Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The Denon DN MC6000 - Page: 28

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

pbouzanPRO InfinityMember since 2007
kradcliffe wrote :
Thanks for the info. Since I can't get the Asio drivers to work at all I'll run with WDM this weekend and see what happens!

Cheers

Keith

I must admit I've had quite sporadic performance using the ASIO drivers since the word go on both my old laptop and the new DV7 (W7 64bit) and have always been running 2 decks, INT Mixer mode and WDM in Advanced config (left deck speakers 1+2, right deck speakers 3+4) and it works great. Absolutely no latency issues whatsoever akin to vdjeddie's observations so I'm in no rush to change back.

My colleague still has this odd issue of the sound drivers appearing as a 'USB sound device' though?? We've uninstalled, reinstalled, prayed to an alternative god, held furry pets limbs but it ain't playin'...

Posted Sun 27 Mar 11 @ 7:32 pm
I had a lock up last night with the MC6000...I thought it might have been VDJ because I was having lock up issues with VDJ throughout the evening (loading a video in to a deck, pressing automix playlist etc..) My Laptops screen would freez for about 30 to 60 seconds with the exception of the wave form and the external video screen (audio never stopped either). Then a little later the controller went unresponsive on me..I tried to switch to an external Aux 2 Ipod but nothing, the controller was dead. Virtual DJ was still running and I could control VDJ with the mouse. I had to stop the music and restart the 6000 and it still was unresponsive. I then shut down VDJ, restarted the 6000, restarted VDJ and everything was back to running smooth for the next two hours/end of the gig. I am glad the bar was kind of slow and that the manager was very understanding.

A few things I think that might have caused this but I am not sure.

I was netsearching and cashing songs, using all four decks, effects for video and audio, using the 6000 for searching folders and loading songs/videos as well as using the mouse and the 6000 for a lot of the same functions.

So I am wondering if I "midi" confusesd the Laptop or 6000 by trying the same command from different sources throughout the evening and somewhere along the line it just decided to lock up because of mixed signals.

Just thought I would share this with you guys to see if there might have been anything I could have done to NOT have restarted the 6000 or VDJ and not stopped the music at all, as well as get some input on the thoughts of why I think this might have locked up on me.

My Laptop:
Sony VAIO
Vista Home Premium
Centrino Duo T2250 @ 1.73 GHz 1.73 GHz
2 Gigs RAM
32 Bit OS
Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family
2TB EXT HD
DN-MC6000
Current drivers
VDJ Pro Full 7.0.3

Rob

Posted Sun 27 Mar 11 @ 9:32 pm
I think the only thing that jumps out at me is that you're using Vista and only have 2gb of RAM.

I had a similar setup albeit W7 over Christmas and the MC6000 in 4 deck mode would often lock up for some time in a fashion similar to yours purely because it ran out of resources. Even 2 deck mode was getting hairy. Now I've gone up to an i5 and 8Gb of RAM along with a few registry tweaks to make the videos behave in the system & video memory, things are a lot more fluid and incredibly reliable.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 8:20 am
Rob, did you increase the jog response time in the controller firmware?

You need to do this for Vista but really it's not a good OS for MIDI, especially with the MC6000

Keith

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 9:03 am
Hey Rob,
In your spec' I noticed your video card is intergrated.
It does not have dedicated ram for video.
It uses ram from your 2gb system ram eating valuable system ram needed to run vista and VDJ.
I was told way back to get a video card w/ 256mb of ram. My old Dell has an ATI card in it.
Did you happen to notice where your CPU meter runs the highest.
I use XP w/ 2gb of ram on an older laptop and have found a skin that uses the least cpu and ram without playing anything.
Most of the time running video and karaoke mine is it at 20 to 30% (mp3's are at 15 to 20%)
but soon as I load a video or scratch, search, open config. and what not... it can go up to 80 or 90% on the meter.
While DJing a wedding I don't touch anything during special dances just in case.
My 6000 & VDJ also hesitate for a second (song keeps playing fine) when loading a large song or video file
from my external HD instead of a track on my internal HD.
ALSO... I no longer start up XP w/ the 6000 usb plugged in.
I have XP recognize it after start up.
Had issues where VDJ did not see the 6000 and had to restart.
and yes Rob, I had the same problem. when I had my one crash, I had to restart both laptop & 6000.
So much for that ch.4 MP3 player plugged in & ready to go!
But the 6000 is a 9 out of 10 with VDJ & Me!
A new Mac Book is on my Wish List right after a set of new EV Live X powered speakers.
mo money mo money mo money

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 9:09 am
Jam Master Rob wrote :
2TB EXT HD

The 30-60 delay could be the external drive going to sleep. When loading a file, the user interface will freeze while the file is attempting to be accessed (The O/S is waiting for the drive to wake from sleep.)

On most drives, it should only take a few seconds at most to wake from sleep, but some drives may take much longer depending on the design/manufacturer.

I have an external 2Tb desktop drive (Not used for live DJ gigs) that can sometimes take over 30 seconds to wake from sleep (Sometimes longer.)

I also have a 1Tb laptop 2.5" drive that only takes 2-3 seconds at most.

You can also sometimes get a delay loading a cached NetSearch song that needs to update its cache (Depending on your Internet connection at that moment and how busy the servers are.)

As posted above, unfortunately MIDI support in Vista is buggy and will stop working if too many MIDI messages are sent in one go (E.g: Scratching on a high-resolution jogwheel.) The latest Denon firmware for the MC6000 has a workaround for this problem (The jogwheel resolution can be reduced.)

Upgrading to Windows 7 Pro is strongly recommended - Vista is also a very 'bloated' operating system - You will find that your computer runs much more efficiently with Windows 7.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 12:21 pm
Does anyone have any idea why I'm getting no sound with the Denon Asio drivers?

