Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: playing DVDs - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere else. There still isn't a "Video" forum, so it's difficult to find threads regarding video.

Anyways, I am having difficulty playing DVDs in VDJ. I know that it's just some stupid thing I'm doing wrong, but that would just make it easier to find help, right?

After I put the DVD into the drive, I go to the browser in VDJ and open the drive. There is an audio and a video folder. No matter what file I load on to the desk, however, I just get "Error". I know that .vob is in the extentions, so what am I doing wrong?

I have software to play DVDs (Cyberlink Power DVD) but do I need some other codec to make it work with VDJ? I know that it's really obvious and I feel really stupid asking, but someone please help.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 12:42 am
yeah i get the same error and i have a dvd codec on my lap top and i just got some promo vid. and i want to mix them help

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 12:57 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
try this program theres a 21 day demo avaliable

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

it will automatically unencripts all of your dvd's as well as your copy protected audio cd's without you doing a thing. it works for me.

Heres what it does...

"AnyDVD works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection of a DVD movie as soon as it's inserted into the drive, allowing you then to backup the movie using a DVD backup tool such as CloneDVD. You can also remove the RPC region code, thereby making the movie region free and viewable on any DVD player and with any DVD player software.

AnyDVD is capable of removing unwanted movie features, including subtitles and prohibition messages such as copyright and FBI warnings. It also allows you to launch an external application whenever you insert or remove a disc, or prevent 'PC-friendly' software from automatically launching when you insert a video DVD.

Decryption is not all that AnyDVD offers. You can control the drive speed of your DVD drive, allowing you to reduce the noise level when watching movies on your PC. You can even adjust the display frequency of your monitor for both NTSC and PAL displays.

But AnyDVD doesn't just stop at DVDs. It also decrypts protected audio CDs to allow you to copy them.
Features

* Works automatically in the background
* Removes encryption (CSS) and region code (RPC) from DVDs
* Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)
* Removes features such as forced subtitles and warnings
* Decrypts without the need to save the data onto your hard-disk
* Decrypts 'on the fly'
* Prevents automatic launching of 'PC-friendly' software on video DVDs
* Allows adjustment of your monitor refresh rate for both NTSC and PAL monitors
* Allows execution of external programs on disc insertion and removal
* Allows speed control of your DVD drives
* Compatible with all DVD media
* Works with all DVD-drives, regardless of region code
* Works with all DVD copying, such as CloneDVD, and all DVD player software
* Works transparently for the operating system: DVDs can be shared over the network and copied with the command prompt or with Windows Explorer, etc.
* Proven to be stable and fast and does not require an ASPI driver
* Features AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected audio CDs

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:10 am
Thanks for the help, but how does everyone else do it? I doubt everyone uses this program whenever they want to use a DVD in VDJ.

Or, does anyone know of a good free program for ripping DVDs?

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:21 am

Well, he might be right... protected dvd's might not work directly to Virtual DJ.

anyway, there is a free ripper included in the Virtual DJ install, or you can google for SmartRipper (recommended app)

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:45 am
i have one called dvd shrink but the dvd i got are promos and paid for i should be aloud to play them .i dont want to have to start ripping dvd now too realy how can we just play them or add a codec codce whatever the spelling i hpe you know what i mean

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:47 am
Yeah, I actually am using DVD Shrink as well, but the output is still a .vob file and VDJ can't seem to read it.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:49 am
i am going to try the other one i have my dvd burner on my other pc

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:51 am
what dose the yellow face and letter mean

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:52 am
Those are to send private messages or ban people from sending them to you. All you have to do is hover your mouse over them and they will tell you.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:54 am
thats for sending private messages & blocking private messages.

Anyway to play dvd's form original disks that are protected you need a program like anydvd.
Download the trial and give it a go. it also helps other programs make successful rips if you dont want to play directly from the dvd's

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 1:56 am
what trial i have 3.2 do you mean like win dvd or cyber dvd i have win dvd on my laptop and can watch movies on it .i dont want to load them on my drive .i just want to play the dvd direct

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 2:26 am
i was meaning the trial of anydvd from the website above, that program should let you play the dvds direct through vdj without copying them to the computer.

its not actually a dvd player or codec itself so you still need the decoder your using, it just unlocks all of the protections on the dvd disks (and audio cds) so that they can play correctly

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 2:42 am
I tried using the trial version of that program, but it didn't work. Do you know of a program for me to just convert the .vob to something VDJ can play without problems?

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 2:57 am
you could use ripdvd which is included with the vdj installation.

re. anydvd what dvd software have you got installed, i have 'InterVideo WinDVD 6' and the codec supplied with that seems to work fine for me when i'm using Anydvd.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:03 am
ok nice but witch one should i use i went to the site the one that ssaid anydvd?

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:07 am
cool yeah i have win dvd i am going to try that

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:10 am
Problem is I have some .vob files that are not actually on a DVD because I extracted them from one already using DVD Shrink. Also, it only gives me the option of .vob as the output, it won't let me do Divx or mpeg. I feel like such an idiot not being able to do this......

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:12 am
it could be somthing to do with how dvdshrink mods the files. the dvd encoder programs that seem to be most popular are 'flaskmpeg' and 'neodivx' though there are plenty out there (these are the two that i've had some experience with)

anydvd wont be anygood for this as it is only used for when there is an actual dvd or cd in the drive.

try those two programs above and see if they help

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:23 am
The problem with DVD Shrink is that I didn't actually burn the results on a DVD. Rip DVD will only allow you to select an disk in an actual drive. I'll try "flaskmpeg" and "neodivx", thanks.

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 3:27 am
87%