Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mac Version Crossgrade - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,

I am considering upgrading to the pro version, but I am wondering wether it would be better to wait till the Mac version is out before upgrading. I am mostly interested in using the Pro version on my Mac laptop, but would also use it occasionally on my PC desktop. So I guess my question is will there be a croosgrade path when the Mac version is released or should I wait till it's out in case of no upgrade/crossgrade path. Any idea what would be the most economical route? Thanks for any answers.

-Shehryar

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 12:55 am
Is your mac a G4 or an Intel Mac?

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 1:03 am
I am in the same situation as "shehrya".

I'm afraid that the special 50% discount offer [$99] to upgrade from VDJConsole [which came with my Hercules Mk2] to VDJPro might not be valid after tonight [Monday, 07.31.06].

But I'm gonna be really upset if I pay for the upgrade to VDJPro for windows only to find out that there is no cross-grade to the Mac version when it comes out [hopefully] later this month and that I have to re-purchase the Mac version at full price.

My Mac is an Intel MacBook Pro. Please advise.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 4:54 am
I have a Mac G4.

Exactly the same concerns as ConQuest.

-Shehryar

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 9:05 pm
I thought the VDJ 4.0 only works with Intel Macs, not G4 macs. Am I wrong here?

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 9:16 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I think there will be Universal app, like any other new application for macs. You can't find NEW program for mac that is not universal.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 11:49 pm
xeon wrote :
I think there will be Universal app, like any other new application for macs. You can't find NEW program for mac that is not universal.

That's fine and thanks Xeon, but the question STILL remains...

WILL THERE BE A CROSS-GRADE [free or discounted] TO THE MAC VERSION OF VDJ PRO 4 IF WE BUY THE wINDOWS VERSION OF VDJ PRO 3.4 NOW?

Or should we just avoid upgrading to the windows VDJ Pro version and wait for the Mac version because we will have to buy the full Mac version at full price?!!!

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 11:56 pm
The answer is simple, but i am not sure. Like any other software or better, software developer, who is releasing new versions for PC and MAC doesn't let you upgrade your version with mac uograde if you have pc version, that like VDJ won't be an "upgrade to mac" if you have (and you have) pc version. So if you like to have mac version, you will have to buy it at full price.

Mac users will have free upgrades for mac versions and pc users for pc versions. I think that there is no doubt about this.

Again.. this is my opinion, but that's like with other software.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 12:16 am
I don't agree with your reasoning. Serato allows you to download the mac version, pc version, or both under the same license.

My guess is that they will only release a intel mac verion for two reasons:
1. powerPCs are almost completely phased out and the programming code is NOT the same
2. VDJ (especially with video) is very resource intesive for the CPU and GPU. Decent results would probably only be possible with an intel mac.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 12:49 am
Never tryed Serato..

Well... Let's look other way. Mac version of VDJ will probably be released after PC version. They have to work hard to make v4 for mac actually from nothing! It is first version that will be for another OS. So i think there will be v4 for mac to buy and not to upgrade.

Well.. will see :)

After all i would like to see free upgrade, because i am going to buy MacBook pro ;)

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 12:56 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the SSL software is free anyway so thats not an issue for them. for most software you have to buy the other version, discount if your lucky

but then again VDJ isnt most software

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 1:17 am
lajolladjs wrote :
I don't agree with your reasoning. Serato allows you to download the mac version, pc version, or both under the same license.

That's right. The same is true with Stanton's Final Scratch. One installation disc has BOTH Mac and PC versions. Thank gawd Numark has chosen VDJ as the software solution for Virtual Vinyl so that a Mac version of VDJ will finally be made for the professional digital turntablist market that they're now gonna have to compete in againt the BY FAR dominant Rane and Serato here in the U.S.

Both Rane SSL and Final Scratch, the only digital dj solutions I've seen in any clubs and radio stations here in the U.S [especially California] for the past 3 years know better than to not offer a Mac version because they'd lose their professional market to any other solution that supports Macs, which are used by demanding and discriminating professionals that won't tolerate windows instability.

Like I've said before, no professional turntablist knows what Virtual DJ is out here. I'll start to change that starting this weekend at the Rock The Bells concert where my dj partner of 16 years "Icy-Ice" of the World Famous Beat Junkies will be performing, and also at the world famous Century Club which my dj crew does every Saturday night and has done so using SSL, Final Scratch, and real vinyl for well over a year now:

- http://rockthebells.net/
- http://www.centuryclub.com/

SO GET WITH IT AND GIVE US AN ANSWER, ATOMIX STAFF & FRIENDS... and welcome to the big leagues by supporting Macs.

Do we get the Mac version cross-grade from windows VDJ pro 3.4 in which case I'll/we'll upgrade right now, or do we just wait to pay full price for the Mac version of VDJ 4?!!!

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 4:49 am
Dj Xeo wrote :
the SSL software is free anyway so thats not an issue for them. for most software you have to buy the other version, discount if your lucky

Completely untrue. As noted above, the FAR MORE DOMINANT Rane Serato Scratch Live AND Stanton Final Scratch BOTH provide windows AND Mac versions of their software at no extra cost.

Dj Xeo wrote :
but then again VDJ isnt most software

That's correct. VDJ is GREAT software that is LARGELY UNKNOWN in the professional club, event, and radio circuit here in the U.S. [epecially the West Coast] in LARGE part because until now, there was no Mac version.

