Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Questions about the XP10 controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm a bit confused about the XP10 controller. It seems there is more than one edition of XP10's on the market.

One model has the Virtual DJ signature on top of the scratch/jog wheel, and is available on this website.

Another one is from a company called EKS and appears to have it's own software package (eventhough it is still compatible with VDJ). On this model, the jog wheel has a "metallic" top.

So here are my questions about the XP10's:

- Are the buttons and controls somewhat different from one edition to the other? Or are they EXACTLY the same?

- Is compatibility with other software an issue with either brand?

- Are both products genuine or is one of them a sort of "clone"?

Thanks,
Internodal

*** DJ in Norway, you were right about the major bug we had with the cracked software, by the way. Ever since my partner decided to purchase the software, he played in 3 gigs and guess what? Zero, nada, no crash at all ! It also feels better to have a legal piece of software to work with. Anyways, as soon as I get my new laptop, I want to buy the VDJ software for myself, and order 2 XP10's because they seem to kick some serious butt !! ***

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 6:25 am
At this moment both the EKS and the VDJ XP10 are supported. The VDJ team already noted that this may be changed in the future (Then only the VDJ version is supported).

The VDJ XP10 controllers are made by EKS. There are some differences. Both have the same number of knobs and the layout is the same. The letters and logo's on both controllers are different. The ones on the VDJ controller are mapped special for VDJ. Also the text on the VDJ is the same as stated in the software.

The most safe way is to buy the VDJ controllers (see first point).
Ewout

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 1:50 pm
Buy the EKS version it is compatible with both programs. If you buy the VDJ version you will have a problem with support. Also it wont work with EKS's program. So get it from EKS so it is compatible with both programs.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 2:55 pm
Digitalmdj,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Problems with support". Do you mean support as in technical support? Why would EKS not give me tech support for a product it manufactured, even if it is a special edition for VDJ?

Also, Wouldn't I be better off with the VDJ XP10 if I plan to use only that software?

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 5:37 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Another thing, you could find the EKS xp10 controller cheaper than the VDJ xp10 controller.

Anyway it's the case in France.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 6:54 pm
I just thought of something else. Does the pitch control knob "lock" in the middle, like that of an SL1200 turntable? Or does it glide freely from end to end?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:30 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I think it glides frealy, somebody who owns xp10 should answer.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 6:28 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
freely, no lock in the middle

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 10:05 am
djbambi ,

Thank you for the information. I think it's great that the pitch knob doesn't lock at the 0% mark. I always cursed at the locking pitch knob when I used an SL1200 turntable, or an American DJ Promix controller. Finally, someone out there understood how useless this was!!

Are you satisfied with your XP10's? Which version do you use, the EKS "stock" version, or the VDJ special edition?

I'm looking forward to buying the VDJ software and the XP10 controllers. It is a very exciting time to be in the DJ business with all this technology!

Internodal.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 10:44 pm
> Are you satisfied with your XP10's?

totally! I love pretty much everything about them, and I've had them for one year now.

frankly, the first impression I got when I opened the box was slightly negative: they seemed pretty tiny, and their build quality seemed below what I expected for that price. but those two points were forgotten after one hour: you get used to the size quicky, and as far as build quality, well, I am their sole user in a home studio environment, and I would not trust them to anyone else, as I doubt they'd take much abuse/spills/ashes/overly-enthusiast-button-presses (ask l_rids on this last one :)

that known, 2 XP10s + VDJ is IMHO the most powerful, convenient and user-friendly digital mixing solution one could find one year ago, and it still stands today.

> Which version do you use, the EKS "stock" version, or the VDJ special edition?

I bought the VDJ edition the day it was made available on this site. I had been waiting for one year, playing around with the DJ Console Edition (great fun, but sold the week I got the XP10s).
I put my faith in VDJ long ago, hence the fact that the VDJ edition might not be compatible with other software was no concern for me. And back then the price of a VDJ version was way below the price of the EKS unit.

> I'm looking forward to buying the VDJ software and the XP10 controllers. It is a very exciting time to be in the DJ business with all this technology!

It is indeed a very exciting time. I come from vinyl, years of fun with that. But the XP10s with VDJ brought my fun to new heights.
I hope to see you as a registered VDJ/XP10 owner soon, Atomix deserves it, and you won't regret it :)

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 11:07 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just wondering where everyone is getting their XP10's from for less money than from VDJ?
VDJ has them for 299 Euros each, yet everywhere else that I have looked sells them for at least 350 Euros.
I would really like to use XP10's but can't quite justify the expense yet. They rarely pop up on ebay either.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 3:42 pm
I clicked it today with VAT 2 pieces for 837.2 € icluding VAT and postage.

