Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How to setup your NSFX and NS7 to work with VDJ flawlessly... yes flawlessly - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
Question, how did you make the custom vinyl labels?

I made the graphic in Photoshop. My buddy Jason works at Action Bluprint (Manchester, CT USA). They have a printer that prints on a 24" sheet of sticker vinyl. We scaled the graphic down to a little over 3.5" circle which is a bit bigger than the origional label. After cutting, the label should be 3.5" exactly. For that I used a "compass cutter" (find them on ebay) to cut them. That vinyl is extremly durable and can, but does not need to be laminated (as shown is not laminated).

Or Option #2 PLATNUM BABY!

YUP! Call my buddy Steve at http://www.goldrecord.com he really hooked me up and he offers the blank record labels to print your designs on. I did not get them, so I don't know what they look like. Credit to DJ Esco (on youe tube) for finding these in the first place!

Steve really took care of me even when shipping lost my order. He is a stand up kind of guy and I highly recomend him. Tell him Don sent you. He is familiar with what the NS7 is and has talked to Numark about offering Platnum records. So no need for a lengthy explanation of what you want to do. He is a sharp guy. Good luck!

Keep em shining! (crap) I mean spinning!

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 3:35 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I covered up the ITCH logo on my VCI-300 with a VDJ label I made up here at home. No sense in giving away plugs for something I'm not using...

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 3:44 pm
I forgot to mention, these are the mounted Platnum vinyl records. They offer a stick of version that sticks onto the OEM NS7 vinyl that sells for a little less.

DJ Esco on You Tube has a few videos demonstrating the mounted and sticker type.

Also - Option 3 for sticker back "record" labels. Use blank CD labels. They don't hold up as well or look as nice, but it is an option.

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 3:47 pm
FLUXXDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Dhoude, that is frigan awesome man. How can I get them plats baby? And a vinyl VDj logo sticker buddy? I'd be willing to pay for the logo man. How much are those platinum records man? Are they metal or plastic? Hit me back..

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 6:53 pm
The records shown are $35 a pair plus shipping through Steve at the GoldRecord.com link above. The records have a real metal layer on one side only (the bottom is white and I didn't ask about the type of metal) below a good amount of clear coat. They are real vinyl pressings that are actually playable too, from what Steve says. Quality, I like them, I am REALLY picky and at first (with no label) they don't look as clean and perfect as the NS7 vinyl. They also require a bit of centering once spinning but that is not hard to do. If the OEM vinyl is a 10, I give them and 8 to a 9 though. I know you don't know me, but that is a very conservitive (perhaps hash) estimate. My wife thinks they are perefct in broad day light, let alone a club setting.

If you want the vinyl labels, PM me your email and a logo idea you had in mind. As far as costs, I get the sheets printed off a 36 inch (I think) roll and I have to buy that section of vinyl, so I can't go any smaller or just make 2. So that costs $20 for about 10 circle sized labels and that includes the printing (so add shipping to you only, he is local to me). So you can have some left over for stickers. Laminated is extra and my buddy recomends it for outdoor use. I can also use my compass cutter to cut the circles perfectly for you, but only if they are going to be put on the records. My compas cutter puts a couple pin pricks in the middle that don't look good if they are to be used as stickers. If they go on the records, you just cut that part out anyway, so the ping prick in the middle won't matter.

If you want the labels mounted on the records by me, we can talk $ (for my time) too. I am by far the pickiest person I know (to a fault) so it will come out right. Once you like the logo and we decide the details, I imagine that paypal is probably the perfered method for anything on my end.

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 10:55 am
Thanx for the info Dhoude...

Posted Sun 18 Jul 10 @ 11:51 pm
I have a question for you now. My old laptop pissed me off 1 to many times (desktop is fine). So I bought a new Win 7 64 bit Sony Vaio with the i7 processor and 6 gig ram.

I DL'd the latest 64 bit drivers form my NS7 and I am getting this error when setting up the sound card

It says "Error in ASIO sound driver: Not Enough Channels" Any ideas? It still works fine on my 32 bit XP desktop.

I just realized there was a firmware update that I forgot to do. Does this mean I can't use it on 32 bit OS anymore?

Posted Tue 20 Jul 10 @ 8:04 pm
After checking around a bit. I already had that firmware on the NS7. So I uninstalled the drivers, restart, reistalled, restart and it is working ok now. The NS7 would not work in Itch either, so something happened.

