'm thinking that if you could get your people to change the program instructions simply to look for "_ScratchLive_" folders on the root of other drives, along with the standard Serato folder, maybe you won't have to hear this all over again from someone else, further down the road.

As for the lengthy load time issue... I've done quite a lot of testing with all the tags read, etc... And I have found that on my system (and it's a very fast one), that serato crates load in about one half second in Serato. Whereas, the same crates load in around four seconds in VDJ. Any suggestions?

And tell me... Does VDJ not have it's own "crates" of some kind?

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 9:36 pm
good idea Richmond since SDJ intro puts scratch live folder as well on a fresh install on secondary drives not a _serato folder

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 9:46 pm
SBDJ, I was browsing the forum, and I ran across a thread where you were talking about your SCS1-Ds, and how much you loved them. Well, it turns out that we have something in common. I have four of those junky controllers. ...bought them all brand new, and never have been able to get all four in service at the same time. At least one of them is always broken down.

They have to be the best conceived, ...yet worst executed controller, ever on the market. They didn't get it right, but boy they came really close. Love the motorized pitch, etc...Yeah, I love mine too, but only because there's nothing better in that class to be had. What I wouldn't give for a 12" version, built like my V7s, with readouts and screens for every control (including a waveform view) that you could actually see... If these had been done right, they would have stood the market on it's head. Instead, it was the very last blunder, that finally stood Stanton on it's head.

I like the VDJ mapper for these controllers, also. It's quite different from the Traktor version, but maybe more efficient. There are only a couple of things I'll change. Did you write that yourself?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:59 pm
Anybody having problems with sub-crates in a sub-crate?? Mine are showing up but I try to expand them nothing happens. It's like VDJ thinks the crate is empty.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 15 @ 9:48 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
How about this from MIK.
Which of them should I tick ?

Posted Sun 14 Jun 15 @ 2:06 pm
the problem we are having is that the external drive has the older _ScratchLive_ folder rather than a _Serato_ folder? how to fix this for VDJ 8.2

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 5:04 am
the problem we are having is that the external drive has the older _ScratchLive_ folder rather than a _Serato_ folder? how to fix this for VDJ 8.2

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 5:12 am
Modify the seratoFolder option in config.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 9:01 am
Ok we are using a Mac. with VDJ 8.2 but this was the only place i could find anything on this. can you be more specific on how to do this it sounds like someone (Serato) knew about this but not a whole lot of help over there

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 3:05 pm
I was able to get mine to work. I don't remember exactly what I did, but as I recall, it had something to do with renaming the remote folders. I believe it is documented in this thread, if you read all the posts.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 3:13 pm
Ok we are using a Mac. with VDJ 8.2 but this was the only place i could find anything on this. can you be more specific on how to do this it sounds like someone (Serato) knew about this but not a whole lot of help over there

so can anyone HELP

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 12:38 pm
Anybody having problems with sub-crates in a sub-crate?? Mine are showing up but I try to expand them nothing happens. It's like VDJ thinks the crate is empty.

this has the same problem

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 12:40 pm
tonys party time wrote :
Ok we are using a Mac. with VDJ 8.2 but this was the only place i could find anything on this. can you be more specific on how to do this it sounds like someone (Serato) knew about this but not a whole lot of help over there.

I'm pretty sure that someone was me. As I said, if you'll read back through the threads, I believe you'll be able to follow my progress as I had to figure it out for myself. As I remember, I had to rename the scratchlive folder in order to trick VDJ into reading it. I don't have time to backtrack for you right now, and good luck finding someone here who actually will know what they are talking about...

From my experience, this software is basically unsupported, but the most helpful and knowledgeable staffer that I've talked to here is "SBDJ" who's posts you can find within this thread. You might try contacting him via PM and see if he will help you out, that is, if you can't pick it up just from the information already contained here in the thread.

But why would you want to switch over from Serato anyway? That's what I'm wondering...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 5:14 pm
Richmond wrote :
good luck finding someone here who actually will know what they are talking about...

Yeah, we love you too.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 5:20 pm
First off VDJ 8.2 is a far better software then Serato when it comes to anything other then club and then it is all preference when it comes to that. That's just my opinion

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 9:45 pm
tonys party time wrote :
First off VDJ 8.2 is a far better software then Serato when it comes to anything other then club and then it is all preference when it comes to that. That's just my opinion

Well, I have noticed that a lot of karaoke people use VDJ, but I'm not at all about that, and you may very well be right there. As for club DJs... I don't know how long it's been since I actually seen anyone using it. At least 5 years, though...

Did you get your problem ironed out?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 2:02 am
63%