Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Importing Serato Crates - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm trying to import my Serato crates and crate based playlists into VDJ8. The problem I'm having is that I have Serato folders on four different drives. Over 200,000 tracks, in total. Serato reads all four of them and consolidates the information within the software, but conversely, VDJ only reads one. Therefore there are missing crates and/or missing tracks in the crates, depending on which Serato folder I point VDJ at in the configuration. I tried every way I could think of to enter multiple Serato folders, but with no luck... Maybe someone can explain the proper way to list more than one drive location, or perhaps some alternative method.

Further, as I say, I wanted to import my "playlist crates" but I found that there is no "numerical" field in VDJ, as in Serato? Without a number field there's no way to know whether 150+ tracks per crate, are in the proper sequence... So then I figured out that I could simply convert those crates over to a VDJ "playlist", which would work just as well. But when I tried dragging the crates over into the playlist area in VDJ, from Serato -- no dice! It doesn't work that way. So, how to import the lists in VDJ, while preserving the correct order... without building the playlists all over again, one track at a time..?

Posted Thu 26 Feb 15 @ 11:13 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
How about pointing to the crates path in the options and spacing the paths with ","s Maybe

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 6:52 am
That's the first thing I tried.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 8:44 am
There's something going on that I'm not understanding

What I do understand if the crates on (lets say C\:) have the same name as any other crate then difficulties occur

After copying the _Serato_ folder across from default (on C) to the root of M\: and renaming the crates to unique names then all the crates appear even without pointing to them, So I'll guess that the root of a secondary drive is a default location that V8 looks for the serato crates

And V8 won't accept 2 paths( "," or ", " divided) in the options for serato crates (after crate refresh no crates show)

Something is amiss or needs explaining.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 10:06 am
locodog wrote :
There's something going on that I'm not understanding [...] Something is amiss or needs explaining.

I think it's just a scenario for which the programmers failed to anticipate. After all, apparently it never occurred to them to include a numerical field in the browser either.

Someone who does understand, should address this issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one with crates and audio files stored on multiple drives.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 11:34 am
On your secondary drives, what's the path for your _serato_ folder? if it's on the root of the drive try renaming your crates.

let's figure this out.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:02 pm
They're on the root.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:29 pm
So, try rename one of the secondary drive crates to something unique.

I can't test much as I've only used serato for decoding serato cues, but a possibility I see is, if crates share a name they could be merged, maybe, I'm speculating.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:39 pm
I've tried that, locodog. It has no effect on anything other than the name.

I'm not sure you totally understand the situation. These (playlist) crates contain tracks from 2,3, even four different drives. Serato understands that, so when you pick a song to load, it just goes to the appropriate drive to get what it needs to fill the order. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, VDJ is only allowed to read one Serato folder, so it is clueless as to where the other tracks might be, or even their existence, in terms of what should be contained in that crate..

I could solve the problem by creating a "VDJ playlist". They are numbered, saved in order, and would work just as good or better than my current playlist crates. However, unfortunately you can't just drag a Serato crate (from Serato DJ itself) into the playlist. VDJ can't read them.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 1:56 pm
OK I accept I'm not fully aware of serato to VDJ

BUT I have a C based (default) "_serato_" folder (path C:\Users\Vaio\Music\_Serato_) I also have a "_serato_" folder on the root of M:\ (path M:\_Serato_)
If (in windows) I rename the *.crates (files) to a unique name ( found inside M:\_Serato_\Subcrates) then after collapsing (the crates folder in V8) and re-expanding it shows up. (as well as the C crates.)(without pointing via options)

The issue is crates on multiple drives that share a name, If the crate name is unique and in the default path, it shows up.
I agree as is isn't right but
I think the issue has been identified, but as a confirm, on a secondary drive (not C:\) actually rename the *.crate to a unique name.

it will need to be addressed (by the devs) but us proving the problem (and how it is worked around) helps.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 15 @ 3:13 pm
It's more complicated than that. I've been playing with this all day. Serato has changed the way they store and access the track information. There used to be crates on every drive, but now they are only on removable drives. Now the crates are all on the default drive, and there is a "database v2" on each of the other drives.

I'm going to make some noise about this on the Serato forum, as it is causing me problems with SDJ also. When I disconnect my external drive, I can't access that music through the crates, even though the drive has been mirrored, and the tracks are there on the computer.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 12:43 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'll have a look at it this coming week if there is a problem so any information is welcome. As a quick test I did this in SDJ:

Crate with 4 files from C drive (internal)
Crate with 4 files from D drive (internal)
Crate with 4 files from E drive (external USB stick)
Crate with 4 files from C drive and 4 files from D drive
Crate with 4 files from each of the three drives

These all showed up in VDJ8 with their correct contents. The _Serato_ folder on my D and E drives contain the subcrate structure as expected.

VDJ will read the system drive _Serato_ folder as per the config settings. It will also automatically read _Serato_ on the root of every other available drive. The subcrates folder shouldn't be missing or empty on any drive AFAIK. I've just verified the above with v1.7.3 of SDJ.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 7:24 am
Okay. Thanks for looking into this. But I think the key to your results, is that you used SDJ to actually create the folders and move the files. I did not. I used Windows File Manager. And yes, on my external drive, Serato has never created a _Serato_ folder or the v2 database file. It still uses the old _ScratchLive_ folder and the crate files within. But don't worry yourself over that a whole lot, until I can get some useful information from Serato about how the database actually works. I'll report back with my findings

What is concerning me much more, is that there is no numerical field in crates or folders in VDJ. Every crate in Serato has it's own numerical order and number field, independent of the individual file information. You can drag files up or down in the order, and even lock the order. This is critical for any sort of playlist. How have you guys been getting by without that? Has anyone ever questioned how efficient it can be to import playlist crates, if you can't maintain the original order, or am I just missing something here?

