Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How to setup your NSFX and NS7 to work with VDJ flawlessly... yes flawlessly - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

FLUXXDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi to all. Yes the NS7 and its effects controoler will and do work flawlessly with VDj. And if you or one of those who have given up or just dont know how, then buddy you are missing out on pure mixxing bliss. First of all I would like to give my thanks and gratitude to all of VDj personnel who have made the fixes and spent so much time adapting the software to work with the NS7. I cant say the same about Serato. They have no support system, and give very little in regards to service and updates. Those of you who have purchased the NS7 know that it is branded with the Serao ITCH logo. The Numark NS7 was created to be seamless with the ITCH software. And if you have used it with that software, it is no more stable with serato ITCH than previously with VDj. The idea with ITCH was to be able to have the software loaded on your computer and just plug in the NS7 and nsfx and away you go. Everything is premapped for you. Almost like turning your turntables on and start spinning. Well the idea was nice if you just happen to like serato's idea of how the software is setup around the NS7 and NSFX. That's right, you have no control over the mapping of the buttons. Which really, really, SUCKS. In order to trigger an effect you have to scroll through the list using a round knob untill you find the right one you want to use. Try doing that on the fly while searching for the effect and the next one, while applying them to the right part of the music. Nearly impossible. I'll sum up the ITCH software. And let me first say this to all the sceptics, I have done my share of bad mouthing VDJ for the tech. problems I have had in the past. IT is very frustrating. So I am not in any way a brainwashed cheerleader for VDJ, I only preach what I know works from hundreds of hours of tweaking and searching out the answers to make my system work correctly. The only thing the ITCH software has going for it is that the sound engine is pretty damn good. Meaning, that ITCH reproduces the sound very nicely even whle scratching. It sounds great. But, VDj took care of that problem with the 6.08 update, which had an upgrade in it for the NS7 motorized platter. I am going to name off everything that my system is doing flawlessly at this point in time, as not everyone out there is utilizing the same parts of the software. I will list my specs at the end of this message. I mix video together with video effects running at the same time and audio effects at the same time. NO problems. I can go from audio to video using all the transitions and effects. I use the sonique plugin in the background by using the transperancy option, and play videos on both decks. This is a cool effect, it spices up the videos a little bit. I can then also have text or firetext on the screen. No problems. I can scratch at anytime with no glitches. This has all been tested with the new grooveshark files and netsearch. My system has been stable for over two weeks now pushing it to the max. People there is no one fix that fits everyone's situation. We all dont use the same hardware, if we did then one fix would fix all. But as it stands, we all use different hardware brands and different performance ratings. I can only give you what is working for my hardware. But, the same troubleshooting techniques can be applied to all others out there to get to the root of your problems and conflicts. I assure you right now, that VDJ Pro 6.1 is the most stable version ever to be put out by atomix productions. Here are a few quick fixes that may help alot of people.
1. First of all, NEVER play a netsearch file on a deck that hasnt finished downloading. Big NO NO!! Always download to cache.
2. Make sure you are using a compatible video card and it is configured properly to work with VDj if you are video mixxing. Also download the registry tool software from the downloads section under tools in VDj website. (See the 2010 video card list in the forums)
3. Always go with the least performance demanding options first and then increase performance options one at a time. This will save alot of headaches.
4. And most important!!! DONT blame VDJ for your technical problems. They will help you one on one to get to the bottom of what is going on. But if you start throwing blame around, it only makes it harder to get to the bottom of the problem. And you will not be able to look correctly into what YOUR hardware is doing wrong.
Yes it would be nice to just load the software and away you go. And maybe one day it will. But as long as technologies keep changing every second and hardware and O/S do too, you will have to tweak things to make them all work together. The VDj software gives the user the ability to do alot, and customize the software to the individual. There arent alot of those out there. So keep all this in mind before you rant and rave in the wrong direction. Because nine times out of ten from my experience, the problem lies with you the individual, and if you take that approach you will fix your problems alot faster. Feel free to PM me or write however it works and I will be more than happy to pass on anything that can help other NS7 users. Once the software is working, its so awesome to use. Peace out
Gateway AMD Phenom II quad core 2.6 Ghz
8 Gig Ram
Nvidia 9800 Gt dual dvi 1 Gig Vram
Win 7 64 bit Home prem
NS7 and NSFX with the latest drivers and firmware

PS- The mapper VDj put out for the NSFX is frigan awesome. They give you the ability to control audio, video, sampler and the other deck from the NSFX with the trun of a single knob. Frigan awesome.

