Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercules DJConsole - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I specifically checked before ordering. The Herc site said "Virtual DJ from Atomix Productions, a full professional DJ software suite" And "Large software suite included.. ..Virtual DJ. Full professional DJ Software, specifically tailored for DJ Console".

If I sold you a pair of trousers on the basis that a “specifically tailored” jacket was included in the deal. How would you feel if the Jacket had missing pockets and only one sleave. At no time have I seen this “full professional DJ software” described as “Lite”, “Basic” “SE” or in any way restricted.

Yes some of the fault lays with Herc’ and I’m trying to sort out my other hardware problems with them. But still it is Atomix that won’t even allow me down load plug-ins that give essential features that are included for free with other software.

But please, don’t get me wrong the DJ Console/VDJ setup is a great idea. I just want one that works like it says it would.

“Atomix was kind enough to release a 1.07b patch”

No this is a business. This week they all got paid, but my software can’t even cope with 130bpm+ and my harware throws a fit every 3-6 tracks………

“I personally don't feel like I've been cheated by either Hercules nor Atomix on this one.”

You paid out a wedge for something that does not work fully and for all I know may never do so and you “don't feel like I've been cheated” ???

Dude, do you want to buy some magic beans?

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 1:46 am
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
You paid for a console. You have a console. The VDJ version you got is free and fully functionnal with this console. Unlike the trial version, your version is not time limited. So you can use it like a professional DJ.
But if you want to use other hardware than the console, or get the advanced features such as the plugins, you'll have to buy the full version available on this website. That's all. Check out the other softwares in the djconsole package, I'm not sure you get free licenses of these softwares...

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 9:58 am
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
As I said in my post, you do get a full DJ package, and I am happy with the feature set included. I should have clarified that I think it is Hercules who should have explained that the bundled VDJ was a cut-down version, as they do with the other packages (which are not a patch on the bundled VDJ in my opinion).

So those of us who visited this site before purchasing knew what to expect, those who didn't, probably didn't. Regarding DJ Rick's comment that a customer shouldn't "expect" a full version of a product to be bundled with a piece of hardware that is only twice the cost of the software, I would say that is simply not the case. I saw, for example, a printer sold with a *full* copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements for only 10 pounds more than the cost of Photoshop elements that was on sale in the same store. How can they do this? Volume discount. VDJ does not cost 110 to make, and can be "sold" to Hercules for as little as Atomix wants to - heck the budnled version may even be given to Hercules for free for all I know. Of course, Atomix' goal is to expand the user base of VDJ and hope that users will pay more to upgrade.

Good business sense in my mind, but clarity on the advertising and packaging from Hercules would have probably reduced the number of comments on here.

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 10:26 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
"You paid out a wedge for something that does not work fully and for all I know may never do so and you “don't feel like I've been cheated” ??? "

As far as I'm concerned:

- my vdj software works fully, and worked fully from the beginning: 1.06 had some glitches but was usable. A few days later, patch 1.07b brought the one functionality that I really wished for, i.e. bpm anchors. Now my expectations were to emulate a standard turntable plus mixer setup. They could have removed the cheesy "samples" functionality, the "loops" functionality, all plugins, I wouldn't care. As long as I have my crossfader, my pitch controls, and an EQ section per channel, for me it's works fully.

- my hercules dj console had one major randomly happening problem, the same that you have. I opened a case with Hercules, they followed up, and as of yesterday they have completely fixed my problem. I'll let them do the communication on that, but know that your hardware issue is about to be resolved. You should probably check the topics I've referred you to every once in a while, I'm sure they'll communicate on this shortly.

Basically, coming from a vinyl dj past, I've been waiting for this before going into the digital world. A soon as I learned about this all-encompassing reasonably priced package, I pre-ordered it. Like many product launches, it was not immediately perfect. But exactly two weeks after I got it (and I believe I was one of the first ones to get it), I've got a software patch from Atomix and a hardware patch from Hercules. Being in the software industry myself, I can say that is is very responsive and responsible from both companies.