Luckily, having a major player like Numark that has demanded a Mac version on Atomix's side will help change that, but Atomix is gonna have a tough time taking the lead against Rane SSL and Stanton Final Scratch.

Go to any of the high end clubs, events, and/or radio stations here in Los Angeles and show me a VDJ set-up.

How many will you find?... NONE. ZIP. ZERO.

But just like I adopted digital dj'ing a couple of years before most of the professional turntablists out here did in 2005, whom have ALL switched to Macs now based on my advice and their own or witnessed horrid windows pc experiences, I'll be the one to start showing off VDJ and it's better features and help start getting it noticed out here.

Others will follow in time, but it is gonna be a BIG uphill battle to unseat Rane SSL and Stanton Final Scratch as the dominant digital dj solutions in the professional markets out here.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 5:00 am
conquest we missed ya....your last post was about 25 paragraphs shy keep up the good work.

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 6:46 am
Moderation staff wrote :
conquest we missed ya....your last post was about 25 paragraphs shy keep up the good work.

Love ya'll too.

I figured too many facts can really annoy people who are, to put it nicely, "less experienced and consequently less knowledgeable", so I'll try to withhold my extensive nearly 2 decade old first-hand, real-world computer [all platforms, which is why I don't use windows] and turntablist/dj [since '87] personal experience for those that request to know about it.

And they always have and always will. Some learn quicker than others though, but I'm patient.

Remember, the TRUTH is HERE.

Like I said in my previous posts in this thread, I and my professional Mac using turntablist/dj partners and friends welcome Atomix to the big leagues now that VDJ will have a Mac version and thusly be elevated to professional status and taken seriously by that professional demographic. Only time will tell if VDJ can unseat Rane Serato Scratch Live as the top digital vinyl solution.

I'll do my part to popularize VDJ for Mac, since I really do believe that it is a better overall solution. Just not one that is talked about, seen, and much less used in the professional U.S. [West Coast at least] club, event, and radio circuit... yet.

That demographic has Rane SSL and Stanton Final Scratch [Mac versions of course] written ALL over it. The Mac portion will be addressed soon enough by Atomix, but knocking Rane SSL off the thrown? That is gonna be a tough fight, and Numark knows it. That's why they know they'd never have a chance without a Mac version, considering SSL and Final Scratch have always catered to the professional Mac market.

Now that the niceties and foreseeable VDJ obstacles are out of the way and have been noted, what about the original topic of this thread?

Do we get a free or discounted cross-grade for the Mac version in which case myself and others can upgrade to VDJ 3.4 Pro for windows in the meantime, or do we wait for the Mac version of VDJ 4 because we'll have to pay full price?

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 10:13 am
ConQuest wrote :

Do we get a free or discounted cross-grade for the Mac version in which case myself and others can upgrade to VDJ 3.4 Pro for windows in the meantime, or do we wait for the Mac version of VDJ 4 because we'll have to pay full price?

Wow... ConQuest is back ;) hehe... Kinda figured something was going on, as a new mac thread was getting popular ;) lol.. Just kidding ..

Regarding your question (4-5 times in this thread), reason its not answered instantly, is simply because we (as a support team) does not know for sure yet.

Couple of scenarios :
- Mac version is first of all for the Numark VirtualVinyl, and if you buy VirtualVinyl I would be pretty sure you get a CD with both Mac and PC version on it.

- Mac version of VDJ.... as said, its first of all a part of the boxed Numark version... But I would guess that VDJ download version would also have a mac version. So, is it crossgrade? I would imagine so. But I dont know for sure. I would only imagine that you pay for a licence to use, and that the right to use software on OS of choice is under that licence. Giving that the software does have such versions available.

But as said, not really sure. If you have a Windows licence, you can install it on a MAC or a PC. But if you have an Adobe Photoshop licence, you only have a licence for one OS version (as far as I know)....

anyways, I'm only speculating, as these matters are not all made sure of yet. Its part of the discussion between Numark and VDJ, and internal of VDJ.
So the Corporate Staff will make the OFFICIAL STATEMENT as soon as things are made sure, and can be published as truth on forum...

I guess in about a week or two you will know it all ;)

Hope that helps :)

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 1:11 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Dj Xeo wrote :

ConQuest wrote :
Completely untrue. As noted above, the FAR MORE DOMINANT Rane Serato Scratch Live AND Stanton Final Scratch BOTH provide windows AND Mac versions of their software at no extra cost.

As i said.........MOST software requires you to buy the other version. games, productivity, development

and to "provide windows AND Mac versions of their software at no extra cost" is kinda a given if "the SSL software is free anyway"

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 3:02 pm
SSL software is free period. Free for PC, free for Mac so the comparisons to SSL don't really make any sense. VDJ is not free software.

Also, no one still has answered the processor question. G4? PC? Both? Neither? Which is it?

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 10:46 pm
I did :) Can you find any new software written only for ppc or intel macs?? And for PC it will be for sure. So we are expecting all 3 versions :)

Posted Wed 02 Aug 06 @ 10:52 pm
anewsome wrote :
SSL software is free period.

its not free period... ;) Its looked to a hardware box, that you HAVE TO BUY to use it. You can not use it with any other soundcard, but that one...

So its not really free software... its a free download for the soundcard box customers, and noone else than owners of that box can use the software :)

Posted Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 5:11 pm
47%