Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Questions about the XP10 controller - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
l_rids pushed the stop button through the case :0

digitalmdj> when, about the B-Control you say "Also I will allow use of your turntables", be aware that, from what I understood, you can only use turntables along with a computer, i.e. you cannot use the B-Control in standalone mode with just two turntables connected to it. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember this from somewhere...

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 6:48 pm
digitalmdj ,

I do agree that shipping back to Europe is a mess. I am from Montreal (QC, Canada). I used to own some radio equipement that came from the UK, and one time the main amplifier started to fuzz and I was unable to fix it. (Actually, I couldn't do much as to not void the warranty.) So I sent it to the supplier in the UK to have it fixed, which they did for free, and got it back some 5 months (and $75 worth of shipping) later.

It is true that ordering stuff overseas is a real dice-roll. But sometimes, when something as hot as the XP10 comes along, you just gotta take the chance (or be patient and wait for it to be available in your area, if ever.)

About the B-Control by Behringer, I don't get those "Available 2nd quarter 2005" messages that continuously get altered and pushed to a further date. It's frustrating because a music store in my area was ready to make it available for in-store demo purposes AND selling. They had big plans for this unit, as they are the official Behringer distributor in the Montreal area. They went and tried the B-Control at the NAMM' 2005 show in Anaheim, and they told me it would be a hit. For the moment, they actually REMOVED the controller's picture from their website!! That says a lot about their own frustration with Behringer.

Same goes for the DAC-3. It was supposed to ship in june, and still nothing. No news, no reviews, no device received by those I know who ordered it back in april, may.

That's just bad business!! At the PCB shop where I work, customers go INSANE when their PCB's are shipped ONE DAY late... The guys at Behringer and Visiosonic have really disappointed me so far. Had it not been for this fumbling, I'd probably own the Behringer console as we speak. Too bad, they may actually loose a customer just for not delivering on time.

Internodal.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 7:09 pm
DJ Bambi ,

You are right about this. It's the Behringer salesman from the B-Control video who said it was a non-stand-alone unit. (That's about the only valuable information he gave in this video, for that matter...)

Digitalmdj , this means that if the computer crashes, you'd better have a second mixer and a backup CD player or something connected to your amp, as to not ruin the show for a couple of LONG minutes...

Internodal.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 7:16 pm
i think with the high price of xp10's , why not go spend, about the same amount of money, on two turntables, and a mixer, (with tcv's of course)

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 7:22 pm
I never said it was a stand along product. If it was I wouldn't want it. I said it is set up for turntables. Which means it is properly pre amped for turntables no added mixer needed. I am going to switch to turntables for the full effect . People are not takeing to these plastic controllers very well.So I need to give them the real thing. When you DJ it's 50 percent Visual as 50 percent playing ability. It's like driving a Volkswagon compaired to a Corvette . It's all looks that count to some people.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 11:12 pm
ok, so you knew. just thought it was good to bring it up since behringer's description of the product is misleading on that part, and one might wrongfully think "hey for that price even if the soundcard/digital-mixing part is no good, at least I got myself a mixer".

anyway, hope the B-control turns out to be good for you. post reviews when you get it.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 11:19 pm
Brennan11 ,

It all comes down to what a DJ really needs. Some will prefer Time Coded Vinyl over anything else that is offered to them, no matter how revolutionary anything else may be.

I personally need a controller that's versatile, relatively small and lightweight, because I do a lot of mobile DJ'ing. I kinda got fed up with transporting bulky turntables, cases of records and CD's and what not.

With the TCV, you only save on the record cases. But you still need to transport them, maintain the turntable needles, take care of bad ground loops everywhere you play, etc. In that sense, I thought getting used to a small, electronic controller was well worth the effort. And that's what I did for the last couple of years, slowly trading vinyl for software - and hardware - mp3 controllers.

By the way, I don't see how you could get a pair of decent turntables for the price of 2 XP10's, unless you get something really unprofessionnal. Either that, or find a very, very amazing deal on some used SL1200's or something.

Just my 2¢...

Internodal.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 12:05 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I agree with you Internodal. I like TCVs and that's why I use it, but I already have 2 unused SL-1210 MK2 and with TCVs I use it again. Maybe you can compare another option, If you will of course. Did you compare with the XP10 with a CDs solution? (TCCDs). If there is a problem with your PC, you still able to use regular CDs. You don't have to carry all your CDs only a few ones in case you need it. The solution maybe is a little higher but I think is more secure. What you think?