Posted Sat 05 Jun 10 @ 2:43 pm
Can you if possible would you email me your mapper for the NSFX but i just cant get it right and I or send me the forum from were u got it from because I've been looking for a while now on the forums and i cant find it so can you help?

Posted Sat 26 Jun 10 @ 2:27 pm

Posted Sat 26 Jun 10 @ 3:32 pm
Yeah buddy, the only way to get the awesome mapper legally is with the full version software. If u got any ques about the functionality of the mapper let me know fellow ns7er.

Posted Sun 27 Jun 10 @ 10:22 pm
This is good news to me. I just haven't really took a time to bother with trying to make my NS7 with FX work properly with VDJ. I run a MAC so hoping that I get some luck figuring it out. Can't wait to go home and try it out

Posted Mon 28 Jun 10 @ 7:20 pm
So then perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why myself and DJ Cyder are both using version 6.05 and not the latest version? Is it a Mac vs PC thing, or did you just happen to strike gold using your NS7 with VDJ? And what about the mic, lol, tell me yours works!

Posted Mon 28 Jun 10 @ 7:38 pm
Yeah, my mic does work. Because it is pluged into an amplifier. I have no real need to run my mic through my ns7. Maybe u do, but it isn't that necessary. As with the 6.05 I guess that is a mac issue. Ask atomix. But the fact still remains that after tweaking my system and buying the apropriate hardware my ns7 vdj system works flawlessly. And I have posted this to help any other ns7 users to tweak their sysems so that they can to have a working setup. Lol. So my ns7 spins and scratches video with audio tracks. Lol with all the functions and extras of the software. Lol. And my customers can't stand it, they love what vdj can do for their senses. This software allows me to be an artist not only a dj. And combined with the ns7, lift off. Find something better to complain about than a stupid mic input buddy. There's a lot more good than bad. If u are not part of the solution, than u r part of the problem. Nothing good can come of a negative attitude. Cya

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 10:15 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well said

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 11:10 am
Is there a forum that can help NS7FX users with VDJ? I wondering if there are some guidelines for someone uses a MAC Book Pro. Seems like mapping is fine with VDJ 6.1 but getting the sound quality is really hard to try to tweak or configure. Any suggestion or specific forum that can help a MAC user with a NS7FX?

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 3:28 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
jprepato83 wrote :
Seems like mapping is fine with VDJ 6.1 but getting the sound quality is really hard to try to tweak or configure.

I have the NS7FX as and the sound is great (with XP SP3 and VDJ 6.1). Besides it is nothing more than the NS7 and the NSFX (seperate units) that just so happened to be sold together in the same box. So you should be in the right area as the NSFX does not process sound at all.

What is wrong with the sound?

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 6:29 pm
The songs seem to play slower and distorted. I have a MacBook Pro and I use snow leopard to run my NS7. So I'm trying to find out how to tweak it right or configure it right. I can boot camp my mac which I already did and I run Windows 7. I really want to us my MAC OS instead of the Windows OS. So any help or suggestion would be great for a MAC user.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 7:41 pm
I had the same issue at first. Here is what happened with me (but it is windows). When I brought the NS7 home, I just installed the latest drivers from the Numark webpage. I already had VDJ 6.08 installed, so I launched it and tried it out. For me, it played in slow motion (key really low, Rhiana sounded like a dude!) but not really distorted.

Then I installed Itch 1.5 and ran it to check and the NS7 worked fine in itch. I closed itch and went back to VDJ 6.08 now it was fine. Now I did restart my PC after the driver install. I also restarted VDJ a few times and played with settings. It did not work until after itch was installed. Not sure why, but that is my first experience. It did the same thing on the back up laptop. Except the backup laptop have VDJ 6.1 as I did not really want to install itch.

Now I will say that I had to back off and uncheck all of the better/smother audio options (and gear more towards performance and latency) and set the USB buffer (in the NS7 setup) to 512 and uncheck ultra latency. It has been working quite well ever since. One might say flawlessly (except the mix and aux ports).

