Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mac Version Crossgrade - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
thats the point me and newsome were making, that the software is free so there can be no aditional charge for a different version of a free software. and of course they are not a charity, the reason its free is it only works with the SS1 or whatever its called (and yes, also the ttm65sl or somwething)

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 12:21 am
i don't want to get into semantics with norway, cuz i like the guy, but i'm sticking to my original statement. SSL is free period. software is free, you pay for the box (or not if your club has the box,.. most every club around here has the box). if the software is free, and you pay for the box,.. does that make the software not free? i don't think so. it makes the box not free. the software is still free. all versions. all platforms. all upgrades. for life. period. without commenting on the functionality of ssl vs vdj (it's been beat to death),.. i will always assert that ssl has a better licensing model by giving away the software for free.

i know TONS of ssl djs who do not own a box. the clubs have the boxes installed. if not, the other dj spinning at the club with you has a box. i know 5 djs who regularly spin with me,.. who use serato and have not paid a dime for it,.. legally. the software is free for anybody to download and put on as many computers as they like. and people do it. trust me.

and i'm still hoping a staffer will come in and clarify my original question made at the beginning of the post. 4.0 Mac support, G4, Intel, Both or Neither. Which is it?

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 1:41 am
i dont think its that great a model. after all if the software is free and the money they are making comes from the hardware, where is their fiscal reward for improving the features etc of the program? i gues they will get more customers to buy the hardware, but if if we're honest here, does SSL have any direct competitiion?

how long have you guys been waiting on 1.6 now? as long as we've been waiting on 4.0 i bet! lol

Posted Sun 06 Aug 06 @ 3:38 am
@Xeo, we might wait as long as the SSL users on 1.6, but in my opinion both upgrades are quite different. Im not totally into SSL, so I might not have all correct info, but the upgrade of SSL are some minor improvements and additions. Adding pitch in time (timestretch), which is already a finished product, is different then rewriting the sound engine.

I agree with you that if the software is an additional service, the future upgrades are difficult. Now they got lots of cash selling those boxes, but with one or two years, every club and everyone who wants to buy one got it already and then?

Same reason I find it unbelievable that the upgrade to V4 will be free for full version users.
Ewout

Posted Sun 06 Aug 06 @ 1:45 pm
thing is tho they will never realy hit total saturation,

technics are like tanks, last and last and last so its rare for one to be thrown away and they have been churning them out for 30 years yet they still make good money selling them,

its refreshing (well not too refreshing, after all AP do it) to see companies doing it this way rather than milking the customer with upgrade after upgrade charging to fix bugs and then introducing new ones in the new versions, (do i even need to name drop here?)

oh and i wasnt trying to compare the updates, just talking about that they have an update too that is taking time, reminds me developing professional software is not easy and perfection takes time ahy dev team!

Posted Sun 06 Aug 06 @ 8:02 pm
SSL 1.6.1 was released weeks ago. And it is free,.. anyone can go download it. You don't need to own a box to legally download a copy of SSL. You will need a box in order to perform with SSL, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need to own one.

Like I said, I know dozens of SSL DJs who play in the clubs and have never purchased SSL. Around here, the club has the box installed already. Also, if you spin with a partner who has an SSL box already, then both of you don't need one.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 9:11 pm
Will the new VDJ Mac version play iTunes purchased music? This is the one-and-only obstacle I'm facing with Trakktor, SSL, etc. What the hell do I do with the 1,100 songs I purchased from iTunes?

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 1:42 am
Since apple is very solid in their stance to not license the iTunes DRM to ANYONE, for any reason, my guess is that VDJ 4 will also not support iTMS purchased tracks. Do what everyone else does, burn them to CD and re-import them as mp3 files and stop buying iTMS tracks ASAP.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 1:47 am
just to make it clear (by name dropping) im talking about traktor, mixvibes and those kind of programs that charge for updates that promise to fix bugs and then introduce new ones

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 2:38 pm
IMHO VDJ should make the software available in either MAC or Windows version to a person who buys the licence (licence for up to two machines). The more people seen out with it the better, but we have a long way to go to catch up on SSL and FS.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 2:53 pm
Just thought I'd ask again today:

G4, Intel Mac or Both. Or maybe neither.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 8:17 pm
definitively one.. ;) hehe
But my guess is both... But haven't been confirmed by Dev Team yet...

But I doubt it will be for intel platform macs only..

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 8:53 pm
Let's hope Norway is right because this would be FREAKING AWESOME! Still a bit perplexed why it's taking so long to get a definitive answer. I mean the question is really pretty easy, and I estimate it can be answered with authority with no more than 10 keystrokes total.

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 10:23 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
perhaps the dev is more busy then you think...

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 11:12 pm
Hey Cyder. I know they're busy. Trust me I know... I'm just impatient like everyone else. I'll go back to being patient now ...

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 11:38 pm
... and for the ELEVENTY-BILLIONTH time that this question has been asked and has not been answered AFAIK...

WILL THE MAC VERSION BE FREE OR DISCOUNTED FOR OWNERS OF VDJ Pro 3.4 for windows, in which case I'll upgrade to Pro from Home version right now, OR will the Mac version be full price in which case I'll just wait for the Mac release?!!!

Also for clarification, since I just saw something about this in one of the posts on another thread, will the timecode vinyl for version 4 be different than the current TCV? I was gonna order the TCV online yesterday but the online store was in French when I went to put in my credit card information after selecting the "SECURE PAYMENT" option, and there was also no United States option for delivery [despite the fact that I selected $ dollars for the currency when adding them to the basket].

Any info will be greatly appreciated. . . and don't tell me the dev team is too busy. This is NOT a dev team question. It is a SIMPLE sales/marketing question!!!

At this point, it is INEXCUSABLE AND IRRESPONSIBLE to not provide the answer to a simple question being asked by existing users who WANT to buy more Atomix software but just need GUIDANCE as to whether to upgrade NOW or LATER!!!

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 9:39 pm
lol... relax ;)

First question... thats totally up to Corporate Staff, and Numark. And that part have not been 100% decided yet, but I think crossgrade might be free... Not all sure yet. Please be patient a bit more on that part. Sorry.

As for vinyls, there WILL be new ones, but the old ones will work too :)

Hope that helps, Mac;)

btw, "return of the mac" must be one of your favorite songs!;) hehe... just kidding;)

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 9:43 pm
Finally, a Mac version! Well, it looks like I'm going to bust out the ol' credit card and finally buy VDJ! I'd like to thank everyone at Atomix for supplying the demand....and finally seeing the light!!!

Soon to be, a Virtual.....DJ.
DJ Mikey Smiles

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 12:11 am
DjMikeySmiles wrote :
Finally, a Mac version! Well, it looks like I'm going to bust out the ol' credit card and finally buy VDJ! I'd like to thank everyone at Atomix for supplying the demand....and finally seeing the light!!!

Soon to be, a Virtual.....DJ.
DJ Mikey Smiles

Atomix will soon know what it's like to increase their loyal base of users with their most reliable version of VDJ yet, the Mac version!

Offering a Mac version will open up doors for them to compete against the FAR more dominant Rane Serato Scratch Live and Stanton's Final Scratch 2 here in the US. Add VDJ's better feature's with Mac's superior stability and... BAM!!!

The BEST digital dj solution available: VirtualDJ 4 for Mac!!!

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 12:34 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
btw, "return of the mac" must be one of your favorite songs!;) hehe... just kidding;)

Mark Morrison's my hero.

=P

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 12:34 am
93%