It's too much, even one for 460.46 € total

I'm visiting munich, germany 1-3rd august. Any ideas of some shop or buddy that has
XP10 or DAC1/DAC-2 for sale for some good price ?

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 4:18 pm
djbambi ,

You have been most helpful and I thank you again for that.

I do have 2 more questions for you, if you please:

1 - I've read another topic in this forum, in which it was said that setting cue points in a song is somewhat difficult with the XP10. It was mentionned that when the cue button is pressed when the song plays, it moves back to the previous cue point, which is fine by me. And when the cue button is pressed when the song is stopped, then the previous cue point is "overwritten" with the actual position in the song? Can you set me straight on this? I would like to know how this machine enables the DJ to set cue points, and move back and forth from one to the other, whether the song is playing or not...

2 - About the Virtual DJ logo in the center of the jog wheel: Is it just a plain old sticker? Or is it "painted" onto the metal top? If it's a sticker, does it come stuck on the wheel?

Thanks for helping me out, as I want to make sure this is the machine I really want... Before paying big moola for it !

Internodal.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 10:58 pm
> "It was mentionned that when the cue button is pressed when the song plays, it moves back to the previous cue point, which is fine by me. And when the cue button is pressed when the song is stopped, then the previous cue point is "overwritten" with the actual position in the song?"

I remember this being the (very annoying) behaviour with the Hercules DJ Console. Maybe it was the default behavior with the default xp10 mappings too, but I don't remember because one of the first things I did was to re-map buttons to my liking (remapping of all buttons is offered in the xp10 config panel in VDJ). For me, [CUE1] = goto cue 1, [SHIFT1]+[CUE1] = set cue 1 at current position, [SHIFT2]+[CUE1] = erase cue 1... a no-brainer, and you won't easily loose your valuable cue points.

This mapping feature is awesome, I almost never have to touch the keyboard or mouse. For example, I even remapped the left and right arrows to move the CBGs (for those cases where, the first time I load a new track, VDJ gets the BPM right but the CBGs are not aligned correctly and I want to place the big square under a first beat). I just wish Atomix would implement multi-action mapping on the xp10 like they do for the keyboard

> "About the Virtual DJ logo in the center of the jog wheel: Is it just a plain old sticker? Or is it "painted" onto the metal top? If it's a sticker, does it come stuck on the wheel?"

I thought it was painted, but I guess it's more like one of those "fake tatoos" stickers, only it'll last longer than 3 days :) check out http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=13525&page=1 for more details about this.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 11:38 pm
Thank's djbambi ,

Then it is settled: I'm going for the big package, 2 XP10's and Virtual DJ 3.0

I already have a basic, rack-mountable Pyramid mixer to start with, but I think a better mixer will be another investment soon to come... :O)

Internodal.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 05 @ 2:05 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'll sell my xp10's to you if you like? lol

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 6:50 am

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 2:57 pm
Digitalmdj ,

Thanks for the info. That new controler seems to have been designed with the same mold as the Berhringer B-Control DJ, and the Hercules DJ Console. Features are pretty much the same, except for the regrettable fact that it doesn't have an audio output.

On that note, I think the XP10's have an advantage, added to the fact that they also have those great touch-sensitive platters. I know you've had issues with EKS and Atomix regarding the XP10 device. I also read your posts about the configuration problems you've had. However, as I see it, the vast majority of XP10 users seem very pleased with their equipement.

But with this said, I must admit I am still a bit torn between buying the XP10's, or waiting for more detailed reviews about the B-Control DJ and the DAC-3. However, I find the philosophy in the digital DJ business to be the same as that of the computer industry: No matter what you're going to buy, it's always going to be old.

Internodal.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 12:47 am
L_Rids ,

Why would you even want to sell your XP10's?? I saw your scratching video and you ROCKED with those machines!! What gives??

Internodal.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 12:47 am
Well I am going with the Berhringer B-Control DJ controller when available . It has usb 2 and 24 bit sound . It also is available in the USA so if it breaks it can go back for very little money. Try sending something back to Europe and see the problems and the cost. Also I will allow use of your turntables. Onle problem is the color and that I can live with.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 2:48 pm
43%