Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: VideoVision 6 Suggestions and Planning - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
when someone finally comes up with a "jigsaw" where users can just come along and cherry pick their requirements for a skin of their choosing and place it anywhere on a template skin or as near as damn it, then that person will become a living saint...

hope you get it sorted soon.

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 6:00 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yeah, I guess that's the idea... you can have a toolbox of buttons and of preset regions that you could move around, resize, and layout how you want. What would be wicked cool is to somehow have the XML automatically generated or modified along with that, but right now the closest thing to that would be JeremK's Skin Tool.

Essentially that requires you to pick your buttons and desired options from a menu, draw a box around the button on the skin, and double click to place it. It's not bad, but I do have a few ideas as to how the process could be improved, if Jeremie's willing to put the time in.

As for linking the photoshop elements to the skin, I have no idea if that's remotely possible unless you can write some kind of fancy parser for the PSD files that can interpret the bounds of layers with specific names, and I know that's well beyond my capabilities! Anyone game to try something like that??

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 6:06 pm
i'm still working out ps so that counts me out, lol, but just think we'll have three saints on the forums, let you work it out who the other is already...

Posted Fri 28 Aug 09 @ 6:14 pm
I am drawing very close to the completion of VideoVision 6.

All the core graphics and XML are in place, and I just need to tweak a couple of things, and give it a good testing. If anyone out there would like to be a tester for the beta before I release it, please send me a PM and I'll get a copy to you.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 8:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Looks reallly good !!!! Can't wait for the release.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 8:44 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Wow . this looks really nice ..Good work

Posted Sat 05 Sep 09 @ 5:28 am
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
been playing around with the beta now . very nice with the direct access buttons + to change pitch range in the skin - 0,5 seconds to activate .wonderful for video Jocks.

Posted Sun 06 Sep 09 @ 1:31 pm
Bug:

The +64 beat button on deck 1. works fine but when you right click it should jump 128beats but does nothing. Works fine on deck 2.

Awesome work with this one make. some excellent graphics going on.

=)

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 3:51 pm
Very good job indeed !

Just a couple of things to say...
* Add the "scroll" format to the comment in textzone. Sometimes comment is big enough not to fit to the bounds.
* I dont mind you have chosen your favorites FXs for default, but at least add one parametr for the selected one. Flanger for example needs a parametr for sure.
* For the file info (rightclick on the artist-title) this is not a bug. The command says "...for the selected song". So notice where your scroll bar is. It's on the last loaded song (selected). It's actually a browser action not a deck one.

I LOVE the combination of jog whell and video preview on the decks. This is something we all have to include in our skins.

Release it mate !!!

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 6:26 pm
Yeah, I don't suppose you can make file_info a deck action... if not, perhaps I should just remove that action. The funny thing is that the file_info in deck two actually gets the info dialog for the song selected in the playlist.

Anyways, the parameter slider for the effect is a good idea - I was thinking that I could add the old sliders back if I could forgo the timecode controls. Maybe that could be another pannel selectable from the options pannel.

The scroll feature is also a good idea. I made the comment area a bit small because I didn't want to risk cutting off the artist name, since I'd expect that to usually be much more important.

Not sure how I managed to screw up the -128 beat thing on deck one - I never touched that stuff, but thanks for finding it!

Keep the comments coming. I think I'm going to have to do another "beta" or perhaps release candidate version before I submit it because I'm considering a major change, suggested by JeremK:

I was going to change the cue/play/stutter buttons to reflect the standard button configuration for the default v6 skin and then put a button in the options pannel to switch between Numark and Pioneer behaviours for those buttons.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 09 @ 10:26 pm
fix these minor things and release ver. 1.0. Gather then all bugs ,infos and suggestions from other users and have the time to update.

Posted Tue 08 Sep 09 @ 3:24 pm
Yeah, I seem to be running out of time to spend on this, so I will probably do a release pretty soon. The thing that's the most work to implement is probably going to be the slider for the selectable deck effect, which I think I'll do as a pannel (shrink the timecode buttons down to something that looks like the crossfade curve buttons and get a slider, or have the standard timecode buttons and no slider).

I have a feeling I'll have to update anyways after the next release of VirtualDJ, because it's very possible that some new skinning features will be implemented that I can use.

On the other hand, I want to retire VideoVision so that i can make a more extensible skin - it's just become too difficult to make big changes to this skin, and I think that knowing what I have learned from this project, I can start from scratch and make something that will be a lot easier to deal with. Also, I now have JeremK's skin creator to help the process which makes the XML portion a TON easier.

One goal I have for a future skin is to make it resolution independent, and I think that I know a few tricks that can be used to achieve this. I'd still have to render separate layers, but that could possibly be automated with a photoshop action/script. That way I can make skins all the way from 2560x1600 for 30" monitors down to 800x480 (for netbooks) without necessarily having to do all the work multiple times.

There's no way that VideoVision is capable of that kind of scaling, I'm afraid....

Posted Tue 08 Sep 09 @ 3:42 pm
tayla wrote :
when someone finally comes up with a "jigsaw" where users can just come along and cherry pick their requirements for a skin of their choosing and place it anywhere on a template skin or as near as damn it, then that person will become a living saint...

hope you get it sorted soon.

That would be something like a Skin Wizard program, where you can design a skin from a graphical front end, similar to MSVisio.
and the wizard would take care of the code..

Posted Wed 09 Sep 09 @ 7:33 am
I shouldn't say too much, but I believe that something along this lines can possibly be done. I've found code for parsing Photoshop files that actually gets the coordinates of layers in Photoshop, so a technique could possibly be developed that would allow you to take a skin "toolkit" in photoshop and design your own skin there, then run a program that creates the requisite XML.

Of course, this would require one to have a copy of Photoshop which isn't exactly cheap software - but perhaps the Gimp could be used to manipulate a PSD file as well (the Gimp is free and does read PSD files).

Edit:
I tried the Gimp on one of my VideoVision PSD files, and the result isn't really pretty - the effects don't render, so you'd need to use it with flat layers.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 09 @ 10:31 am
Not a good idea to publish your work to the internet this way. At least select different level to your post.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 10:54 am
Hmm... for all my previous versions that is what I had done before a public release and thus far I haven't received any indication from Atomix that it's not acceptable. It is my intellectual property, after all, isn't it? I don't personally mind if the general public has a look at it, I just didn't want people to be using a potentially unstable and unfinished version of the skin, but this one might be there now.

As for the access level for postings, I wasn't aware that I could set that - I didn't think that i had privileges to do that, even...

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 3:19 pm
your right supacon i believe it's five stars and above that can set there own posts to a certain level, but only moderators and above that can level a thread.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 7:28 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Supacon wrote :
It is my intellectual property, after all, isn't it?

Yes it is your creation. VirtualDJ, however, does retain most rights to what is displayed, and shared, on this web site. Sorry for your frustration, but I understand and support this line of reasoning.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 8:02 pm
That's understood, but as I stated before, nobody ever took issue before with me linking to a skin that I created. If it is a problem, then let me know. It's just so much easier to link to it on a website vs. PMing and emailing it to a dozen people or something...

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 8:46 pm
It has always been our recommendation that you post your skins to our download area in order to share with the VirtualDJ community. If you wish to host elsewhere that is your choice, however it is discouraged that you not post the link in the forum.

The point being is one person posts a link to an external site then others do the same and then their becomes a 'flooding' of posts to things that no one knows what they may be getting. So, posts to external sites for items will be moderated by leveling the posts or in some cases even removal of the link all together.

Posted Thu 10 Sep 09 @ 8:53 pm
71%