While we're on that subject, something else for the developers to consider: Another thing that would irritate anyone thinking of moving from Serato to VDJ, is the painfully slow database refresh when opening a new crate or folder in the browser. Not a desirable attribute for an application designed to be used professionally. In Serato, it's practically instantaneous.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 1:28 pm
I switched the drive letters between the two drives and null renamed the _Serato_ folder. Serato then (reading the copied _ScratchLive_ folders and crate files) Immediately recognized the drive as the old one, and all my tracks were back in the crates, so that solved my problem with SDJ and Itch, but I did not fare so well with VDJ.

Same old problem there. I tried naming the _Serato_ folder back proper, to see if that would help, but no dice... Of course switching the drive letter killed the usefulness of the VDJ database on that drive, so all the work I put into beatgrids etc., is lost, unless you maybe have some sort of batch correction for that, which I don't know about.

As I've been saying for overt ten years; I've never understood why VDJ does not store that information in the ID tag where it would be safe, and remain with the track no matter what. The hours that people have spent re building these database files when they become corrupted, etc., must run into the millions...

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 3:27 pm
@Richmond

if u have it all sorted in sdj .. vdj can import the cues and stuff from the tags made by serato

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 4:44 pm
wickedmix wrote :
@Richmond

if u have it all sorted in sdj .. vdj can import the cues and stuff from the tags made by serato

Not that simple, my friend. Ordinarily it can import some of the information, but not all. However in this case, it can't get any of it, because 80% of my music is on that drive with the ScratchLive folder. I can't point VDJ at both folders.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 11:07 pm
Richmond wrote :
What is concerning me much more, is that there is no numerical field in crates or folders in VDJ. Every crate in Serato has it's own numerical order and number field, independent of the individual file information. You can drag files up or down in the order, and even lock the order. This is critical for any sort of playlist. How have you guys been getting by without that?

I don't personally use playlists or any kind of numbering, so it's not something that's ever bothered me personally.

Richmond wrote :
Has anyone ever questioned how efficient it can be to import playlist crates, if you can't maintain the original order, or am I just missing something here?

It's not something I've heard personally.

Richmond wrote :
While we're on that subject, something else for the developers to consider: Another thing that would irritate anyone thinking of moving from Serato to VDJ, is the painfully slow database refresh when opening a new crate or folder in the browser. Not a desirable attribute for an application designed to be used professionally. In Serato, it's practically instantaneous.

I suspect the delay you are experiencing is VDJ reading the tags from the new files. In Serato, the tags are read when you add files to the database. You can do the same in VDJ - when you add the files, scan them for tags too. The information is then loaded at add time (like Serato). You can also disable the auto tag reading feature too and use it entirely manually.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 9:50 am
Richmond wrote :
Not that simple, my friend. Ordinarily it can import some of the information, but not all. However in this case, it can't get any of it, because 80% of my music is on that drive with the ScratchLive folder. I can't point VDJ at both folders.

I must be missing something here, it's not clear to me what your library structure is.

VDJ will read the from the location specified in settings, and the _Serato_ folder on the root of each other drive where present. If you library uses a _ScratchLive_ folder then it will not be read.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 9:59 am
@sbdj sdj intro put a scratch live folder in my secondary drives don't why but it does

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 10:38 am
SBDJ wrote :
I don't personally use playlists or any kind of numbering, so it's not something that's ever bothered me personally.

Well of course you and I, are not the only two DJs using this software... I don't use my playlists all the time. Most of the time, I just go with the flow. But on the other-hand, there are times when the lists are just invaluable. When you have over 200,000 tracks, you need many types of structure in your filing system.

However, regardless of what your (or my own) personal preferences are, here's something important for Atomix to consider: SDJ has some serious problems that need to be ironed out at the moment. They will eventually get it fixed, but right now, there are many other Serato users besides myself eying VDJ8 as an alternative. Serato is a very practical application in many ways, and most of us have come to appreciate and use this simple feature regularly. You guys have a rare window open to capture a lot of disgruntled users. But, you will definitely lose sales, if they find that it (and a couple of other things) is not available in VDJ. I don't know... but perhaps that would bother you?

Richmond wrote :
Has anyone ever questioned how efficient it can be to import playlist crates, if you can't maintain the original order, or am I just missing something here?

SBDJ wrote :
It's not something I've heard personally.

??? Pardon me for asking, but am I getting the wrong impression, or is that just your way of saying that you don't feel it's important enough to actually address?

Richmond wrote :

SBDJ wrote :
I suspect the delay you are experiencing is VDJ reading the tags from the new files. In Serato, the tags are read when you add files to the database. You can do the same in VDJ - when you add the files, scan them for tags too. The information is then loaded at add time (like Serato). You can also disable the auto tag reading feature too and use it entirely manually.

SBDJ, you said you have a copy of SDJ there, so you should know what I'm talking about? VDJ has always been painfully slow when changing directories, whether the tags have been read or not. I've tried everything I know of to make it quicker. Conversely, Serato always takes about a half-second, regardless. There is just no comparison... They have their own problems of course, but file access is top notch.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 15 @ 1:58 pm
31%