Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: VideoVision 6 Suggestions and Planning - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This thread is for people who are interested in an update of the VideoVision series of skins that I created. With the release of VirtualDJ 6, skins can be designed to have a lot more power and capability, and I'd like to revamp my skin to take advantage of some of that capability.

This thread is open to all who have ideas or suggestions on how I can add new functionality or enhance the skin by using new features of VirtualDJ 6, and keeping with the design philosophy around this skin.

VideoVision Design Philosophy
VideoVision is a skin that is optimized for high-resolution displays (currently 1440 pixels wide or greater) that is highly functional and feature rich. VideoVision intends to showcase virtually all the features and controls of VirtualDJ in an elegant, intuitively laid-out format which offers functionality catering to the DJs using Video with VirtualDJ.

It is important for the skin to be straightforward to use, and to acheive that it is important that all the controls in the skin are clearly labelled and have visible symbols, are grouped in logical "control zones", and are large enough to be used on small but high resolution screens. In addition, the skin is designed to serve as an informative display to show exactly what is going on with all the controls in the software, displaying most of the common parameters that can be controlled with VirtualDJ.

Posted Mon 01 Jun 09 @ 6:15 pm
Ideas for New Features and Enhancements
Here are some ideas for new features that I might be able to implement. Please feel free to add your own comments and suggestions.

• Clock that changes color and blinks during "last call" times for bar DJs.
  • Play countdown timer that changes color or blinks within the last 20 seconds of the song.
  • Smoother looking knob movement?
  • Control to toggle automatic video crossfading.
  • Change the "Beat Lock" buttons to "Pitch Lock" functionality which moves both the deck pitch sliders to match, which is what I have been wanting all along :P It would be redundant to have two though, perhaps I could free up space on the skin for another control.
  • Controls to toggle between cropping and letterboxing video to maintain aspect ratio.
  • Key zone may have an area that suggests how to adjust key to harmonically mix. (I don't know yet where I'll fit this though!)
  • Auto key adjustment button could be possible.
  • A pannel on the deck video preview areas showing vertical waveform displays, possible used for mouse scratching or fine cueing operations.

Posted Mon 01 Jun 09 @ 6:30 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@supacon

Quote :
Smoother looking knob movement?

that is definately down to technique and practise

Posted Mon 01 Jun 09 @ 6:49 pm
PapaokePRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello,
my english is not so good, sorry for that.

I Like your Skin and its my favourite.
The only thing what i have to say is, that the browser section ist a little bit small. It Would be great if it is possible to make the Video smaller, so the browser can be a little bit bigger.

thanks
Papaoke

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 1:29 am
Hi Papaoke, I'm glad you like my skin. Which version are you using, the 1280 version or the newer 1440 version?
The browser area can be kind of small if you're using them with the smallest supported monitors. What resolution is your display?
It's unlikely that I'll shrink other elements to improve this on smaller screens though since most of the world is moving to higher and higher resolutions all the time. It might be possible to "squish" it a bit to expand the browser area, but that would make things look worse, of course.

If you use a 1600x1200 monitor or 1920x1200 monitor, there is a version of the skin that has a much bigger browser area. This probably doesn't help you, but something to consider, i suppose.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 1:37 am
Supacon, have always used your skin...still profess at the moment is the best one out there. I actually proposed to use it as the basis for a multi function skin in this thread (don't know if you saw it or not) but everybody seems to have indicated it could not be done.....maybe now with version 6 you can take a look and see if it can be.

As far as just a v6 revision of the current skin the only changes I would make are as follows:
(1) make all knobs short sliders instead as knobs are impossible to move consistently and accurately with the mouse.
(2) on the 1280 x 800 version the plug-in SBDJ Scrolling Text and the Text 2D have the command buttons on the bottom and right cut off (it looks like maybe someone named Pasco modified for the 1280 x 800 mode so I don't know if you can fix this or if Pasco need's to). I need this 1280 x 800 version when I use my laptop as that is the max screen res...on my LCD screen the 1440 x 900 works fine and the 1280 x 1024 works when I use the LCD from by backup system.
(3) When you add multiple clip bank plug-in (renaming them ClipBank, clipbank2, ClipBank 3, etc. they show up in the drop down selector but the activation button does not change to show them so it will only activate the original clipbank, it would be nice to have 4 clipbank available for activation if possible.
(4) Is there a way to change the fade speed for the video fader when you hit the "take" buttons? It would be really nice to be able to adjust on the fly the length of time it takes to fade (when you have a song that ends cold it would be nice to have a very fast fade time and when you are doing a long house overlay and using a transition like the strobe it would be nice to have a longer fade time)....I know on a controller you can manually control the fader, but I only use a mouse so i need to be able to hit the "take" buttons and get the fade i desire while I use the mouse for accessing other functions.