I have also noticed that, one time, I opend VDJ and ran a song (it played fine). Then I went to open internet explorer and accedently launched VDJ (icons are next to eachother). I closed the second instance of VDJ, got on the internet and then went back to VDJ. At that point, VDJ (1st instance) also now played slow even though it was the first instance that was playing fine. I closed that first instance of VDJ and then reopened it and all was fine. I am not sure, but I know my wife's MAC likes to leave programs running (small black up arrow below running prgrams in the bottom bar). Maybe check to see if you opend any other audio programs at the same time?

I also just can't run itch in the back ground like many here seem to (to get the mic to work). It makes everything run, play and sound slow.

Posted Sat 03 Jul 10 @ 7:59 am
---------->Jprep..
You can view all my specs and settings at another thread "video mixxing" on here titled "2010 video card list" I dont know much about Macs sorry, as i prefer a pc. And running windows 7 bootcamped, im not sure how stable that is either. But the settings within vdj should be helpful that i have listed. take care buddy. and always start with the performance settings first. cya

Posted Sat 03 Jul 10 @ 3:08 pm
emaofiaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hey guys, so do you know if the next update will include a mic fix? im running fine with windows vista on a toshiba, and i cant run itch in the background for it either..

thanks, AO

Posted Tue 06 Jul 10 @ 3:04 pm
Nobody has said a word on any threads. I am watching them all.

Posted Tue 06 Jul 10 @ 6:36 pm
There hasnt been an official comment on that from Atomix yet.

Posted Wed 07 Jul 10 @ 7:22 pm
Hello everyone. A few people have been asking me about the NSFX mapper and where it can be found. It now comes preloaded into VDJ pro 6.1. So all you have to do is hook up the NSFX prior to loading VDJ and when you load VDJ it automatically recognizes the NSFX just like in the ITCH software. If it doesnt, under the mappers section of the config menu, click on rescan for new devices and make sure that midi devices is checked off. And off the subject here for a moment. I would like to share somehing cool I have done to trigger effects really quickly without having to turn a knob to search for them. I have assigned the effects I use the most to my keyboard's F1-F12 keys. The action I assigned is"select effect" and then the desired effect name. So the keyboard is selecting the effect and then i use my NSFX parameter controls and effect activate button to control the effects. By doing this u can trigger alot of effects quickly and in certain combo moves which can give a nice effect, like going from flippn doubles to beatgrid. It sounds really cool. I also have changed my FX ON/OFF button to "activate effect while pressed" This allows me to trigger the effect only while i am pushing the button down. C-YA

OH and P.S. I dont know who started the rumor that you can run ITch in the background to get the mic control to work. But uh, yeah the mic control works but it screws everything else up. So if anyone is sucessfully mixxing with both softwares running at the same time. Please let uncle Fluxxy know, thanx

Posted Thu 08 Jul 10 @ 9:51 am
Showin a little love VDJ and leaving Itch behind!

For anybody who remaps thier NS7. Brothers makes a 1/4" black label tape with white letters (part# TZ-315) that works perfect for relabeling, re mapped buttons. It blends well and almost looks factory.

Made the VDJ sticker myself (just below the crossfader) to cover up the Itch logo.

Posted Fri 16 Jul 10 @ 5:24 pm
Question, how did you make the custom vinyl labels?

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 10:47 am
See thats what I'm talking about! Showing the love to Vdj for all they have done to make our NS7s sing baby. Too cool on the logo. I'm gonna do the same to my machine.. hehe And to anyone out there who thinks we're just a couple of fanboys. Your right!! We are. We all dropped close to $1,400.00 on our machines. So anyone software company that gives me the ability to spin glitch free and take full advantage of my machines functions, I'm all about it. Infact serato just added a beatgrid to the ITCH 1.7, because everyone in the serato forums was asking"Can we get a beatgrid like in VDj has." And yes ITCH 1.7 is still glitchy with the NS7, I would not use it securely out performing. But in their defense it is a beta. But ITCH 1.5 is glitchy too so it dont matter none. I'm really dissappointed in Serato. I dont know what the hell there marketing department was thinking by releasing such a short handed software interface for us to use when we dropped big money for our machines. I'm sure in the near future they'll be copying VDj's database format also. I hate the frigan crates and their whole database format. Cya

Posted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 1:02 pm
14%