Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: considering buying,currently using traktor - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I' ve been using traktor 2.6 for close to year,as a stripclub dj for 5,6,7 7 hour shifts a week plus mobilising for parties and weddings.
considering robust stable feature laden alternatives that support video. highest on my wish list is accurate bpm, fast searching and easy to use record case with maybe color codable features.
prefer if product ships with loose women , but will forgive if not currently available 'til next update.

i use an hp laptop w/ hideous xp media center (vista capable though) amd turion 64 duo core,120gig internal,250 external,2 gigs ram, presonus firebox.

i've never had two products onboard at the same time and would like to demo virtual but worry that it might cause problems to traktor or vice versa. I do have to give traktor credit because i routinely download (sometimes beatport for ex.),plus rip all while playing live at the club......I know guys who say they wouldn't attempt to rip 'cause they can't w/o giving themselves a freeze up or stutters.......When I got the firebox I implemented all their recommended optimizations for xp media center users . they don't recommend media center as an OS by the way.
Can i demo virtual w/o problem. ??
Tell me what you think i might dig about virtual.
Tell me 'bout going video....lol that's about ten topics or more right there......

what happens in the booth, mostly stays in the booth.

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 4:44 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The Demo should not pose a problem with the Traktor that you currently have installed, I recomend that you try out both the 3.4 and 4.0 demo , 4.1 is an update for current users and not yet available as demo

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 6:25 pm
thank you philly, hello from pennsauken nj.

any takers on the video questions? recommended vid cards,screens/ monitors,dvd providers, etc??

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 6:39 pm
your welcome, on the video card issue there will be alot of diffrences, I use to use a 9200se with only 128mb of ram and Pci slot, the only problem I use to have was an occasional freeze of the video while loading the next video but I would have to say go with 256mb and over, make sure the memory is not shared, ATI and Nvidia now trick there customers with "hypermemory" and "turbocache" its nothing but a small amount of onboard video memory and the rest comes from your systems memory so avoide these kind of cards and go with 256 or more onboard, On the ATI side I have tried from X1300 and above, they all seem to be working fine (all PCI-E) laptop I would say X1600 and above

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 6:47 pm
thanks again, philly. excuse the ignorance,who is the maker of the 9200se?

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 8:16 pm
it's ATI but its a very old card I was just trying to give an example of the lowest card that actually can work, it would be better to get yourself something newer

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 8:23 pm
I know you are closer to Phillydj, but you can come to my club and see it live. I work in a strip club in Linden,NJ, and do video all day long. Although my main income comes from my mobile business, I do very well here, 5 days a week. I have never used Traktor, because you can't compare the two. I needed to be able to mix video, and there was only one place to go, VDJ. I have used an ATI 9600 card and it worked fine, but the fan died. I actually got a replacement fan, but got a nVidia 6600 card, because of these forums, and they have both worked well for me. I have not bought a screen yet, because the venues I have worked had them. I am doing research on two that I saw at the Convention in AC. One was a streachable fabric, and the other was a Screen Works front/rear combo, that came in it's own carrying case. I can't even remember the model of the Panasonic projector I have, but I got a great deal from my club owner. I am looking for new hard drives as we speak, because my 2 200g ext drives are full of videos. I just checked and one has 891 and the other has 892 videos. I Just got my PromoOnly Nov club, and can't rip it.

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 9:22 pm
thanks gents.yeah traktor doesn't do video. all the native instruments products are for production and remix as far as i know. To A Man and His Music if you fill your drives up real full they are slower to search and difficult or impossible to defrag.....are you using promo's video's?

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 10:44 pm
I forgot to add, a buddy at a strip club near me uses a large Lacie drive and raves about it.

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 10:52 pm
external drives are what ur gonna need if u plan on using a laptop

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 11:28 pm
i use an hp laptop w/ hideous xp media center (vista capable though) amd turion 64 duo core,120gig internal,250 external,2 gigs ram, presonus firebox.
i keep the internal drive very clean and empty.i've been using the laptop since june, the previous desktop system is now my home/backup emergency rig.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 8:38 am
I wouldnt go run to Vista unless VDJ starts needing DX10
XP Home and Pro are just fine, Vista pulls alot more resources than XP and you would need twice the ram to run VDJ on Vista to run equal to XP

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 4:32 pm
I can't migrate to home or pro without buying them and installing over media edition which i'm not going to do. Vista is going to have 4 editions, home ,home premium ,business and ultimate (business premium).I can do an in place upgrade to home premium and to ultimate only.

I am not saying that I'm going to Vista now, but it's possible. My plan to complete by the end of '07 is to implement a comprehensive business solution for myself whereby the laptop is the handy monitor/keyboard /access point that's networked to an entry level small biz server. the laptop and server may or may not use the same OS. the server will be the container for the music/ video,stand alone database ,software including VDJ ,of course (I'm gonna dl the demo tomorrow when I finally have some time off from the club),plus customer info and miscellaneous.the server will lave large fast rugged drives in a RAID setup.I may backup the server to online storage to have bulletproof off site back up. So I have a lot on my plate, I intend to proceed with caution ,but to keep moving forward.Between sometime soon and the end of '07 I will be doing video on a rugged computer hardware/software setup.I love the new so this is gonna be fun and interesting.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 5:16 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i'm currently running 4.1 on media edition with no problems, it took me 4 years to jump on XP and so far Vista seem like XP.5, iMO i'm not really sure XP is worth leaving for double the requirements of Vista.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 5:34 pm
as long as we got on this vista tangent.......

where has it been established for a fact that vista requires more RAM??
who's using it ??
what's the dev team say?

I was hoping to hear what you guys think are the coolest things about VDJ.

One of these days I was going to talk about my wishlist,which doesn't mean a pissy trashing of traktor.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 8:03 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
1 GB of system memory.
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive3.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 9:59 pm
how do you put a link in a post?

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 10:40 pm
Right click the link, copy the URL then paste in your post. Proud student of DJ in Norway.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 10:52 pm
thanks

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 11:13 pm
I don't think it is possible for a "non licence user" to use BB Code. Bb code makes it possible to post links, images etc.
Ewout

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 7:30 pm
83%