Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Importing Serato Crates - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Not yet, I have 5 DJs I work with. I personally started out with virtual DJ and tried out Serato but found I needed to many other software or Programs,(mix-emergency, software to get the right keys, Karaoke, Video integration, etc.). to do the same or just get close to the same job that I could do with just VDJ. The one DJ that went from scratch live to Serato DJ when he got the new pioneer, and now has moved to VDJ 8.2 with some resistance. He dose see how awesome this software is but has some reservation due to the fact that now his crates are not showing up correctly, and are not numbered like in Serato. The bad part now is that the crates are having the same problem in Serato DJ that he's having in virtual DJ. One of our biggest concerns is that we do not want to have to rebuild his huge database of crates. If there is a way to rebuild the crates or copy them into virtual DJ the correct way instead of reloading them in Serato DJ first and then analyzing them. Then loading them into virtual DJ and re-analyzing them again. It would be nice. But at this point I think what ever works we will have to do. So back to my first question is there a way to do this in virtual DJ? Or do we need to rename all of the crates re- analyze them then load them in virtual DJ and reanalyze again?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 3:56 am

Idid find this but I am not sure if I understand It and if this is what i need.

How to migrate your ScratchLIVE folder to a _Serato_ folder
What's the difference between the ScratchLIVE and _Serato_ folders, and why might I have one or the other?

Early Scratch Live and ITCH installers created a 'ScratchLIVE' folder in your user 'Music' folder on your computer, where information about crates, your database, and various other information was stored. This legacy folder no longer exists - the folder has now been altered, and is called the _Serato_ folder.

If you were running an older version of the software, and have upgraded, you may notice you have both folders. Merging various items from these to the _Serato_ folder is important if you wish to retain information.

What can I copy from the ScratchLIVE folder?

Database or Database V2 file from ScratchLIVE

Copy these from the ScratchLIVE folder to the _Serato_ folder. Ensure they are placed in the root or bottom level of the _Serato_ folder.
Crates & Subcrates folder from ScratchLIVE

These need to be copied into the Subcrates folder inside the _Serato_ folder.
Recording folder from ScratchLIVE

These can be copied straight into the Recording folder inside the _Serato_ folder.
What can't I copy from the ScratchLIVE folder?

MIDI folder from ScratchLIVE

All MIDI presets from ScratchLive and ITCH are incompatible with Serato DJ, so these can not be copied.
Metadata folder from ScratchLIVE

Several improvements have been made to Metadata in relation to video files and could cause some incompatibility if copied.
Window.pref file from ScratchLIVE

The Serato DJ GUI differs vastly from the versions of Scratch Live and ITCH that read from this file, so copying this file is not recommended.
Any other files or folders not listed above should not be copied, in order to provide the smoothest transition to the new _Serato_folder.

Once you've copied these into the _Serato_ folder, test they load correctly by moving the ScratchLIVE and ScratchLIVEBackup folders to your desktop, and launching your Serato software. If everything is in place, clean up by fully deleting the ScratchLIVE and ScratchLIVEBackup folders.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:06 am
Also remember we are using Macs and are on virtual DJ 8.2 not 7 and not a PC version. It's just that we could not find anything in any of the forums except for on this page

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:12 am
I don't like SDJ, so I still use Itch, but if I remember correctly, I just made a new serato folder alongside the old scratchlive one, and copied everything out of the SL folder into it. Presto, problem solved. In your case though, I recommend you follow their instructions. They did not have that info available when I was going through this.

For ten years, I've been telling them that all the pertinent track info should be encoded into the track ID on the track itself, so that all this re-anylising aggravation could be eliminated. I can't tell you how many hundreds of hours I've spent redoing all that information everytime VDJ would come out with what they called an upgrade, that would proceed to wipe out my whole database.

Be careful and copy all your database files to a backup of some kind before you start messing around with them...

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:31 am
Thank you for your help and your quick response I will let you know tomorrow when we do this how it turns out

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:33 am
I don't think there's anything significantly different about the file structure between the two different computing platforms. What I know about this pertains to 8 also. I gave up on 7 a long time ago.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:35 am
Thank you for your help and your quick response I will let you know tomorrow when we do this how it turns out
Signed scared yes very scared I'm not vary computer Savey

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:38 am
If what you are doing doesn't work out, try copying all the info from the remote folder into a copy of the one on the root drive (after renaming the old one, of course) I remember doing that at one point.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:41 am
ok

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:43 am
Okay, below is what I posted here after I fixed the issue, explaining what was done. Note that the VDJ developers elected not to follow my advice as usual...

I believe however, that following Serato's instructions will produce the same result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, as I was saying... there was a "_ScratchLive_" folder on that drive, but no "_Serato_" folder. So, I started thinking... Hmmm, maybe if I just copied the "_ScratchLive_" folder (which was working great with Serato now), and renamed this new folder, to "_Serato_"... Maybe that would work with VDJ somehow? Well... I tried that, and it did work!

So, I'm thinking that if you could get your people to change the program instructions simply to look for "_ScratchLive_" folders on the root of other drives, along with the standard Serato folder, maybe you won't have to hear this all over again from someone else, further down the road.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:50 am
That sounds like it's pretty close to the same thing Serato is suggesting to do Yes???
I guess part of what I've read is that the scratch live files (Crates) are not supported in Serato DJ or in virtual DJ due to the way they are written. what I do understand is that virtual DJ can see Basic files.
My 2 question from before was did virtual DJ find a way to number the files (songs) coming in like serato did (last imported music)?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 4:59 am
I'm going to make a copy and then trying your way first it sounds like it's a little easier

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:00 am
I think it just said it can't read the midi files (.mid).

I'm not totally clear what you're asking me about numbering the files, but I do know that VDJ lacks some of Serato's file capabilities. For instance, I have numbered playlists in Serato, and there is no such option in VDJ.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:07 am
When you add and analyze songs in serato it puts a number before it so for instance if I have 2000 songs in my database and I add 30 more the last number would be 2030. this is helpful to fined last imported songs or newest to the database

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:18 am
Oh, okay well I can't knowledgeably answer that question, but I doubt it. SBDJ would certainly know for sure.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:22 am
I sent him a message to see if he would weigh in on our discussion have not heard back from him yet he has helped me with a lot of the other issues that I had, and has made us very successful with VDJ.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:26 am
I'm sure he'll get in touch eventually.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:31 am
Yes I am sure he will. I don't know where he's out of but it's 1:32am here in Tampa Florida. So he's probably in bed like most normal people but whoever said DJs were normal

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:33 am
He's out of England, as I recall.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 5:35 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I am indeed.

We don't have an index column, but if you want to see songs ordered by when they were added to VDJ then you can use the First Seen column.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 16 @ 2:17 pm
94%