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 2:52 am
dj-e-lectric, which thread are you talking about, what what did you mean by "mult-function skin"? It seems pretty multi-functional to me, unless you meant that it supports 4 decks. I'm not quite sure how to implement that.

My response to your suggestions:

1. About changing the knobs into sliders, I had pretty limited space to work with for some controls, and I didn't feel that putting a slider in a ~20 pixel space really gave you enough room to adjust it accurately. Do you use the cue and main knobs on the top-left of the VV1440 skin? What I could do is to make the cue and main knobs have a slider at the side (you know where the little level meter currently is?) Although that's pretty teeny to try to move with any precision.

The video parameter knob also maybe would make sense as a slider, but there isn't much room, and you can always go into the effects control panel and adjust it there if you need more precision. One thing I always disliked about those knobs is that you don't really know what parameter they adjust unless you have the relevant effects panel open anyways :( I wish there was some way of labelling what parameter they actually adjust.
    With VDJ 6, is there? The tooltip is more informative, but it still doesn't show which parameter - just "deck 1 effect "Flanger" Slider 1", etc.
    Also, the gain knobs I wouldn't want to change, because usually you need to move those only *really* teenly movements, and I couldn't get that kind of precision with a slider. I could maybe add buttons in to make small adjustments to gain instead, I may be able to make room for it.

2. The issues your having with plugin pages being cut off sounds like it would basically require the entire skin to be reformulated and laid out again, which isn't something I'm about to do, sorry. The VideoVision 5 1440 skin is designed to use a minimum of 1440x900 resolution, so I'm glad that it at least works well at that resolution. Pasco did a resize, which isn't all too hard to do with the resizing tool that is now available for skinners. What maybe could be done is to "squish" the skin a bit vertically (making the video preview windows widescreen I guess!) to make more room for the browser and effects areas. What I might change if I were wanting to do that is to make the video preview windows shorter (making them 16:9, now that VDJ seems to almost support aspect ratios correctly), and maybe remove one of the cuepoint selectors and the key control zone. That would probably make enough space for the browser area. But personally I loves my key adjustment zone - I can well imagine that few people use it though.

3. I tested the issue you're having with the ClipBank. It does change which of the clipbanks you have active, and it works fine. What the actual issue is that the name of the plugin comes from within the dll, and unless you go in there and edit the names, it won't change. Interestingly, the effects panel shows the filename of the dll file, but the skin control button shows the name of the actual plugin from inside the file. That's not something to do with my skin.

4. Affecting the speed of the transition for the video "take" buttons is a good idea, and I will look into that. I'm not yet sure if that can be done though.

I appreciate the suggestions, keep 'em coming, the feedback is great!

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 9:20 am
PapaokePRO InfinityMember since 2005
I Use the 1440 skin. youre right, better to wait to have a display with a higher resolution. :o)

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 11:12 am
sorry I meant multi-instance skin...here is the thread http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/109349/Virtual_DJ_Skins/Request_for_someone_to_build_a_unique_multi_instance_skin.html

(1) As far as the knobs the only ones I use are the EQ an I think you could make the video preview windows a bit smaller and put in a decent length fader....but if it is too much trouble don't bother on my account. I just hope no more knobs are added.

(2) It is only the text2d and SBDJs Scrolling text......this is actually my favorite plug-in, but it is only a problem when I am using the laptop...on my desktops I can use your actual 1440x900 so there it is not a problem. I do have a work around for it (I change skins when I need to load or enter new text and then switch back when all text is good) so I will keep doing that until I get a bigger screen laptop. DO NOT change the key adjustment area at all I love that feature like you do.

(3) On the clip bank change I am not sure I follow you (sounds like maybe it involves a bit of programming knowlege that might be over my head....I would not even pretend to know how to open or edit a dll file). If it is something easy to walk me thru by posting some step by step instructions I would love to do it...just not much programming knowlege here.

(4) Since alot of us use an external mixer so we never use the audio crossfader on the software, maybe you can have a panel that could toggle back and forth between an audio crossfader and a video fade length adjustment fader?

Oh and the "play in sync" button now flashes for some reason and it is REALLY annoying, can you turn that off?

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 6:05 am
Don't think you can use the "New" clipbank and run multiples. I can do it successfully with the "Old" version that can be downloaded in the plugins section.

Posted Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 7:07 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
any news about the update ?

Posted Mon 22 Jun 09 @ 12:40 am
Hey VideoVision fans... I just wanted you to know that I'm now taking a very serious look at upgrading the old VideoVision 5.1 1440px to the new V6 format, and adding a new new features too that take advantage of the new capabilities of VDJ6. I actually will have the time to work on this now. Better late than never!

I wanted to actually completely create a new skin at some point, but that will have to wait until 6.0.2 because there are a few issues with the skin Engine in 6.0.1 at the moment that prevent me from doing everything I want with it.

