Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: LAPTOP TEMPERATURE - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is there a way in WINDOWS XP that I can check my laptop's CPU temperature? Or do I need a software program to do that? Thanks in advance.

Posted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 12:04 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 3:19 am

Posted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 5:44 pm
The SPEEDFAN site is up for sale and I didn't see the DOWNLOAD.

Posted Tue 21 Dec 04 @ 10:58 pm

Posted Wed 22 Dec 04 @ 1:18 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Wed 22 Dec 04 @ 9:50 am
What should be the desire CPU temperature on my laptop? What about CPU usage while running VDJ? Thanks.

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 1:19 pm
Thanks to SPEEDFAN and your advise I found out that one of the fans on my laptop is not working. Can I fix or replace it myself? How hard is it? Please advise me. Thanks.

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 1:38 pm
No problem
Yes you can replace the fan yourself its a simple plug in type(most of the time)
Even having it replaced by a tech cant be that expensive (if your not sure)
Normal temp is 50 degrees celcius
Andre

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 1:57 pm
Kind of depends on how hard it is to get at.
If you can get at it, it just unplugs.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 9:53 pm
Got to the fan and disconected it. The problem now is that the laptop manufacturer (HP), doesn't carry the OEM fan anymore. There's a lot of companies online that carry the fans but they need the size in millimeters. There's nothing on the old fan that indicates it's size. How in the world do I figure out what size fan I need? I was also told that to make the CPU run cooler I should put some type of thermal greese between the HEATSINK and the CPU. The brand recommended was ARTIC SILVER 5.

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 3:26 am
Measure across the fan's diameter with a vernier (calibrated C-clamp).
Any machine shop will have one of these, most good verniers will offer a digital read in both " and MM.

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 5:33 am
I would recommend a laptop cooling plate. Do a search on google. They run about $40

Posted Thu 30 Dec 04 @ 1:26 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 30 Dec 04 @ 8:45 am
I already have one of those CHILL PADS. The problem is one of the two internal fans on my laptop stopped working. It's impossible for the CHILL PAD to compensate for the defective fan. I'm afraid to run it with only one fan working, it gets really hot, so I'm afraid to fry the CPU. Yesterday I e-mail a photo of the fan to the company that manufactured it to see if they carry it. I got my fingers crossed but I don't think I'm going to have much luck since HP doesn't even carry it. My best bet is an aftermarket one, but like I said on my previous post, the problem is trying to figure out the right size fan. I'm hoping somebody on this forum is familiar with the type of fan that I have and will guide me on the right direction. AGAIN, the laptop is an HP PAVILION ZX5180US. Thanks.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 12:36 am
Found this on ebay at bout 50 bucks us Listing has pictures HP Pavilion ZE5170 HEATSINK W/ 2 FANS.
I believe it is the same unit as the 5180

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 3:05 am
The heatsink unit looks different than mine, but I'm not sure about the fans. I'm e-mailing the buyer to see if the fans have the same numbers as mine. Thanks a million ANDRE. Happy New Year.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 4:11 am
msteraHome userMember since 2004
The heatsink unit looks different than mine, but I'm not sure about the fans. I'm e-mailing the buyer to see if the fans have the same numbers as mine. Thanks a million ANDRE. Happy New Year.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 7:52 am
I doubt HP had a special fan made just for them. I would do a search on google for small muffin fans and se if you can find one the same sixe and voltage. I doubt is has a thermal sensor inside the fan as in probable runs all the time.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 5:08 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can't you rip the dead fan out of your laptop and take it down to a local computer store to match up the size?

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 11:56 am
61%