Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Slow Search - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

homeworld wrote :
Why does it take 10 times longer to do the same job OLD software does easily?

It doesn't - at least not for most users, otherwise the forum would be full of people complaining about it, rather than just you.

For instance I've noticed no difference whatsoever in the speed of search results.

There must be something about your particular setup that's causing the issue. The more info you give, the easier it'll be for someone to track it down.

Posted Sun 14 Sep 14 @ 12:06 pm
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have the same issue of slow searches, gonna keep a eye on this thread

Posted Mon 15 Sep 14 @ 2:35 am
I have experience the same issue with very very very slow searching as long as 5-7 minutes in some instances where my vdj7 for same search criteria returns results within seconds.
I have tried listed solutions like not searching on FileDate.
I am running a newer laptop Core i7 system with Win 8.1 and as I mentioned VDJ7 no issues with searching.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 11:55 am
marguello wrote :
I have experience the same issue with very very very slow searching as long as 5-7 minutes

That's crazy slow!

OK so give us some details. What are you searching, where are you searching and how are you searching?

Rather that just saying the results are slow, tell us how you're getting to that point.

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 12:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
So with File Date not selected as column it is still slow?

Posted Thu 18 Sep 14 @ 1:29 pm
The Search slowness doesn't happen consistently and it is not a specific search criteria that I noticed that triggers it.
And yes I don't have File Date as a search option however it is a header column on my browser see pic attached dont know if that matters .
I have a gig this weekend im going to try it again and see if it is still slow.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 12:14 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yes it matters, remove that column! Vdj has to read the file data from the file (every file) every single time. If you must have a chronology to your database use "First seen" instead.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 14 @ 12:23 am
Hello again,

Yes, there ARE other people that have the same issues, if you actually READ the entire post, and while you're reading you will see that I HAVE given VERY detailed posts about the way I am searching and have given examples of some, what hardware I am using, etc.. Also, if you dig you will see other topics with this same problem that my be explained a little differently. And none have been answered with anything that resembles a solution. Just whining about how WE don't know what we're doing.

Now you have mentioned that I should use "first seen". What is that, and why should I use that instead of file date?
See, that is what I am talking about, new features that are not explained (anywhere). And when questions are asked no one seems to have any insight to what to do about it. (DEV's?) It seems to me that "first seen" would use some kind of date to come up with a result so what would be the difference?

And, yes I know that it will have to look at each file to look at the date, duh, that what it is supposed to do! It is just not doing it very well.

Again, this is one of those things that belong in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" column.

Here is what we should be looking into:

What is V8 doing differently when searching? Different engine? Priorities?
Is V8 looking at too many locations? It SHOULD be looking just where the music is and no where else. It seems to me that it IS in fact looking at the entire hard drive. How can this be changed? It's wasting time looking at thousands of files that have nothing to do with music. (or video)

I am no newbie, so don't preach to me like one. If you have no real idea, butt out. I've thanked everyone that has been helpful many times.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 14 @ 12:54 am
homeworld wrote :
none have been answered with anything that resembles a solution. Just whining about how WE don't know what we're doing.

Actually, Adion (the lead developer) gave you a solution on the first page of this thread.

Don't use file date to sort by - either in your search option choices or in a column of the main browser (where it shows your search results).

The reason is that it's very time consuming for the computer (not just VDJ) to physically check the dates of every file each time you search.

Using first seen instead will be much faster because the first seen date value is stored in the VDJ database. The computer is not having to scan through your drive.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 14 @ 4:17 am

SBDJMember since 2006
As has previously been explained in this thread, it is best not to use the File Date column in the browser.

Enabling this column will severely slow down the browser as this data is not stored in the VirtualDJ database. Every time a file has to be displayed, each file has to be queried as to it's file date. The result is that the more files displayed in the browser, the slower it gets.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 14 @ 7:24 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
And btw, "first seen" is not a new feature. It's been there in version 7 and version 6 too. (and iirc in version 5)

Posted Mon 06 Oct 14 @ 7:50 am
So I just like to give update on my Searching Slowness issue, yes I removed File Date and did a gig for 5 hours with search results returing in a second or two to at most in a matter of several seconds like 15-20. Nothing like it was before where it was several minutes.