So yeah, for a couple hundred bucks, I believe those "magic beans" were a deal. Doesn't mean that I'm a sucker as you seem to suggest with your magic bean comment, just that my expectations were met. But I understand that people's expectations differ, and I understand your point.

Nicolas
ps: and yeah, a built-in ID3 parsing would be nice :)

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 11:07 am
Oh, and what's the 130+bpm problem you're having? are you having problems with BPM detection or is it when actually playing the tracks?
I have no problem playing/mixing 130+bpm tracks, and even drum&bass drums at 160bpm don't pose a problem.
All this on an old notebook, P3 850Mhz 256Mb RAM, W2K Pro.
I did have a few problems at the beginning, but I did some tuning suggested on the technical forums and it's all good now.

Give specifics, maybe we can help...

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 11:16 am
Hi djbambi

Can you provide a link, or details, on the fix from Hercules please?

Cheers

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 2:33 pm
I think http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=2593&page=2 is the place where Hercules will do communication about this issue.

Here is what I know so far:
- last week, Hercules' canadian dev office phoned me to get details about the case I had opened (in which I refer to a/m topic too)
- earlier this week, a director at Hercules Sound and Video unit here in France phoned me, saying they had identified the cause of the problem and believed they had a fix for it
- they overnighted me a new dj console to test, and I gave my old one to the courrier to be returned to them (all this free of charge for me of course)
- I spent last evening playing with the new console and emailed them my positive feedback early this morning.

The new console I got was the same as the old one, with the exception that the jog wheels felt much heavier and tighter, i.e. much more solid.

Used all night with virtualDJ, it behaved perfectly: cueing was precise and stayed where you left it, no wobbling or trembling near the cue point, and especially no random crazy pitch bends in the middle of a mix. EQ knobs were more stable too, their related control widgets on VDJ GUI were still, when before they would sometimes shake a bit (not noticeable by ear, but might have invisibly consumed CPU power).

So they got my positive feedback via email and probably got my old console today, and they told me they would communicate on this forum as soon as they have something. It might just be one of the first production series that got a bit messed up, I don't know for sure. One thing for sure, I got the feeling they are dedicated to customer's satisfaction.

Hang in there, should be a matter of days before your problem is resolved...

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 3:35 pm
Excellent, thanks. I really hope they can come up with something that doesn't necessitate a product return, but I'm very glad that at least you've got a working one - that means they cn make a working one! I think mine is the same as your original one - the jog wheels are very wobbly.

Hey, maybe the new one you've got has the controls wired up to MIDI ;-)

Well done to Hercules for addressing the issue so quickly.

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 4:10 pm
“You paid for a console. You have a console. The VDJ version you got is free and fully functionnal with this console.”

"BTW, you paid for the console. The special edition of VDJ was an extra…"

If that is so why does my DJ Console only function as a DJ console with “VDJ-lite”? AND why does “VDJ-lite” only function with this specific hardware?

Seams to me these are two essential halves of a single whole.

Man walks into a garage, "Hey! That car you just sold me has a cardboard floor and there's no fuel tank!" "Sorry Sir but I sold you an engine, gearbox and 4 wheels, the rest was bundled in for free" ;-)

Anyway, looks like Hercules might yet make good on the most important problems. A product recall to replace with a new fixed console would go a long way to restore my faith in Hercules.
Funny how non of the glowing web reviews of the console could see what to me is unmissable...... :-/

Posted Fri 19 Dec 03 @ 8:09 pm
Hey djbambi,

Sorry if I sounded a little short there, no offence intended. You see In the past I have met supposedly fellow users that were blind to a products failings that were in fact support staff trying to control bad press and mislead prospective customers, Yeah, how lame can you get? And legally on VERY shaky ground to.

