Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: My Working Video Machine - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Yep, a lot more than what I wanted to spend, but worth it in the end. Here is what Im getting ready to order:

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 MB

OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card

Total comes to 640.00. I will be selling the rackmount pc's I have in another system soon to pay for this. That will help.

btw... do you have stock cooling on your chip?

Killabee44

Posted Wed 18 May 05 @ 8:56 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey Killabee44 and Cyderhouse --

I am looking at this card -

ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M Geforce 6200TC 256MB DDR PCI-Express x16
BTW, the system I am building will have 2GB of RAM that this card can suck off of if needed.

Now, it doesn't have the high end gaming like feature of what Killabee44 is getting, but it has twice the memory and from what I have read the 6200 series is just as good as the 6600 series from GeForce.

Your thoughts?

cstoll

Posted Wed 18 May 05 @ 10:40 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Killa,

I'm jelous you are getting a better system than me :)

I don't use the stock cooler here is a link to the one I use

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185115

Cstoll,

The bad thing about those is they are still using ddr-1 memory. Which takes more power and is much slower. The ram differance isn't were the perforamce is (despite what they want you to think) Sure 256 sounds like a lot, be its the differnce between a full tank of gas in a ecno car vrs a half tank in a sports car.

Posted Thu 19 May 05 @ 12:52 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey Cyderhouse, do you have a blower behind that cooler so you can have your own Air Conditioning Unit at your gigs?? lol...

Thanks for the advice on the video card. As you may of gathered from my other post in the hardware forum I am trying to put together a machine as well. Thanks for sharing your specs and insight, it has helped alot. I will post my selections later, and to be honest I am trying to keep within a budget, unlike your post of "If money was no limit."

But anyway, thanks for all the insight!

cstoll

Posted Thu 19 May 05 @ 1:24 am
Actually I have a liquid nitorgen tank I carry with me to gigs so I can freeze my cpu at will I also I use an thermonuclear reactor for a back up power you can never be too sure these days.

Posted Thu 19 May 05 @ 2:04 am
Cyder,

Thanks. I am hoping to not have to upgrade this machine in a long while and still be able to run video super smooth. Hey, I really like that cooler! Im getting one of those. It looks like the best for the amd 64 chip. And quiet too. Thanks for the info.

Killabee44

Posted Thu 19 May 05 @ 6:09 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Guys, If the programs runs in 32bits, 64bits its useless at this point (I think). In the 3000+ Processor of AMD not have a 3.0GHz clock. The bandwith is also tricky. In AMD is 4GBx2, In Intel is 6.4GBx2. While AMD only supports 400MHz in the DDR RAM Intel offers 533MHz. The AMD 64 is very good option, but it seems to me its not as good as the Intel processor.

I have an Intel 540 (3.2GHz, FSB 800, HT, 1MB cache L2) in a INTEL D915GUXLK motherboard with 1GB in RAM DDR2 533 in dual channel. 160GB Seagate SATA HD with 8MB in Cache. I'm going to buy a PCI Express 16x Video Adapter. The NVidia looks great, but the ATI is good as well?.

Cyder, Killa, will you benchmark your computers so we can compare results? I want to known how powerful is AMD 64 and Intel for us and for real.

AMD64: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31411.pdf

INTEL P4 HT: http://www.intel.com/performance/resources/briefs/Intel_Pentium_4_Perf_Brief_Nov04.pdf

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 4:47 am
I'm down for a benchmark. I disagree you are discounting the FSB technology used by amd with its intrgrated on chip memory controller faster ram isn't needed at least not yet. The way intel and amd talk to the ram is very differnt. I'm still about real world testing. I'll tell you from my experience the amd uses ram more efficently. Which translates to track loading faster in vdj. I've had a 2.8 northwood and the amd64 smokes it. Not to mention the fact that amd proccessors are cheeper than intels.

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 5:43 am
64 bit isn't useless and you'll see why this summer. As of right now, windows 64 bit version of xp is only supporting amd processors. Intel is going to have to do something.

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 7:46 am
Cyder, the main thing is that AMD is cheaper than Intel. The Intel solution for 64bits isn't cheap, but it haves a true 64bit processor (bus, ram, registers) and not only for ram. AMD it's a great product, and funtional. intel too. Both of them are telling us that one is better than the other, for this for that... I understand that both of them do the things we want to, but how fast, how stable... I want to test them and see how they the work, that's all.

intel 64 bit tech.: http://developer.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/

Posted Fri 20 May 05 @ 6:52 pm
acw... I will benchmark after I receive all my components and install them. Probably toward the end of next week or the begining of the following week if I have time. What programs do you want to benchmark with?

Killabee44

Posted Sat 21 May 05 @ 2:19 am
Well, SisSoftware Sandra. But could you please use in 32 bits first and then in 64 bits?
I'll wait Killa and Cyder, and Thanks!

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 8:55 am
Guys,

XP Pro 64 is already out... I hope soundcard companies and others make drivers for this version soon because the ability to run apps w the 64 bit will be great. Itll be better to wait for service pack 1 to come out anyhow, but I guess well see how stable that one is.

What do you guys think?

Killabee44

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 7:30 pm
yep 64 bit windows is out, nvidia was on the ball with video drivers but we have no audio drivers lol....There was an article somewhere about a 64 bit audio driver for ac97 onboard stuff. I'll see if i can dig it up.

Hows the new system running killa?

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 10:17 am
Cyder,

I put the system together and its running rock solid. Aquamark benchmark is 53xxx stock. That is on 512mb or ram only. I had to remove one stick because Im having a problem with my ram being compatible with this mb when in dual channel mode. I know the scores will be higher in dual channel mode. I guess Ill post them again with the new memory.

Right now Im looking at the OCZ Gold VX 2x 512 PC4000 DDR. My Patriot PDC1G3200+xblk will have to be RMA'd. I tried so many things to get it to work too like: increased dram voltage in bios, latest mb drivers, etc.

killabee44

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:31 pm
Killa,

Save yourself a little cash and get pc3200, because that is all the amd chip needs. I'm running 2 sticks of muskin 512 at stock timings (which you probably tried adjusting on yours) 53,000 is awesome is that at stock fsb?

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:38 pm
Yeah, that is stock all around. Im thinking of getting this ram because others have confirmed that it will work with this mb in dual mode and its also very fast. I amight consider something else though as long as I know it is compatible. Just dont want to have to send it back again.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 6:08 pm
Killa,

The memory in AMD 64 runs in 200MHz x2 (400MHz) as his fastest way. I Talk with a support guy from Kingston and he told me that AMD64 only supports PC3200 as his fastest RAM. It's an issue in the processor specs.

If you want to put your AMD 64 to his maximum memory performance, run it with dual channel enable. This put you with a 6.4 GB/s bandwith. If you don't do it it you inly have 3.2GB/s bandwith. The memory modules must by the SAME (It's better if you buy it from the same vendor and wih the same specs at the same time)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 5:15 am
acw,

Yes, the pair I currently have are a matched, tested pair, meant to be used together in dual channel mode. I upped the voltage to 2.9v and they seem to be working fine, so I think I will stick with them for now. If they give me any more problems I will get something else.

Killabee44

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 11:48 am
Cyder,

How do you enable the video out (s-video) on this soundcard? Or is it already enabled? I just didnt see the option where it says:

Output: (window)

I dont have the option in the drop down menu to send the video to the s-video port so thats why I thought it wasnt enabled. Thanks.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 7:39 am
83%