When I load external mixer in 4.1 card mode (WDM) it plays perfectly but when I switch to Asio there is no sound at all.

New laptop is the Acer Iconia, Windows 7 home premium 64bit, 4gb RAM, Intel core i5

http://www.johnlewis.com/231132798/Product.aspx

Exactly the same setup on my Macbook Pro running XP is fine ??????

Keith

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 3:56 pm
To SCOOBYDOO: I get the same problem with my unit, but on the left wheel. I also get the same miditrace readings as well. It looks as if the jogwheel repeatedly sends alternating signals of left right left right, no matter which way you turn it. Because on the good wheel, it only sends one signal for right and another for left. The bad wheel sends both signals one after another. Denon said I just have to return the unit to them.

Have you found a fix? Or is it really just a hardware problem?

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 11:24 pm
@Keith
Yes sir, exactly the way you explained it, thank's for the tip....Just wish I could help you out with your problem.

@Crowdpleasers
My CPU runs the highest when loading a song/video/karaoke file at around 80 to 90% whether it is from my cashe, my laptops HD, or the EXT HD but my Cashed songs load up really fast. The rest of the time my CPU is in the 20 to 40% range. I'm not sure why I was unable to switch to the Ipod pluged in to Aux 2...I guess just because it was a controler lock up and not the software...ugghhh last thing I want to do is run the 6000 in to another mixer then to my amp as a fail safe.

@ JPboggins.
I thought about that too but the screen freez was happening with cashed songs as well and I'm pretty sure my int HD does not go to sleep at least it did not have time to that night. By freez I mean the wave form is the only thing that keep moving on the screen untill the deck loads. My cashed songs usualy update right when I start up VDJ

Keith and I had discused that VISTA is a CPU resource hungry pig and that I might have issues with it and I have considdered upgrading to windows 7 but it almost seems like throwing away a $150 on a bandaid untill I can get a better Lap Top with a better processor, more dedicated DDR3, a great video card, and a 1TB 7200 RPM INT HD. After dropping cash on the 6000 a couple of flight cases and some new lighting I'm a little tapped right now. So I would rather use that money towards a new lap top....ugghhh ....Can I get some cheese with this wine!?

Hey Keith That's a nice Lap Top there I have never seen one like it before. I hope you get your sound card issue resolved.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice!! I will see what I can work out.

Rob

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 11:26 pm
the cue buttons dont work and can listen anything in the heatphones, but everytinhg else works. some help

Posted Tue 29 Mar 11 @ 11:37 am
Read the setup instruction sheet that came with the unit and follow it very carefully.

You can't go wrong if you take care setting up.

Keith

Posted Tue 29 Mar 11 @ 12:47 pm
Is there a way they (Denon) can make this controller run 100% with Windows Vista Operating System? My OS is Vista and this is the only reason for me to keep my $$$ ON HOLD to get this unit as and upgrade to my RMX. I keep on reading these Thread and the Denon DJ Forum since the release of the 6000 in the market and Im hoping they would release new firmware/driver or whatever they call it for Vista users!

If the Denon team assure me this controller will run smoothly or at least 95% in my laptop, then I will call my local music store right away to place an order.

Here's my laptop specifications:

Laptop: ASUS G50V Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel Core2Duo T9400 2.53GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics/Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT with 512MB DDR3 (dedicated memory)
HDD: 500GB 7200rpm

Posted Tue 29 Mar 11 @ 5:47 pm
The problem is Vista,not Denon. The MIDI implementation built in to vista can't handle the amount of data sent by the 6000. You either need to upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new PC to support new hardware.

There is a setting in the MC6000 hardware for the jogwheels that can help a bit by slowing down the data rate but people are still having problems with Vista despite this.

Keith

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 1:14 am
Sucks to hear about problems with Vista. I am still using XP on a vaio and I haven't had any problems so far at home but I have yet to take the mc6000 out for a gig. So is the consensus that XP works great for all so far?

Also, in the new VDJ7 skin, there is a pitch bend feature but I miss the way in older versions how you could nudge the speed one click (1/10th of a BPM) at a time example: Mix Lab 3.1...

Moving the pitch fader by hand is very drastic and not nearly as precise. Is there a way to change the pitch bend to pitch change.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 1:17 pm

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 1:25 pm
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just going to have to overcome my fears of mapping and dive in.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 6:02 pm
Virusmind wrote :
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just going to have to overcome my fears of mapping and dive in.

You've got 5 controllers in your avatar :-0 Mapping should be second nature buddy!

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 6:49 pm
So I'm a bit confused.. It seems pressing key-learn tells which key your remapping and that action learn tells where you are remapping to.. But I just want to rewrite what a key does. I want pitch bend (+/-) to speed the music in increments. (just like mix lab 3.1)

The definition of pitch bend - is: var '$shift' ? nothing : pitch_bend -2% 500ms

I take the above post to mean I should erase this definition and substitute: pitch -0.1% in its place. Having tried that I can't seem to accomplish my goal. I must be missing the obvious. After I rewrite the definition I simply click OK as there is no "save" button. When I go back to config it still says what I wrote (pitch -0.1%) but the pitch bend button still does what it has always done (var '$shift' ? nothing : pitch_bend -2% 500ms).

Thanks in advance,

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 7:18 pm
Yeah no doubt, I have a few DJ's working for me but that doesn't make me a genius. Or even smart enough to figure this out.

Posted Thu 31 Mar 11 @ 7:21 pm
Have you modified the mapping of the correct button for the correct controller?

Go to CONFIG -> Mappers and make sure that you have selected the DN-MC6000 in the drop-down list.

Then find and click on PITCHBEND- in the drop-down list.

Make sure that the action is typed as follows:

pitch -0.1%

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 4:37 am
70%