No what I feel compelled to say is yes I understand about why adding FILE DATE to browser lengthens the search time and its not in the VDL xml search log but WHY does it not cause me problems in VDJ 7 ????
I really have grown accustomed to it over the YEARS and YEARS using VDJ to having the file date on there and it helps me quickly sort too.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 14 @ 4:03 pm
marguello wrote :
WHY does it not cause me problems in VDJ 7 ????

I guess you must only have a small file count in the browser, because I just tried adding file date to the browser in VDJ 7 and it's OK (a bit jerky) with a relatively small track list, but over about 500 files sorting by file date becomes an issue.

Posted Wed 15 Oct 14 @ 4:36 pm
groovindj wrote :
marguello wrote :
WHY does it not cause me problems in VDJ 7 ????

I guess you must only have a small file count in the browser, because I just tried adding file date to the browser in VDJ 7 and it's OK (a bit jerky) with a relatively small track list, but over about 500 files sorting by file date becomes an issue.

I have both VDJ 7 and 8 on same PC using same exact files and folders. For example in one folder I do have about 500-600 files where VDJ 7 can handle just fine the file date column but vdj 8 cannot do any efficient searching on the same folder.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 9:39 am
Now it seems that we are actually getting somewhere! Instead of blaming us (which there is still some of) we can now clearly see that there is in fact an issue with 8 not doing something better and what that actually is!

Does 7 keep the file date data? If not, why is it so much faster doing the same job?

You still have not answered the question of is 8 scanning the whole drive or just music/video folders. (SBDJ)

I am constantly adding new music to my folders that have thousands of songs and file date IS the way I remind myself of new music that I should be playing.
I eventually move older music into more specific folders by genre, so that needs to be updated by date for browsing purposes too.
So again, what criteria does first seen use? And, would it recognize an update of a current song that was resaved/overwritten? Example, say I originally ripped at 192 and now I updated the same song at 320 and overwrote the original file.

BTW (groovindj) your comment about the dev giving me the solution on the first page, yea, that's a "work around", not a solution....
Remember, we are trying to move forward, not backward here. New and improved means "better faster" not "slower crappier"...

Well, I've downloaded the latest version, DJDad commented search is faster. I'll let you know.

Posted Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 2:58 pm
Ok, tested and it is only a smidge faster. Now only taking 10 seconds but still pokey compared to the instantaneous 7.
"First seen" does not fit my uses because it does not relate at all to the date of the actual file, which is what I need. If I drop in files today, then next week, then the week after, and I DON'T fire up VDJ after each file dump it finds them all on the same date. Not useful. Like I said, a "work around" and really still pretty slow compared to 7.

Keep Working, you'll figure it out sooner or later.

Posted Sat 18 Oct 14 @ 3:36 pm
I have the same problem. It's really frustrating when you can't pull up your music fast. I'm running a pretty fast computer too with low cpu usage. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 2:06 am
Hope the team really looks into this. I had a chance to do a few gigs using vdj7 n 8 and even without filedate on vdj8 and filedate on on vdj7 ....7 is still much faster ! 8 is too slow and kill the crowd...same folder structure n files....smh i dunno what can be done but i been using filedate on my browser for many years and no issues on 7. I think by other users sounding off on this post we need a efficient search with filedate as a viable option and firstseen is not it.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 12:25 pm
Even with file date checked off, I'm still getting super slow results.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 9:29 pm
Ok fixed the problem with slow searches on my laptop. Was comparing my old laptop virtual dj registry files to my new laptop and it wasn't the same and was missing parts. So I just copied/exported my virtual dj register files from my old laptop; and put those on my new laptop and it worked. Back to super fast searhes. I'm a happy camper. I'm no computer tech but it worked. Hope this helps someone.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 11:13 pm
53%