Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The Denon DN MC6000 - Page: 14

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

pbouzanPRO InfinityMember since 2007
<touch wood>

I seem to be doing fine with mine so far. Had the niggles on NYE but since then the system has been good to me. I can only really run in two deck mode and with the sound cards feeding the two middle channels as my laptop doesn't really like the strain of the 4 deck full midi and video. A new laptop is on the cards as soon as I recover from the impact of three teenage kids and a demanding collection of girlfriends!

A bit of console pr0n for you. Only finished it a few days ago and it's packed with goodies :)))

Posted Fri 21 Jan 11 @ 10:00 am
Hi,
Setup looks good. If I were you , I would play a song in one deck and leep scratching with a song in another deck for about a minute and see what happens. I would rather you be aware of a problem now then to have a frozen setup at an event.

Posted Fri 21 Jan 11 @ 12:12 pm
pbouzan wrote :
<touch wood>

I seem to be doing fine with mine so far. Had the niggles on NYE but since then the system has been good to me. I can only really run in two deck mode and with the sound cards feeding the two middle channels as my laptop doesn't really like the strain of the 4 deck full midi and video. A new laptop is on the cards as soon as I recover from the impact of three teenage kids and a demanding collection of girlfriends!

A bit of console pr0n for you. Only finished it a few days ago and it's packed with goodies :)))

Hey, I like the setup, how do you find the Studiomaster mixer? I am looking at getting one for karaoke and was wondering what they are like?

Cheers Tom

Posted Fri 21 Jan 11 @ 12:36 pm
pbouzanPRO InfinityMember since 2007
billyzee wrote :
Hi,
Setup looks good. If I were you , I would play a song in one deck and leep scratching with a song in another deck for about a minute and see what happens. I would rather you be aware of a problem now then to have a frozen setup at an event.

Ever since I saw this problem posted I've been testing the issue but cant get either MC or VDJ to lock up. I don't tend to scratch as such but do use the scratch mode to cue tracks up and for the occasional effect so the feature is constantly in use as it were. Have you tried using a different USB cable? It could be a timing issue and my past experiences have shown that this can often be the cause of unexplained problems. USB timeouts are only 26 nanoseconds remember, loose a few of them and it's game over!

The only real problem I have is that with the MC6000 attached it places a huge strain on the laptop resources. Both processors run at 75% or more and I can't really use much more than a fade transition and titler otherwise I get video frames being dropped.

tomvassie wrote :

Hey, I like the setup, how do you find the Studiomaster mixer? I am looking at getting one for karaoke and was wondering what they are like?
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom. I've got three of those C3X units in my PA racks here and recommend them highly. They are fantastic when it comes to getting 4 mics and 4 lines together with a monitor send and effects. The effects section can be a little hissy if you go too high but that's nothing major for PA work and it has excellent reverbs for vocals which are perfect for live and karaoke use. (why oh why did Denon put a Fisher Price 'echo' in the MC???)

The setup you see was originally in a Gator Studio-2-Go 4 case with the laptop in the top section and the addition of a media operator in the front with the C3X at the top and Sennys below. I used the C3X as the main mixer for karaoke for well over a year before building this console and once you get used to the location of the knobs, mixing with it is quite easy. If you look closely I put white knobs on the first control of each mic section and also lines 5/6 and 9/10 (left and right decks fed from a Gigaport HD). That way when glancing down you get an instant reference to the location of the mics and deck levels. It's a lot easier than you might think at first and even with my sausage fingers I got used to it in the first few shows. I do 3-5 karaoke gigs a week.

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 7:08 am
Hey everyone .. I'm new to VDJ . I just bought mc 6000 and its great . but i'm having a problem with video's . while mixing the video's they get choppy and audio.. i' running a macbook pro 2.5 core 2 duo 4 g's of ram.. other then that its great.. i'm using vdj le but upgraded to pro

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 8:59 am
Hey Tom, I could probably go the night also without a freeze, but seriously just run a song in one deck and then constantly move the other wheel for a minute or more and tell me what happens. Keep the song you are scretching on stop. This will happen in Cd or vinyl mode. I use this laptop for VDJ only and have everything off that should be off on the laptop.

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 9:50 am
I'm quite concerned as to why so many people are having these performance issues, is there any reason the denon causes such strain on them? Could it be something that gets rectified in a future firmware update? Mine is coming on Monday and I'm hoping and praying my "ok" spec laptop can handle it. It manages VDJ with my Rmx (running 4 decks) while mixing videos (including transitions and effects) as well as another application being open... So i guess fingers crossed!

Si

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 11:53 am
pbouzan wrote :
The only real problem I have is that with the MC6000 attached it places a huge strain on the laptop resources. Both processors run at 75% or more and I can't really use much more than a fade transition and titler otherwise I get video frames being dropped.

Having the MC6000 attached should not cause such a significant increase in CPU.

Have you maximised or resized the skin? This can cause a considerable increase in CPU usage depending on the capabilities of your graphics card and whether you have chosen quality resizing in CONFIG -> Performances.

