Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Advice on DVS device
Hi, fisrt time poster so apologies for anything wrong.

I’m looking at a few options to get my analog setup onto VDJ.

My first option is a used Numark Scratch. Would a Numark scratch work with VDJ and anyone use one and have feedback? Also what time code vinyl should I use with it? The Serato ones?

My other options I’m considering are a Pioneer DJ Interface (I have an analog mixer if I choose this route)

Gemini PMX 10. With this option, again, what time code vinyl should I use? I’m in Australia so the VDJ records are not as readily available as most of the other brands.

I will be using a MacBook Air. I have technics 1210’s and a vestax mixer, but happy to use a DVS mixer instead. Thanks.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 24 @ 9:02 pm
A quick look at the Supported Hardware page would answer your questions as to what is already supported, plug and play, by VirtualDj - the Numark Scratch is listed there, so the answer to your question about it is yes, it is fully supported.

An additional note, given you understand a bit about how DVS works, and you know that pretty much any soundcard can be setup to work with VirtualDJ, you'll know that you just need a soundcard with enough input and outputs to route the DVS signal into VirtualDJ for processing and out to your soundsystem for listening.

The Numark Scratch and the Pioneer controllers you are referring to are more than soundcards, they have MIDI/HID controls as well. Given you already have an analog mixer (Vestax), you can get to using DVS by just setting up such a regular soundcard or using a regular soundcard that is supported via plug and play in VirtualDJ (the Reloop Flux is one such soundcard). In this case, you'll have to access the additional functionality through your keyboard or a supplementary controller (which you can always get later).

Posted Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 12:29 am
Ok great, thanks for the reply. Regarding my question about the time code vinyl brand? If I went with the Numark scratch what time code vinyl can I use? Does it matter? Do some work better than others?

Same question goes for the Gemini pmx 10 and the religious flux? What vinyl brand is best used ?

Thanks and sorry for any ignorance, I have tried to answer my own question by searching through the forums and looking at those lists but just a little confused

Posted Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 3:43 am
VirtualDJ works well with quite a few different brands of timecode, so you can take your pick of timecode records you want to use (I personally use VirtualDJ timecode as it's well priced and made specifically for VirtualDJ DVS use).

The soundcard/controller you use doesn't matter/influence the choice of timecode records used...all the soundcard does is just pass the DVS signal to VirtualDJ for processing.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 5:19 am
@sozcharles Although certain things might be listed here as compatible with VirtualDJ (i.e. natively supported) you need to check whether it will work with the OS on your computer.

For example, as the Numark Scratch is old, you may find it won't run on newer MacOS.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 11:17 am