Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Opinions on best Powered Speakers - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My choice, Alesis MKII,,,,My Parter Choice Mackie...My friend Choice yamaha, another Friend Genelec ,Is About your ears, Your Room, your enviroment...Your Wife,,,oops.. There are too many powered speakers in the market...flip a coin....Good LucK

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 3:16 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Peavey is nice but i guess it depends on what your tryng to with them for dj'ing i use Cerwin Vega and for karaoke i use Peavey you can always find alot of deals on E-bay on either

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 9:18 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Lots of opinions, as expected. Does anyone have any experience with American Audio? I'm looking at the tri-pack. I've only read one review on them(DJ Magazine). Thanks to all who have replied. Keep 'em coming

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 8:40 pm
Is there a big city near you that has a large show room? I go to Wheaton, MD USA and Chuck Levins has darn near every make and model on display and you can hear them blasting with and without subs. You can't beat hearing them all side by side. And when you go, bring a CD that you really know and like so you can make a decision.
I have had good luck with powered and non powered EV and with non powered JBL.
If I win the lottery I'm going with Cyder's recommendation!

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 10:51 pm
Wilmington is 15 mins away and Philly is 45 mins away. I'll look at some music stores around here.

Posted Sat 12 Nov 05 @ 4:27 am
Stay AWAY from American Audio apeakers. I have never heard good reviews on these and have heard MANY negatives.

Going on a tight budget is just completely wrong. Cyder's suggestion is correct but is at the high end. AA, Gemini are at the bottom of the barrel.

You're best bet is to gather a few more dollars and go with the EON G2's. Sure you can get almost 4 15" American Audios for the price of the JBL's, but there's a REASON they cost more.

Spend the extra dough and never worry about breakdown, meltdowns, etc..

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 7:23 am
I agree with yourbasicdj. Saw some other dj's buying cheap stuff and the were very unhappy with it afterwards. If you spend some extra money on good stuff you could use it for years without any problem. Cheaper stuff will give sometime problems (broken speakers, bad sound, overheated amps) and you will have to replace them.
Pro stuff will keep its value also over the years.
Ewout

Posted Sun 13 Nov 05 @ 1:14 pm

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 2:12 am
themrfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When I purchased my system from a friend of mine, it came with a Carvin subwoofer with two 18" subs in it, and two smaller Carvins (15" woofers) to round it out. I added two Peaveys (also 15" woofers) to the mix and a second Carvin subwoofer. Everything sounds great, but I still needed more audio for school proms in gyms and outdoor venues, so I purchased the Powered Carvin 1588A speakers.

The 1588A's have two 15" woofers and crank out 900 watts each. Now I have noticed that all I need for a decent gig is a sub and the two powered units, and it sounds great with less to haul in and out and plenty of volume.

www.carvin.com

Posted Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 5:07 am
gvmusicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
JBL EON15 G2

This is the only set you will need for events from 20 to 400!

Great sound and lots of inputs!

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 2:06 am
I've seen a few ppl mentioning Carvin, but can they really be good at those prices? The PM15A (350w total) runs $349 direct and the SW1801BA (800w) runs $559. Are these really a good deal?

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 8:17 am
I also use the Behringer B-300 for my tops. I run them with a yorkeville sub. Probably the most bang for your buck. I did run into problems with one one of them as soon as I got it. It got so hot I cold fry an egg on it. Sent it back and got my replacement and no problems since. I would focus on not going on too much of the cheap side when it comes to your sub though.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 9:52 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I only have one pair of powered speakers they're a pair of Peavey Impulse 500p they've been very good to me, could handle wedding receptions (100 - 200 people) without a problem
you just have to look at what you need them for.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 10:20 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mackie SRM-450 are very good 12" active speakers.

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 10:38 pm
In the USA JBL, Mackie and EV are quite popular. In europe very popular are the D&B speakers, but they dont have active ones. Also the Fohhn Xperience4 series are very good. But this is another price range equipment than the other speakers mentioned
Ewout

Posted Tue 15 Aug 06 @ 11:29 pm
Hey I am wondering noone mentioned RCF?
2 months ago i was at the speakers store, they had everything between 12 and 18 inch, passive and active. JBL, Mackie, Limit, FBT, blah blah, RCF... i heard all them on single space and by my opinion for 12" active speakers, strongest are Mackie SRM 450 and best are RCF Art 300 (or some newer model, not sure). Mackie just have more mids and highs, RCF is 10-15% weaker, but have alot more bass, smooth mids, crystal clear highs, anyway best plastic 12" I ever heard. Of course that is my opinion, hope this helps

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:04 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
While we're on the subject of speakers out of the price range of the original poster, I have to mention that the Bose PAS system that I use has very good sound an fills a room well; the sound level is not noticeably different between 3 meters and 30 meters from the speaker. It is weak on the lows even with 2 B1 Base modules, so I added a QSC HPR181W Powered Subwoofer. The Bose does gives you mids and highs you never hear with the average DJ speaker, and the QSC fills in the base very nicely.

One drawbackwith the Bose PAS is that it really needs walls to work correctly. Bring it outside and it loses all of its carry.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:54 am
Carvins, anyone? lol I think i have narrowed it down to the JBL EON15 G2's and the Mackie SRM450. Of the two, the Mackie seem to be more reasonably priced.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 1:16 am
Speaking of JBL's, their subwoofer output worries me. At 250, it makes the sub less powerfull than the eon15 G2's. Shouldn't the subwoofer have a more powerful amplifier? I know that numbers aren't everything and since they are JBL, I'm sure that the sound is good, but is it powerful enough or will it be NECESSARY to get 2 EON Subs? I'm looking at the Mackie SWA1501 powered sub and it seem way more impressive, with it 500W of continuous power amp. Its peak output is rated @ 128dB, while the EON Sub's is 117dB. Any thoughts?

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 2:43 am
DeeJay EL

I listened to both the jbl Eon and the Mackies and bought the Mackies because I thought the sound was better. I haven't regretted it. I thought the JBLs sounded slightly 'boxy'. Just my taste, I'm sure, but best to listen to both if you can. The Mackies really respond to good sound source. I have tried them with WAV files and they sound absolutely great so I am using more and more WAV files for special tracks.

A

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 11:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)