I had one of the first AWE32 sound cards in my old 486/66, Creative said it was full duplex (rec & play at same time) it wasn't. They said it had an MPU-401 UART midi interface, it didn't, it was emulated in software so just using pitch bend would slow playback as software drivers struggled to process the midi data in time.

Enter Mr Duane Breedle AKA Legion AKA Anon, there was a bit of a ding dong in the main soundcard newsgroup with owners moaning and warning others not to buy. Mr Breedle repeatedly counter posted saying how we had got it wrong, that the AWE32 was faultless, he was very happy with it and implied that anyone saying otherwise was a liar or a fool. Then when we clearly established the problems were real he changed his name to Legion and started abusing users. Some time later, By chance, checking web counter logs for my defunct site, I spotted repeated connection from IIRC ..dbreedle.creative.sup.... I found his personal web site and sure enough on his CV this guy was working for Creative!

They never fixed the AWE32 and even AWE64's had the same failings. They made money but lost a lot of customers. Not surprising there are now so many firms building semi-pro sound cards. Creative is still mainly in the lower end in spite of its greatly improved products, Audigy 2 for one.

Posted Sat 20 Dec 03 @ 12:57 am
indy25Home userMember since 2003
OKay, so I've not looked at the forum till now.

DJ Rick said :-
>So Virtual DJ sells for 114.00 The console you bought sells >for what... 250.00, or less... depending how good you >shopped around.
>Did you honestly expect a free full version of the software >with the console? What about the other softs that came >with it... are they full versions?

On VirtualDJ website,

Virtual DJ is available from this website at the price of 99?.

Virtual DJ with Hercules DJConsole is available in general consumer stores and DJ stores, at the price of 219?.

Virtual DJ Pro will be available starting mid-January on this website and in DJ stores, at the price of 249?.

So, we have full software for 99 euro. The semi-pro solution for 219 euro with "crippled" software, and the pro solution for 249 euros with, from what I can tell, a full version of the software. The other versions of the software are described as "lite" or "demo" on the hercules website.

And don't try the "It's hercules advertising fault" as on your own website, it says "Virtual DJ with Hercules DJConsole". Again no mention that it is a lite version there either.

So in answer to your question, yes I would expect a full verison of the software, as there is only a 30 euro difference between the pro and semi pro solution.

As far as I can tell, the only real difference is the fact that you can download the plugins from the website. So you're expecting us to pay 99 euro for the privelage of downloading the plugins?

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 4:20 pm
I think VirtualDJ is priced pretty well and feel that people should support them by buying the full version. Most DJ controllers come with a sample version of the software. this is just to get you started.

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 6:15 pm
indy25Home userMember since 2003
If you read my post, VirtualDJ Pro comes with the FULL VERSION of virtualj, and for only 30 euro more with what is apparently a better controller.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 03 @ 2:20 pm
TVO00Home userMember since 2003
i think VDJ has to give the dj-console users the privelege to get the full version at a verry low price and have to admit that they made a mistake when they said that virtual dj was included in the package

Posted Mon 29 Dec 03 @ 3:19 pm
TVO00Home userMember since 2003
sorry i mean the pro version not the semi-pro version

Posted Mon 29 Dec 03 @ 3:38 pm
DaDukeHome userMember since 2003
I'm just curious, have anyone of you had problems loading .wma and .cda tracks?

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 3:02 pm
GwennPRO InfinityMember since 2003
DaDuke : I haven't problem with .wma and .cda

Have you install windows media player 9? It's require to read .wma.

For .cda files, I don't know why it doesn't work for you

Gwenn

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 3:19 pm
DaDukeHome userMember since 2003
DJ Speedland :

Nope, that dont fix it. I've tried...
Read and write in the "Problem loading songs" thread if anyone knows anything about this problem...

Posted Tue 30 Dec 03 @ 10:26 pm
how can i ge back my serial nuber i only have my programm but mo serial number

Posted Thu 05 May 05 @ 1:37 am
so i have to buy a new one again ?

Posted Thu 05 May 05 @ 1:39 am
98%