Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Algoriddim djayPRO 5 new features include smart beat gridding for uneven tempos - Page: 2
Although I'm stuck on Windows (too old and stubborn to change) I have to admit the Macs are superior in pretty much every way. Processing power, battery life, longevity and great displays.

Windows is slowly fizzling out by staying the same forever unfortunately.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:17 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

what we should be talking about here is how in the hell are they getting STEMS to sound that GOOD on just iPhones/iPads meanwhile we have to have M1's or video cards built for a Hollywood movie set!! Because that's the real star as far as I'm concerned!!
Anyone from the team care to chime in??

Not form the Team
But it's because they use the very powerful bionic chip that is included in iPhones and iPads
They explained that when their Neural Mix v1 came out
It's basically based on the same ARM architecture as the M1 and M2 chips in Apple laptops
That's also why none of their Stems features are included in the Windows version (at least until now - who knows what the future may hold)

Ok that makes sense, Thanks...

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:30 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
kradcliffe wrote :
Although I'm stuck on Windows (too old and stubborn to change) I have to admit the Macs are superior in pretty much every way. Processing power, battery life, longevity and great displays.

Windows is slowly fizzling out by staying the same forever unfortunately.

Qualcomm, Intel and AMD are also making progress improving both om board graphics and adding AI cores, so I think they will catch up soon as well

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:48 pm
Well if someone can make a Windows machine that's similarly priced to the Macbook air and as powerful as a mac with super battery life, good graphics and hardly any heat output then I'm all ears .... but it hasn't happened and probably never will.

My current DJ machine (Lenovo C940) 2019 model which has inbuilt graphics was sold on having a 9.5 hour battery life. I have tested it several times and just idling with the display on 50% brightness it manages around an hour and a half.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:53 pm
I have to say the fluid beat grid is pretty amazing, I've thrown a couple older live songs on against a new studio song and the beats stayed almost perfect . I think VDJ stems still sound better

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 9:13 pm
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
klausmogensen wrote :

It's basically based on the same ARM architecture as the M1 and M2 chips in Apple laptops
That's also why none of their Stems features are included in the Windows version (at least until now - who knows what the future may hold)

yes but is compatible with the intel macs also....

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 9:18 pm
Yep, someone on the Algoriddim forum reported that a 2019 Intel i9 MBP is able to run their stems at 100% quality. And from what I’ve heard on YouTube stems comparisons, the Algoriddim stems are as good as the VDJ ones.

So, they do have some tricks up their sleeves..

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 9:54 pm
Niels (cph) wrote :
Yep, someone on the Algoriddim forum reported that a 2019 Intel i9 MBP is able to run their stems at 100% quality..

I saw this too. Given Algoriddim had a Keynote at an Apple event already in the past and they are treating Apple OSes with preference, I wouldn't be suprirsed if they are getting inside help from/working with Apple devs directly for these releases...maybe they have allowances/extra info that Atomix devs haven't been granted....

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 10:49 pm
Saying they had inside help is a pretty strong assumption. They have been Mac focused from day one. And very good at it . Their iPad software is amazing their Mac software is good. I'm surprised they released a windows version

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 2:02 am
I Googled....

The Algoriddim CEO was an intern at Apple. He became one of their most praised app developers.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 9:22 am
It's interesting seeing the different implementations.

My home machine that I use to precompute stems is a 2019 Macbook Pro 16" with the i9 and Radeon Pro 5500M.

It precomputes around 7.5x on the Windows side and I don't think it works on MacOS at all. As a machine in general it's pretty fast and decent enough to work with bt the graphics processing lets it down.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 10:00 am
I gave it a little run last night.

The track analysis is lightning fast. Select a track to load and it's there in the blink of an eye, ready to go.

Syncing "fluid" tracks seems to work quite well. I found there was a little bit of visible wobble sometimes, but the system seemed to realise and pull the tracks back into line. Very clever stuff.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 11:52 am
groovindj wrote :
I gave it a little run last night.

The track analysis is lightning fast. Select a track to load and it's there in the blink of an eye, ready to go.

Syncing "fluid" tracks seems to work quite well. I found there was a little bit of visible wobble sometimes, but the system seemed to realise and pull the tracks back into line. Very clever stuff.

I would agree 100%

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 1:11 pm
So say you have two "drummed" disco tracks does it warp both tracks in real time so they mix and loop perfectly?

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 2:04 pm
It doesn't warp the tracks, as Ableton Live does (which creates a fixed tempo).

Rather than "warping" the audio to fit the grid, it aligns the grid to the audio - hence Fluid Beatgrid.

This means that the software always knows where the down/up beats are, and what the tempo is, regardless of any fluctuations. The grid fluctuates with the track.

When mixing, whichever deck/track is master controls the other(s), which follow along. What I saw when trying it briefly was a little bit of drifting around between the two tracks, but it quickly corrected itself.

Loops I didn't try, but as the grids are correct (aligned to the beats) they should in theory always be perfect.

Because the tracks are not warped, they won't sound weird, as you describe Dakeyne's re-grids. Also this means that if you don't sync, the Fluid Beatgrids won't help you mix.

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 2:19 pm
As a DJ for weddings and corporate parties, I use a lot of old music from the 70s, 80s, 90s and country music for which it is very difficult to make a correct beatgrid, you have to sit for hours and it doesn't come out right. I tried Djay's new Fluid Beatgrid and I have to say it's awesome. He beatgridded songs that I could never beatgrid properly. I was speechless. It's something fantastic. It would be great if Virtual Dj brought this option too

Posted Fri 08 Dec 23 @ 9:10 pm
+1

Posted Sat 09 Dec 23 @ 9:29 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
I'm surprised they released a windows version

I bought that one to test it. It's pretty bad

Posted Sat 09 Dec 23 @ 12:59 pm
PANOSV wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :

yes but is compatible with the intel macs also....

Yes, as long as it has the parallel processing option that comes with a biometric chip it will work
I don't think any Windows based laptops have that though. So we need a decent GPU for that :)

Posted Sat 09 Dec 23 @ 1:04 pm
Smart beat gridding is the way to do it, if you want to do it
Warping makes some types of music sound flat. Like Oldschool funk or soul. So I never use that

Also it seems like "Smart beat gridding" is basically amped up "Multi BPM". So I guess VDJ is halfway there with the feature

The other main new features it seems VDJ can already do in one way or another...

Posted Sat 09 Dec 23 @ 1:09 pm
82%