Stay tuned for updates on what is to come!

Posted Wed 19 Aug 09 @ 10:56 pm
List of Planned VideoVision 6 Changes
Here is the final list of planned changes for VideoVision. I will start implementing these tomorrow and work on prepping graphics and such.
I estimate that I can be done these changes within two weeks.

• Create effects panels with multiple effects buttons.
  • Change "play in sync" to pitchlock. Add small (non-blinking) beatlock.
  • Change "lock to" buttons to pitch range selection buttons to allow from 6% to 100% ranges.
  • Add tiny smart play buttons. Under Play/Pause.
  • Making loop adjustment knob motion circular.
  • Clock changes color or flashes during "last call times" (e.g. at 1:30) and again after 2:00.
  • Play countdown timer blinks when at the last 20 seconds of the song.
  • Make the title & artist text on the active deck highlight In a different color.
  • Shrink the Timecode buttons - Move it into a pannel if necessary.
  • Main Video Output Preview gets squished to 9:16.
  • Add small buttons to switch the aspect mode (crop/box) under master video view.
  • Add a control to toggle automatic Video crossfading.
  • Create a pannel for small 4:3 master video view with Scratchwaves on sides.

Optionally, the following features may be added if they don't prove to be too much trouble:

• Add Timecode mode buttons smart, Relative, Absolute. and SmartScratch
  • Key zone area suggests how to adjust key for harmonic mixing

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 12:46 am
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
:-)

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 7:29 am
I've just now completed converting the XML for VideoVision 5.1 1440 to VDJ 6 Script format!

I've made a few minor tweaks and enhancements in the process, but is that good enough?

NO!

There's a lot more work for me to do! I won't stop until I've got it all finished up. I am quite happy with the progress I've made tonight, and I've learned a lot about what can be done with the vdjscript too.

Now It's time to do the advanced scripting stuff, and start messing around with graphical changes in PhotoShop.

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 2:57 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Good luck Supacon !

Posted Fri 21 Aug 09 @ 10:30 am
This morning I completed the basic layout of an upgraded FX Control section and Timecode section.

This new FX section will allow for better easier control of the most commonly used effects, and will also allow you to select a custom effect, much as the standard skin for VirtualDJ will (and the previous couple versions of VideoVision).
I'm somewhat disappointed with how small everything turned out, and it was challenging coming up with a layout for the Timecode section that still allowed for the bigger effects section, the new timecode features to fit..

I ended up making the timecode section as small as possible while still making it somewhat obvious as to what it was. It doesn't really follow my philosophy of making big buttons that are easy to use on a high resolution screen, but the idea here is that I'd rather have something that allows you to view and control the current configuration of timecode (even if very tiny and somewhat difficult to click on) rather than nothing at all. Since I don't personally use Timecode, I won't likely miss the bigger buttons.

I am considering making this a pannel so that a couple of variations on this effects section can be chosen.

Comments and feedback are appreciated!

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 3:31 pm
Something I've been dabbling with a during the process of upgrading my skin is the idea of creating an extensible, resolution independent design using some of the new features of Photoshop CS4. One such feature that I've been able to use is called Smart Object Layers, which allow you to group layers together and maintain the original image data so that graphics can be edited non-destrutively. In addition, changes made to one Smart Object will affect all other instances of that object, so changes can be made to an entire skin very quickly and easily - for example the up, down, and active versions of the image can each be made in a few seconds with only a few clicks.

I imagine someday creating a really nice looking skin that can scale from resolutions of netbooks (800 pixels wide) up to large 30 inch monitors at 2560x1600.

Check out the following preview showing, on the left, a button that will be used in VideoVision6, and on the right, a portion of it's original resolution counterpart:

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 3:45 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
damn nice, got to get some more practise in on ps.

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 5:37 pm
Yeah, I hear you. I was a graphic designer many years ago, and the tools have come a ways since then - I'm also a bit rusty. I fancy the idea of creating some kind of a system for skinning using, perhaps, PhotoShop templates, that make it really easy for anyone to edit and modify a skin to their liking. JeremK's skin tool is also *very* helpful for dealing with the XML for this.

The way it is now, I think one needs a decent amount of expertise, and a *lot* of time on their hands. I think it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of a solid month, working four or more hours a day, to do a skin from scratch. (Of course it doesn't help that I am so anal about everything too!). I hope to come up with a new design and workflow that will look at least as good but would be able to be created in the better part of a day. I think that smart objects are one key to me doing this. Another key would be a library of vector shapes and icons (in illustrator format, likely) that can be made into smart objects such that they can be resized with perfect quality.

If anyone is willing to share their graphic design wisdom in this vein to help on this kind of a project, that would be fabulous!

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 5:48 pm
36%