Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: VDJ Skin Maker - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

nice!!!!! look forward to testing the skin maker!!! great work!!!

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 1:29 pm
Will certainly help the new skin makers out there :)

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 6:15 pm
vbjackPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Another update on my progress - I have worked out many of the bugs in the vb code. The interface is looking nice and I am trying to keep it as sinple as possible to make it user friendly.

I still have to finish writing the code for the XML Coding part (that sucks! there are always bugs) - but I am doing it none the less.

I know I keep promising the Beta ver. to be finished and I am now pushing for Sunday. If the XML part of the coding goes well then it will be ready for testing. Of course it will have errors unknown to me at the time of development.

As of right now:

1. You can start new projects from scratch (with a BMP already created in another drawing program. ie. Adobe, Paint etc..)

2. Open exisiting projects and view all of the XML code properties for the project - with corisponding maps of each control drawn on the Skin itself (pretty cool, if I say so myself)

3. Draw maps(masks) over the controls and associate them with VDJ Skin Elements - Edit/Add/Delete the Properties of each element Dynamically - The zoom box I provided in the Application allows you to view a zoomed in portion around the mouse as you draw the control on the Skin. This allows precise coordinates for the Buttons,Sliders, etc.. - Also as the mouse moves over the skin it will display the exact X,Y coordinates in the toolbar so you can edit the Properties of the elements exactly.

4. I have added a few other nice features to the application for the viewing of the XML Code, You can select the colors of the Maps(masks) drawn on the skin - Nice feature for someone creating funky colored skins.

Just a note.

I know not many people are harrasing me to finish this app but I have gotten a few emails (names excuded) of people pushing for me to finish this application. I have to say I am a full time programmer 5 days a week 8-5 (that is my given profession) - I work 3 nights a week either DJ'ing or helping DJ - and ah... I do have a life. I will finish this very soon. For those who do not know programming can become a very time consuming task, I only started with a small plan for the program and it has grown into a full blown development application. I am not complaing, I love what I do - but errors that happen can cause other errors when fixed and so on. which makes for headaches.

On the other hand most people have been nothing but supportive and I thank those people for that. I promise this app will be finished very soon and hopefully we will be able to see many new and exciting skins for VDJ.

A cool Note - I have been testing the application with Skins from the VDJ Skin section. I have found that some of the skins XML code seems perfect - Others not so perfect - It is nice looking at the application analize the XML code and you can visually view what the code is on the skin.

OK enough blabber from me. I have a date.

-JaK

PS - if there are features anyone would like to see in the app please, please either post them here or email me ASAP so I can either start to incorporate them or actually do it.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 11:31 pm
i Want it too !

my mail is on my profile.

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 12:10 am
Jak,

What else can I say other than you are a legend.

I really can't wait to try this app...The funniest bit is you've already made the app...then you go and ask what else we wan't out of it...emm I thought you had a life lol.

I've never made a skin for anything before, but if it lets me make a skin out of a bmp then thats more than good enough for me lol.

I've done VB coding before so I can truly appreciate what you were aying about one error being the cause of another once you fix the first problem.
I had to do a hotel booking system as my first full app...what a nightmare that was.

This really is what you call giving something back to the community...so...in advance...

THANK YOU.

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 12:23 am
vbjack... i know its tricky and hard with all the xml code... :) so we are not going to give u a bad time if there are "bugs"... :)

its a great work allready, and a very very very very nice tool for skin makers :)

thanx a lot for taking this huge task on your shoulders.. :)

if u need any help, let me know

dj in norway

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 1:06 am
Thanks again everyone.

dj-in-norway - ah.. the XML code it actually pretty straight foward. It is just a pain to write it manually in notepad, etc... the reason i say that is I have and still do work with XML in some of my applications. the XML acts as an updated version of an ini file from the win3.1, 95, 98 days.I have classes already written that prase the XML code perfectly for me. The main area I am having a problem with is mapping the XML Code to the Treeview and the Maps(masks) on the skin. and at the same time being able to update them on the fly. Once I work that out to correctly update the correct part of the skin/XML it will be fin.

I do need 1 thing and I guess you could say that this is pointed to the VDJ Dev. Team.

DJ Speedland - Stated above that not all the functions are posted in the Skin Developement area of the VDJ Site.

If anyone knows or has these additional functions please email them to me. I want to get them in this weekend as I finish the XML part of the app.

-Jak

I am now off for the night (I'm Late, I'm Late)

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 1:25 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@ Jak

Must say that from what I hear 'till now, all I can say is PERFECT!! :) Of course there will be bugs and new needed features etc, so the word isn't apropriate, but VDJ is perfect too, don't you think? lol. :)

It's awsome that you're using your knowladge to help all potential talents making new skins for whole community (including you naturally) so, since you're doing it for free, we should all buy you a beer one day :)

Great work, take your time (never rush :P), and keep in mind we all (well, a lot of us) support you in a great thing you're doing!

Cheers! ;)

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 10:16 am
couldn't have said it better ;) totaly agree with erxon, and 10 beers on me :) lol

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 5:38 pm
If anyone wants to contact me, I put my contact info in my profile for AOL/AIM/MSN.

And I am going to hold everyone accountable for that beer! :)

-JaK

Posted Sun 11 Jul 04 @ 12:50 am
Please do not do that.

Posted Sun 11 Jul 04 @ 7:32 am
What happened to Jak lol...did he die?

Hope not! :-$

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 8:38 pm
nope... he is still working on it :) and there is beta testing now :) and I can tell u it looks very good ;)

Posted Fri 23 Jul 04 @ 12:13 am
I don't get the "Please do not do that." from the Moderation staff. Do not do what?

Posted Fri 23 Jul 04 @ 12:48 am
its just a joke :)
"hold everybody accountable for a beer"..... ;)

that would be a LOT of beers .... lol

Posted Fri 23 Jul 04 @ 2:06 am
I am just doing a few modifications to the BETA version - I will have it posted on this web site later today.

-Jack

Posted Fri 23 Jul 04 @ 7:10 pm
GwennPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks to say us when we can test this beta version.

Gwenn

Posted Fri 23 Jul 04 @ 7:29 pm
VDJ Skin Maker. The BETA version is almost ready for Testing. It is actually ready, I have submitted it to some of the members of the VDJ Team and they are checking it out right now. When they are finished they will either let me know what I have to do to get it posted on thier web site, or how I will be able to get it to you, the users. As I said they are checking it out now and that is normal since I do not work for them or ATOMIX. they are busy and I am sure they will be done ASAP. Please check this thread in the fourm for any updates. I can tell you this, I had a few friends and collegues check it out and they love it!

-JaK

Posted Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 7:31 pm
woohooo!

Posted Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 10:05 pm
look forward to all trying it, and get past beta stage ;)

its a GREAT tool!!! :D

Posted Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 1:31 am
36%