Now I am just trying to get the settings right for good sound and performance.

Posted Wed 21 Jul 10 @ 6:42 am
djjochiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
DHoude wrote :
Showin a little love VDJ and leaving Itch behind!

For anybody who remaps thier NS7. Brothers makes a 1/4" black label tape with white letters (part# TZ-315) that works perfect for relabeling, re mapped buttons. It blends well and almost looks factory.

Made the VDJ sticker myself (just below the crossfader) to cover up the Itch logo.

What laptop stand are you using?

Posted Wed 21 Jul 10 @ 8:52 am
That is the NS7 OEM one. I have a 20 inch LCd monitor on it, instead of a laptop. That is what the upside down V is.

Posted Wed 21 Jul 10 @ 11:43 am
I did the same thing with my stand, it supports my 22" Lcd monitor as I refuse to use any laptop for djing. PC desktop for me only.

Posted Sat 24 Jul 10 @ 11:28 pm
Good to know, I felt that way for a while. I hate the idea, but stability and perfect sound is what I am after.

Think I am going to join you and get a Gateway. The laptop I bought blew. Numark says the most important part is meeting that processor minimum of 2.4 ghz. My new laptop, even though it was the new i7, was 1.7ghz before the "turbo boost". There was times where it was decent, but when it wasn't, it was real bad (static).

Posted Sun 25 Jul 10 @ 8:31 am
Well fellas, verdict CONFIRMED!. My new Asus Desktop with an i5 3.2ghz runs my NS7 pretty well. It is ALLOT less money then the top end Mac (at $750 for the tower only) AND has dual monitor support built in!. Cant believe it! but I have been spinning for an hour now and seems real solid.

And the Latency is....... 256 - 7ms (in the NS7 control panel and with Keylock on). Uncheck safe mode and overclock and set everything toward latency (not quality). Not so impressive, but plenty fast to scratch into tracks, etc. For a guy how is an Audiophile, with a Krell and Vienna Acoustis system, the sound is dam near perfect. I can also use master tempo now.

Hope this helps stop the insanity for somebody out there.

Posted Sun 25 Jul 10 @ 6:46 pm
DHoude wrote :
Well fellas, verdict CONFIRMED!. My new Asus Desktop with an i5 3.2ghz runs my NS7 pretty well. It is ALLOT less money then the top end Mac (at $750 for the tower only) AND has dual monitor support built in!. Cant believe it! but I have been spinning for an hour now and seems real solid.

And the Latency is....... 256 - 7ms (in the NS7 control panel and with Keylock on). Uncheck safe mode and overclock and set everything toward latency (not quality). Not so impressive, but plenty fast to scratch into tracks, etc. For a guy how is an Audiophile, with a Krell and Vienna Acoustis system, the sound is dam near perfect. I can also use master tempo now.

Hope this helps stop the insanity for somebody out there.

What kind of video card? Onboard or slotted? Test it thoroughly and actually hook up another display for video output. If there are no problems with the dual video output, add your video card specs to the" 2010 video card list" in a different thread. Also add it if it doesnt work so others can avoid it. That means that you should be able to scratch video, use transitions and effects without any problems. Alot of onboard cards that say they support dual video output, dont work to good with VDJ. Not trying to spook you, just making you aware. When I first got my gateway, its onboard card supports dual video. And it will allow me to mix video, but has alot of problems with video scratching, effects etc. So I bought a PCI express slot sound card that is way beefier, and no more problems. If everyone would take the approach like you have, by adjusting settings and hardware, they would get a sound setup also. But alot of people like to blame the software. And it rarely is the software. Check out the list for video cards I mentioned, mine is listed there. cya bro

Posted Sun 25 Jul 10 @ 9:59 pm
It is built into the mother board (Intel, from what I see) and I already have 2 monitors set up. They are set to extend my desktop and VDj has been set to output video to the second monitor. I may be bad at scratching right now, but it was working last night. I bought this desktop to get latency down so that I can start learning that. As bad as I may be now, I can scratch into a track and get the timing right, so I will get there.

I will do allot of testing this week before submitting it. But this new PC works quite well.

