Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: omnis-duo Prerelease discusion - Page: 1
Pioneer (or rather AlphaTheta) product, the Omnis-Duo being used by roaming DJ SUAT.

Facebook video

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 2:03 pm
He's taken it offline now.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 6:21 pm
OK now there's an official image from the AlphaTheta area of the NAMM exhibitor directory.

So we have a new controller, new speakers and a wireless transmitter on the table.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 7:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
So they went portable... only a few years behind that fad. Carrying on the standalone fad that was born in the era of vista machines.
Hardware development is as dull as dishwater.

I can't say I care really.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 7:37 pm
Looks very much like a Denon Prime Go with a facelift

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 7:41 pm
Well plenty of Denon users wanted something bigger than the Go but not Prime 2 size...

Plus if those speakers have a low latency wireless connection (and maybe battery too) that's also a popular request from DJs.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 7:43 pm
It looks like a plastic cheap version of the Prime go.

As much as I'm not a fan of Engine there's no denying it's a great small solid controller.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 8:22 pm
Speakers appear to be called WaveEight.

110W with an 8 hour battery life, 8" woofer & 1" soft tweeter.

The wireless connection is being called SonicLink and uses 2.4GHz.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 11:06 pm

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 10:14 am
Obviously it "caches" some seconds of audio from the "external" device in order to do so.

TBH, I know iPhone users will hate my comment, but I had people with Android phones "beam" me their tracks via Bluetooth (as files) on my laptop for almost a decade now, maybe even more. And pretty much I could receive a file within 30 secs or so, and then play the hell out of it, however I liked!
Yes, even with Stems (if they existed back in the day)

Now imagine showing up at the DJ, requesting him to play your song via Bluetooth, and after the initial 5-10 second cache, while your track is playing, your wife starts calling you!!! LOOOL..

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 4:53 pm
Yes there's a ten second cache, if you want the DJ functionality. You can also just play from BT directly with basic start/stop.

Aside from the Bluetooth, I find it a little odd that there's no way to change the key of a track.

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 5:13 pm
Considering the target audience, I don't :P
I mean "Key mixing" is around for quite some time, but it never took off as a "core" DJ operation.
And I'm sure most of the people that would consider to buy this thing, would never use key shift, even if it was offered somehow.
Hi End / Club gear is another story. So yes, it seems odd, but not really..

TBH, I would like to see a "big" "club" controller streamlined more towards core operations, instead of having tenths of minor buttons here and there that don't make it on the next product :P

Something like a DDJ-RZMKII (but that ain't gonna happen)

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 7:28 pm
Even this basic DJay app on my phone can change key! IMO it's a standard thing now.

Considering the Omnis Duo displays keys and can sort by key, it seems strange that it's not possible.

By the way George, do you guys have any info on how the unit works with VDJ yet? For example being able to display a full skin on the screen vs it being in firmware?

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 8:24 pm
Watching some reviews I can't help thinking it's where Apple are as in reviewers are scared to say anything negative in case they lose the right to get new products. The Mojaxx one is especially like this.

Posted Thu 25 Jan 24 @ 9:55 pm
It's amazing that people are actually also going crazy on forums over the Pioneer DJ -> AlphaTheta name switch (as presented/printed on hardware), as if the logo printed on the device matters more than the feature set/reliablity it provides...are DJs really that shallow that they would boycott the same hardware brand because of a name/logo change?

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 1:13 am
I know the industry needs all levels of controllers but looking at this device just does not excite me at all

It seems to encompasses a lot of things that I feel pull down professionalism

Bluetooth, wireless speakers, battery operated,

And your going to knock me for my next comment...

They could change the name to ' my first DJ controller '. And add 'suitable for 4 years and up,' put it in a nice colourful box....

Having said that, I will recover with the old proverb, 'a bad workman always blames his tools' and I am sure any professional will still be able to rock with it, just like they would do with any other controller

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 3:21 am
Plenty of people using Prime Go for weddings or gigs requiring a quick setup, but it looks the part. This blue thing is horrible.

At the end of the day I don't think there are two setups our there exactly the same. What works for you nay be terrible for someone else.

Regarding the name change I think its bizarre. Companies normally rebrand when they are I'm trouble or have problems with brand recognition. Neither of there apply to Pioneer.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 6:59 am
Unless they do not want to have the tarnish the Pioneer name on this controller.. (I joke)

Most times when Companies change names .. they transition with Alpha Theta's Pioneer for a few years.. the it becomes just Alpha Theta..

Or maybe there will be 2 lines of equipment: Pioneer and Alpha Theta .. (like Lexus and Toyota)

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 7:44 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As speculated on djtechtools Pioneer DJ has not been part of the Pioneer brand for 10 years now, so there's a lot of possible reasons why they don't want/can't use the Pioneer name anymore.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 7:47 am
Great point .. was not aware of that !

--------------------
Here are 2 screen grabs for the original fb video that GroovinDJ mentioned in the first post.. was going to ask about the speakers setup used in the portable setup.. (never found time to ask)
as can be seen in shadow in first, and in behind in second.

Posted Fri 26 Jan 24 @ 7:57 am
83%