Make sure that you use the skin at its correct native size. If it's not big enough, you can download custom skins from http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/skins.html

Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/jpboggis/blogs/4094/Common_performance_issues_and_solutions.html for other causes of performance issues and their solutions.

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 12:23 pm
Well I'm running the MC6000 on a dual core 2.8ghz Macbook Pro 17" on XP 32bit.

Music playback is 10-20% and video playback with effects never goes above 50%

No problems there whatsoever.

Keith

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 1:02 pm
MC 6000, Macbook Pro i7, 2,66 ghz/8GB ram,OSX 10.6.6
CPU 9%-12% playing music and 15%-25% playing videos

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 1:18 pm
Your Right! That echo on the 6000 is a joke!
Why did Denon even waste their time? Still must use my 3 mic mixer into a line in channel on the 6000.

Changing the skin resolution to match your settings in display properties makes a big difference in CPU usage.
I only use my Laptop for DJing - XP, Drivers & VDJ is the only thing installed and running!!!
My backup laptop is a really old dell with XP sp3 - 1ghz, pent.3 - 1 Gig ram with nothing running but VDJ 7 and i can even play karaoke files.
Only max's out when loading tracks but has no problem running and I even hooked it up to my MC6000 - No problems yet.
My only problem is mapping buttons on the 6000 to skin functions. can't seem to get that down??????
BTW, Lowering my video hardware accelleration got rid of choppy, popping audio.
Almost ready to sell my HC4500 and USB mixer.
DJ CP

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 2:09 pm
OK Im planning on playing a gig with the 6000 next weekend, but I have had the freezes. I need a backup plan - what would you recommend for a backup setup?

Posted Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 10:15 pm
I would not use the 6000 until they fix the freezing issue. Why take that chance? Use your current setup. If you are brave to take it out then you will need another mixer and audio source, because you will need to turn off the Dennon 6000 to reset and fix the freeze. While the Dennon is off switch to your other mixer, which has a song ready to go.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 2:00 am
I got caught out with this in the club last night.

About 1.15am, club was pretty busy. In error I had started playing the edit of Cascada - Evacuate the dancefloor (ironically!) and I needed the 12" version to mix in to. I loaded that on deck B then was quickly turning the jogwheel in bend mode to catch the other track up and VDJ and the controller completely froze.

I then let the song finish, announced I needed 30 seconds and it all went to shit.

I had to ctrl+alt+del to get out of VDJ then when I restarted the controller then restarted VDJ there was no music. In my panic I forgot VDJ starts with the faders down due to the bug that's not yet fixed so I rebooted the PC. I then started VDJ and got the error in the skin XML message and I was completely stuck as it wouldn't restart. I then moved my skin out of the folder to force VDJ to default to the normal skin.

This all took about 10 minutes, luckily I just swapped over to the feed from the live band upstairs, but one of the directors of the complex was in and not too happy to say the least. I also lost my playlist of requests and songs to play so it just knocked the stuffing right out of me.

I'm not going to use the MC6000 again until there is a permanent fix. Why are Denon taking so long to sort this out?

Keith

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 10:53 am
Keith, thanks for posting this. I want to use the Dennon also, but professional DJs can not risk equipment failure. Everyone who says there DEnnon MC6000 is working perfectly beware, because it will happen at an event. You will look bad and you may lose further work from this false sense of security that your setup is not affected by this freeze. Dennon and VDJ please hurry with a fix. It is not a computer issue.

I found a fix to keep the faders from going down on the startup in VDJ. Go to the Dennon mapper. Find Sound = sound. Delete it or just delete "= sound". This will keep the faders up on startup.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 2:31 pm
I thought it was Volume rather than sound.

I've already deleted this but the problem is still there.

Keith

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 2:47 pm
@Keith, out of everyone it seems like you have had the longest run without the freeze though, dont know where I'm going with this, lol!

Speaking out load........
Huey

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 2:52 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
@Keith, out of everyone it seems like you have had the longest run without the freeze though

That's purely because up until last night I had only used the jogs for small amounts of pitch bending. First time I tried something faster and it locked.

Definitely a midi issue with the jogs.

Keith

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 3:16 pm
I just did an hour and had no problems. Obviously the jog issue is gonna be huge for scratchers. For now, if you want to jump more than 20 or so seconds in a track, click on the waveform rather than use the jogs. No big deal. Pitch bend was fine.

Hopefully a fix will be coming soon. In the mean time, now I've figured out how to set it all up for my own preference, I'm very impressed with the intuitive controls and sound quality. There's are obvious reasons it's £280 more than the VMS4.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 4:20 pm
Just so you know guys, Silvio has posted this on the Denon forums:

"Hi Guys, our engineers have been working hard to resolve this random freeze issue since it was first mentioned.
There's 100% chance that the solution will be a simple firmware update that takes 10-seconds.
Hang tight, a solution is near."

Si

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 5:50 pm
35%