Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Slow Search - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has experienced the following.

(sorry, another V7 vs. V8 issue)

While searching for a track by any means, meaning; title, artist, date, genre, etc.

In V7 you start getting results instantaneously as you type. The more you type, the more accurate the result.

In V8 you don't get results right away. It gives me some seemingly random huge number of files, not relating to anything I can think of and a message to the right that says "searching". It eventually gives me a result, sometimes as long as 20 seconds later, but usually 7 to 10 seconds. With the now correct number of files.

Example search: Elvis. 7834 files (this number is not related to the folder that the songs are in) Searching.... 8 seconds later it gives me 208 files with all my Elvis songs.
In V7, It had all my Elvis listed before I got done typing Elv...

I have set the search to look at title & artist and unchecked the content unlimited.

Is it something I missed? I know 8 has many new options but I just want it to look in the same way that 7 does. That worked fine for me.
I also noticed that once I searched for something it is quicker the next time, but how often do you search for the same song twice!

Suggestions?

Intel I 5
12 gigs ram
WD USB3 external
Note: this is a fast drive, loads songs and searches lightening fast with V7.

Posted Sat 16 Aug 14 @ 12:41 am
anyone?

Posted Sun 17 Aug 14 @ 4:15 pm
djmilaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I do not have this problem. search result is immediate.
try to delete (backup) file of the database, another USB port

Posted Sun 17 Aug 14 @ 4:26 pm
yea, that's not it. It has been doing this since first install. I also deleted the entire install and installed again. It's got to be some new setting. Like I said V7 has no problem on the same machine/setup.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 14 @ 5:22 pm
I have the same problema. For searching sometimes it takes 6 min... VDJ 7 didnt have this problem... I post this weeks ago and I dont have an answer...

Posted Sun 17 Aug 14 @ 9:05 pm
djmilaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
windows or mac ?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 14 @ 4:05 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Could you remove date from search options and try again?
Is it still that slow?

Posted Mon 18 Aug 14 @ 4:56 am
What do you mean, remove the date? I only have Title & Artist checked.
Mine is win 8 (not 8.1)

Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 12:33 am
Ok sorry, but you wrote

homeworld wrote :
While searching for a track by any means, meaning; title, artist, date, genre, etc.

so I assumed a date field is checked as search option.

Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 3:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Do you have 'File Date' selected as one of the columns in the browser perhaps?

Posted Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 4:18 am
Tim72CUE userMember since 2010
yes i have the same problem has anyone fixed it yet

Posted Sun 07 Sep 14 @ 8:07 pm
Yes my search is sluggish too (probably down the amount of tracks in my system) but have you tried...

In config > Browser > "browserSearchByFirstLetter" set to Yes (You may have to check the box for Advanced Options in config too)

Ive not done this on my system as i quite like making people wait to see results of music searches.. (Its funny how people seem to expect a "Jukebox Style" layout on my screen hahah)

Posted Mon 08 Sep 14 @ 8:38 pm
Alright,

Since I was the original poster, here is my system:
Intel i7
12 gigs ram
nvidia680
1 TB internal system drive
4 TB WD external USB3 music drive
Win 8

Again, VDJ7 works wonderfully, fast as hell. And yes, I do sort by date with newer dance tracks because I dump new music on the drive daily and that's how I can find them easily.
When using VDJ8, I have the fields set up identically to the 7 set up, and it is pretty much unusable.

I have it this way: TITLE-ARTIST-BPM-FILE DATE

I seems like 8 is searching way too much data. Like it is looking everywhere on the drive(s) instead of just in the monitored folders like it should.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 8:12 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
If you recurse your 1TB drive how many tracks does it register, is it equally slow with the external unplugged? Start getting methodical because spec can't be important, I've only got 2*1.6Ghz and 2 GB and search is instant.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 8:42 pm
The 1TB drive has no tracks, just the system drive. The 4TB external has all the music. And, as I've said works just perfect with VDJ7. Same system.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 10:29 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Did you actually recurse your internal? Because V8 can read zips when V7 couldn't, and V8 is pretty slow at reading zips.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 11:24 pm
What are you talking about? If there are no tracks, there is nothing to read. I don't download any zip files and Micro$oft uses MSI files. I don't use zip files for anything.
If I haven't added the system drive to the search db why would it look there? Maybe this is the whole problem! V8 is not obeying the search query. (?) It is just looking everywhere which is a colossal waste of time if there is nothing there.

Posted Thu 11 Sep 14 @ 12:14 am
Try to change the filedate column for first seen. You won't loose your functionality to see which tracks were added latetly, but search and reordering should be much faster.

Posted Thu 11 Sep 14 @ 3:44 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
File Date is not stored in the database, so it needs to be requested from disk each time it is needed.
As suggested before, try to change it by First Seen, as this is stored in the database, and thus is a lot faster.

Posted Thu 11 Sep 14 @ 1:09 pm
Please, don't get me wrong. I know you all are trying to help. BUT, these solutions are not helping what should be a non-issue.
It's not the hardware because if it was, it would NOT be working with either VDJ7 or 8. As it is, it works perfectly with 7.

Having to do the things you are suggesting are, at best, a work around. Clearing the database and/or doing a fresh install do not rectify the problem.
As with any newly written software, I know there will be bugs to kill. This obviously, is one of them.

As with any new thing, there are always better ways and new thinking that go into the product. The way the search works in 7 is pretty much perfect. Fast, efficient, accurate. Why did it need to be rewritten? Why is it looking places it doesn't need to? Why does it take 10 times longer to do the same job OLD software does easily? I really don't remember anyone asking for the search to be different somehow. Just like I can't remember anyone asking for the ridiculous shadow in the track position window. This is just a case of someone overthinking something. Yes, I want new features. Yes, I want better sound. But not at the cost of essential core programming. Leave the fluff overthinking to Micro$oft. They are the masters at adding crap we don't need.

What we need is a program that works. 7 still does that, so I guess I'll continue using that.

VirtualDJ programmers USED TO have stupid problems fixed in a couple of days. Looking back at my past updates and versions, I was always able to use my new version within a couple weeks of introduction. I've been with VDJ since 2003 and have never witnessed such slow progress.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not trying to be a downer to anyone trying to help, and again, thank you. Sometimes, it is just something overlooked and most of the time you guys point it out very quickly. This however, is not that simple. I am not afraid to push buttons and try something. I have even tried changing drives to force it to re-parse the data. No luck. Putting music on an inboard drive sped it up only marginally. With 7, it didn't miss a beat with anything I threw at it.
Face it, at this rate, 8 still won't be reliable/useable for quite some time. Makes you wonder what they've been doing for almost 3 years....

My 2 cents...

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 1:58 am
26%