Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Slow Search - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Alright, how about this tidbit. I just loaded VDJ 8 on a desktop with all the same music on INTERNAL drives. (Cloned from the external drive) Oh, and by the way both setups are music ONLY drives, no OS. OS is on a separate drive. in the desktop and the internal drive on the laptop mentioned earlier.

Now search works the way it should, finding results as soon as you start typing. So VDJ 8's problem is with EXTERNAL drives. ??
As I said before, 7 works with the external setup perfectly.

Does everyone here have this problem with EXTERNAL drives only?

Posted Wed 18 Feb 15 @ 2:15 pm
This may or may not help or even be the cause but here goes.
I have 61000+ music files, no video or Karaoke, searching would be an average of 5 - 15seconds which seemed pretty normal to me, then just yesterday I deleted the back up folder (inside the virtual dj folder) which is on my external HDD where all my music is stored. In that backup folder are or were 5 virtualdj6 broken databases of around 54MB in size each. they were all dated early 2014 and one late 2013. after deleting that folder everything became much much faster, loading tracks became instant and searching was also instant, VDJ8 also started up within 2 or 3 seconds rather than the normal 5 - 10 seconds. I didn't realise I had an issue till reading this topic.
Like I said this helped me and I too have a pretty fast laptop, it may help you too.....maybe

Posted Wed 18 Feb 15 @ 2:21 pm
Ok, I'll try anything once. What does this file look like? Inside my external there is a Virtualdj folder. Inside that there is one file that says database.xml dated 2015, (is that it?) and another folder that says "folders" and in that there are 3 files that are .vdjfolder files.
Are there any more locations for these database files?

Posted Wed 18 Feb 15 @ 2:57 pm
If there is no backup folder within it Then I do not know what to suggest apart from try moving just the database of that folder to your desktop (leaving just the folder which contains your virtual and Favourites) and restart vdj8. see if that makes any difference, if it goes all tits up then close vdj move the database back and start VDJ again and it'll back to normal.
The only other location where VDJ actually resides is on your C: drive under my documents which I wouldn't touch till you do a complete back up first

Posted Wed 18 Feb 15 @ 3:07 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
homeworld wrote :
7 works on all aspects, search with the same criteria is instantaneous! Which is, by the way, TITLE, ARTIST, BPM, FILE DATE.

File Date is not even in the list of Search Criteria, so please read my post again. Search criteria are not the same as columns shown.

The backup folder (if there is one) is never read by virtualDJ, so removing that won't make any difference.

Posted Thu 19 Feb 15 @ 12:25 am
I personally vote for removing the filedate completely because users seem not to understand what they are doing with this option. In most cases it causes more troubble than it is worth.

Just my 2 cent.

Heiko

Posted Thu 19 Feb 15 @ 12:29 am
Yo, what the heck are you babbling about? I am trying to get to the bottom of an issue with the software and you guys are splitting hairs about terminology!

If I am searching, the items that show up are based on what I have checked off in the drop down. Yes, I do understand what file date is! I belong to a music service and I take in a lot of music. I can't remember every single song, so I rely on the date the file was created to give me a relative date the song(s) were released. I don't really care when VDJ first saw the title! It has NO bearing on the info I want. Sometimes I may wait a month before dumping new music in my library. So I need the dates to be based on when I got the music not the date I put it in.

Now back to the real problem.

We still need people to chime in about weather or not their issue is solely with external hard drives, or if it is happening with internals too. I know there was some kind of issue with USB 3. Could that have something to do with it?

Posted Thu 19 Feb 15 @ 9:35 pm
I wouldn't be such a bitch about it but I have a client DJ that I have converted from another software and who has bought all new gear. I will be setting up his system and want him to go right to VDJ 8. I want him to be confident this software will work. So we need to get this bug identified and squashed.

I, on the other hand, have been using 8 on shows where I don't get many requests that a search would be required, so it has been good otherwise. But if I do, say a social gathering or wedding, I have to use 7 because I know the software won't come to a halt if I search for Bobby Darin. ;)

I don't want to have to eat crow and Atomix shouldn't have to either. Having the screen freeze doesn't invoke much trust in the software.
I have been around a while here and one of the reasons Virtual DJ was successful in the beginning was the awesome search engine. (And the slap in the face to PCDJ)

Posted Thu 19 Feb 15 @ 10:08 pm
homeworld wrote :
If I am searching, the items that show up are based on what I have checked off in the drop down.

So which items do you have checked off in the drop-down list for search criteria?

Using an external drive in itself should not make a difference, but having one connected will of course increase the number of items that virtualdj is searching through.

Posted Thu 19 Feb 15 @ 10:30 pm
Search in folder
Search in drives

Title
Artist

There is no music on the local (C:) so what would it be searching for? It only needs to look at the external.

Posted Wed 25 Feb 15 @ 11:31 am
*Sigh*
I had noticed that the search froze the VDJ 8 UI and took longer than in 7.4.
I tried changing some settings and also used the DB cleaning function - now searches and browsing take several minutes, staing "Searching" or "Browsing" next to the search field.

... Hey, before subscribing this post I thought I might try something:
I renamed the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ and then restarted VDJ8 so it would rebuild the folder.
After that I copied the folders and settings.xml, database.xml and license.dat to the nowly built folder.

The search now works instantaneously as it used to before.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 11:39 am
Could you try renaming the new folder again and put back the old folder and see if searches are slow again?
I'm not sure how the other folders could slow the search down, but would be interesting to find out which one causes it then if you can reproduce it like this.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 2:38 am
I will, but not before my gig tonight. ;)

Posted Sat 07 Mar 15 @ 1:58 pm
Well... I'm not a 100% sure that the copy I had was exactly the version of the folder I had when VDJ acted up - also before I could try today, it updated to 2171,949 - so if anyone comes across the problem, please try the following:
1) Close VDJ
2) Rename the folder C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ to "VirtualDJ defective" or something like that.
3) Restart VDJ, try the search and close again.
4) Delete the rebuilt folder, rename the "VirtualDJ defective" back to "VirtualDJ", start VDJ and try the search.
5) Please report back here.

Posted Mon 09 Mar 15 @ 2:19 am
Eureka!

I have located the problem! (at least for me)

Hard drive interface. I use WD drives mostly and have quite a few, both portable and internal. I found this quite by accident. Was have never liked the tiny USB 3 micro connector. It's crap. Well, on one of my portable drives the internal part of the USB 3 micro connector started to get flaky. I decided to ditch the WD case. So I ran over to my local computer store and got a nice portable case to transplant the drive to. I swapped the drive to the new case. (with a nice real USB 3 "B" connector)
I plugged it up to my lappy, fired up VDJ8 to make sure everything was ok. It worked, but the real surprise was when I searched for something....
What the....! Hey! It works! It's FAST again! I don't know why. (because the same old interface worked fine with 7)

So right along it has been something to do with the hard drive interface. 8 must be asking the drive to do something differently than in 7.
I have no idea what that could be, but hey...
I still have not run across this with internal drives.....yet.

If you are going to change drive boxes, remember to backup before doing so. You never know.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 7:50 pm
MyDJAbiPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Bottom line I search for a song without File Date on my tab and it works great, Once I put back the file date on the tab it shows browsing thousands of files and takes a long time. I cannot believe VDJ team cannot figure this one out by just a simple update. VDJ 7 works fine. I tried reading many posts but all different answers. For those few new to this problem Take off File date tab for now till they find a fix. " Really VDJ team, Really!!! "

Posted Mon 04 May 15 @ 6:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)