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 4:27 am
Sweet good deal man. Test that video card vigorously so you know its limitations. Save u alot of embarrassment come gig time. cya

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 3:45 pm
I don't have my next club night yet, but I should a few weeks (maybe end of August). Still running good. Just a single audio hicup if I am playing an audio track and then load a video to play next, for the first time. Once the window is loaded in the second monitor, that never happens again.

Using the Intel drivers from Windows update (instead of the Asus ones) really lowered latency. That was the best thing so far. DPC runs between 300 and 600 (with VDJ running and video playing dual monitor) with occasional spikes up to 850. Done all I can to improve (disabled services and devices one by one, etc) nothing else really made a difference. May get an i7 as I want my latency "us" lower. Just not sure it will get me below the 256 mark in NS7 control panel or at least run 256 with a little more "head room". What are you able to run?

So far, all settings are to simple and latency (even scratch) and using master tempo 3 and 1 to clean up the sound when BPM is changed with keylock on. Tried your settings after finding these and it did not like them much. So I went back to these.

Got some sweet tweaks for the NSFX mapper too. I run the CE skin form L2. When I am on source A/B or Main (loop) it jumps me to the scratch panel. When I turn it to Aux (video control), it calls up the video panel. All while keeping the origional integrity of the comands already on those knobs. REALLY sweet and less need for a mouse. Now if only we could change audio effects with the turn of the knob and not on the effect panel.

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 6:42 pm
I use the 256 samples latency setting. Its extremely responsive, 1:1 as far as I can tell or any of my listeners. To be honest, I've never even tried to go lower than that. The DPC you referred to, thats a latency tracking tool, right? I've never used that either. The only tool I've used to modify VDJ is the registry tool. The CE skin from L2? Not sure what your talking about. And I dont use the scratch panel either, as I see no personal need for it. I have mapped all the effects I use the most to my F1-F12 keys, so that I dont have to use a mouse to select an effect. Basically any key you want to assign them to on your keyboard would do. But it works really good for me. I hit F1 which is beatgrid and use the NSFX on/off button to trigger it. My on/off button is mapped to only trigger effect while it is pushed. So I can trigger alot of effects quickly by pushing the corresponding F1-F12 keys and using the NSFX on/off button. What drivers were you talking about that were ASUS and then you used windows update to get intel drivers? What were these drivers for? I cant help it that my basic settings have made me an NS7 GOD!! hahaha

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 4:39 pm
CE skin - Author - Listen 2 - Link: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/8875/C_E_.html

It has 3 center panels - Mixer (I don't use) - Video (use sometimes, just starting video mixing) - Scratch (use all the time)

The only really cool feature on the scratch panel is the Cue point count downs to help with my mix timing. Cue point timers are the most useful thing on that skin. Use them with the Track ramain timer and any newbe can mix like a pro.

Yes on the DPC latency checker tool. I have had old PCs, so I am use to using it to get things working right.

I tried some lower latency settings today (128) and no real issue until I closed VDJ and then DPC Latency checker tool went to 14,000 (I normally run 400 to 800). I really like 128, but I may go back as it is an un needed risk. Only thing I don't like right now at 256 and lower is I still get some distortion when resetting the pitch, while it slowly tracks back. I find an instant jump to 0 (or pitch center position) is fine seeing as I only limt my range to +/- 8%. Then I never hear distortion (even though it was light before).

The Asus drivers.. Every PC Like Dell, HP, Asus, etc has a set of OEM drivers for all the parts in your PC. Normally those are the best ones to use. After getting and installing all the latest drivers from Asus.com. I did a Windows update then next day, which recomended different video drives (either Windows or straight from Intel, who make the video card in that machine). I decided to try the Windows update ones and after a restart, Latency was about 100us better (950us down to 850us max). Seeing as how 1000us is the start of issues, that move gave some much needed room.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 8:43 pm
Yes, you are right about the tempo distortion. When i move the tempo slider on the NS7 you can hear some popping or digitizing, whatever you want to call it. But if you stay within 15% and transition slowly it is barely noticeable. Or use the auto tempo function by clicking on the skin and it moves the tempo back to zero slowly for you. I know others have complained of this also. Im not sure if it is hardware or software related? Maybe it has been commented on and someone from VDj reading this will point us in the right direction, so that we can be flawless.....

Posted Thu 29 Jul 10 @ 5:56 pm
27%