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 2:18 am
Acw_dj ,

I have indeed looked at the TCCD option. But to have a CD player that has the same kind of control as the XP10, with a touch-sensitive platter and all, I'd be looking at machines like the Numark AXIS 9. They are comparable with the XP10, in terms of price. That is, if you can find a real nice bargain.

But to have this work with the software and laptop, I'd still need to buy a top-notch USB sound card with multiple inputs and outputs. I'd also end up with a machine that doesn't interact much with some of the software's controls. It's kind of expensive to buy a software for $160+ and not use it to it's full potential.

Bottom line, I think my regular CD player does a fine job in case of an emergency, so I don't see the need for a Numark (or two).

Truly, the only real issue I have with the XP10 is that I'm from Canada and I'd have to order this from Europe. If everything works A-1, then no problemo. But if I need to have it fixed for any reason, then I'd have to fork out some serious dough to ship it over there.

Internodal.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 3:29 am
ya ur right internodal, i never thought of it that way, but i got my turntables for cheap, at pssl.com they beat any price their is, i deffinitly got the two turntables, a mixer, and possibly ccartridges, for less then two xp10's, and my equipment is not crap

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 9:03 am
The Berhringer B-Control DJ controller along with two turntables. This will give you a 24 bit sound card , midi control of the program , and the real effect because you are using real turntables.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 2:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Internodal, go for the XP10. They are several happy users in this forum, you get the solution you want with them.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:30 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@acw_dj you are right. I have XP10 more than 1 year now. I use them twice a week at gigs. They are great piece of hardware and VDJ supports them perfect!

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:36 pm
Also, as far as the compact factor: EKS will be coming out soon with a rackmount for 2 xp10s (pics at www.eks.fi). IMO, it will make the xp10s even more usable and solid once locked securely in place. Plus, coupled with a 19" mixer (e.g Denon DNX-400 ), the whole thing will fit nicely on a slant-top mixer rack.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:44 pm
Thanks, everyone!

As I said earlier, I'm moving more and more towards the XP10's, because it looks like the best overall solution for my needs.

Internodal.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 9:58 pm
JayDeePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

is ist possible to get an manual of the XP10 Controller in the internet?
Some thinks are still incomprehensibly for me.

I can use only one XP10 Controller for two channels, correct?
Why have you alle two Controllers? Why don´t you switch the channels?

When i turn/spin/reel the Controller-Jog-Wheel, do the software turn/spin/reel the "sound-line" in real time? All the same in which direction I turn?

How comes the sound out of the Controller to my mixer?
Will the music be streamed over the USB Port and then over the Audio Channels into the mixer or is there a sound connection between my PC and the Controller?

I hope you can understand my question...
But, when your german is better than my english, you can read my questions in german exactly here... ;-)))
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=14573

Thanks for your feedback!!!!

Regards
JayDee

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 9:32 am
the reason for heaving two XP10 is because these controllers are sound cards that can be connected directly to you DJ mixer...

If you like to scratch and juggle between the two channnel, it is really better to have two controllers because if you don't you will rapidly be confused...

Best Regards

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 7:33 pm
Hi everyone,

It's me again! :O)

I have a question for those of you who have purchased the VDJPro (XP10 from the Virtual DJ website).

Does this unit come with some sort of warranty, and if so, what are the parameters of this warranty?

Thank you!

Internodal.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 6:20 am
Since such warranty is not mentioned anywhere, I'd double-check with http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/ if this is important to you, and to avoid bad surprises like digitalmdj had a while back (shipping fees back to manufacturer from North America not covered).

Personally, I'm in Europe so shipping the thing back to EKS if needed wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Plus, EKS is a pretty responsive company (they answer requests quite fast).

Posted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 12:05 pm
EKS is not going to pay shiping either way and thats why you are taking a risk. By the time it gets back to you you could have bought a new controller. They also set me up to check if I had a broken wire and then they said I didn't have permission to do it so I got screwed. But either way I am not going to buy a piece of plastic like this again . If you are going to buy something in the USA make sure it's made here.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 3:04 pm
85%