Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Algoriddim djayPRO 5 new features include smart beat gridding for uneven tempos - Page: 1
I just watched Mojaxx presenting Algoriddim's new update to their djPRO software on DJCityTV.

Aside from an upgrade to the stems separation and "intelligent" FX when crossfading, the thing that interested me the most was Fluid Beatgrid - the ability for the beat grid analysis to follow varying tempos and display a live BPM readout whilst doing so.

Although I would much prefer a warping style system which can not only detect but correct variations, this is an excellent feature - allowing mixes and FX to be synced to tracks which have drifting tempos.

Atomix the ball is in your court!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOQaNF0p8Y

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 4:32 pm
Pretty sure I asked for live BPM on this forum about 15 years ago :)

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 4:42 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Pretty impressive features.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 4:48 pm
Indeed, and people have long requested warping too - but this so much more than just a live BPM readout.

It's smart enough to follow tempo changes (without needing a special button to tell it) and get them right most of the time too. Obviously a big time saver compared to what VDJ has now - manually going in and adding anchors.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 4:48 pm
So the fluid beatgrid I'm almost certain is using stems, in a smart way to be more accurate (and this was asked for before on this forum).

I would like to see how well it does on a transition track that has no drums (only vocal) in the BPM transition range - I'd expect it would naturally fall short because there isn't anything carrying the tempo to detect.

To be fair though...I think that is the biggest thing they have brought to the table in this new release.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 4:49 pm

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 5:14 pm
Wow!

As Phil says that's incredible.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 5:20 pm
Are you guys really spending that much time editing the best grids?? If so, what are the benefits of spending so much time??

I find the multi analyze function to do a pretty good job in VDJ.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 5:28 pm
Yes, that's definitely what's needed for the vast amount of archive tracks that feature real drums.

It's smart enough to follow the changes with no intervention, at which point any track you sync, or FX you add are following along too.

Mojaxx did say he had to give it a hand on one track, but that's acceptable. Same is true with
Ableton's warping.

Potentially this may also solve the longstanding issue with analysis not being able to tell the difference between ballads and high tempo music like DnB.

@TSI no I hardly spend any time doing that in VDJ as it's way too tedious. If I really need a track to be tight I warp it in Ableton Live - but that may well be a thing of the past now, if Atomix can emulate this.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 5:29 pm
Have to say though that warping sounds unnatural. I guess when you've played the same tracks since the 70s then Mastermix re-grid them they sound terrible. Maybe just me.

I'd rather it was done the Algoriddim way where the grids are correct without actually changing the tempo of the track.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 6:01 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
Are you guys really spending that much time editing the best grids?? If so, what are the benefits of spending so much time??

I find the multi analyze function to do a pretty good job in VDJ.

Honestly man it's not that much of a game changer vs a time saver (and very useful if you collect a lot a transition tracks). Most experienced DJs wouldn't depend on this.

I don't really think what I've seen is very groundbreaking but they are useful/timesaving.
However appeal/ease of use/performance is everything in this game and they know it - a few useful features (requiring little to no user effort) coupled with a nice punchline and ppl who are respected in the community to review and double down, and the appeal gets generated (just look at the comments under the videos and you'll can gauge).

A little more focus on those (appeal/ease of use) + more aggressive marketing of strengths (equivalence of functionality on all major platforms, extensive/comprehensive hardware support, reliability and software performance), and VirtualDJ is right there, if not ahead.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 6:02 pm

There are many benefits of having a precise grid:

- loops
- beatjumps
- fx
- sync
- lighting, e.g. soundswitch
- … and prolly more 😊

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 10:24 pm
Yes so awesome... and

Looking forward to Virtual DJ's, even better version of "Fluid Beatgrid-ing"

Another review: (from Algoriddim's channel: djay Pro 5 - Full Walkthrough feat. DJ Angelo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKPZkGzAfLQ

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 3:24 am
This type of beat gridding may help apply the warping feature easier to use compared to even ableton. Might even help with 60bpm tracks coming up as 120bpm. maybe... its all possible.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:33 am
Yeah, the time stretching is already in there. So, with a precise grid, a warped, constant BPM version could be automagically generated on song load — no need to save it on disk. You could have the option of warping for songs with fluctuating grids, i.e. old disco/funk/soul/rock.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 6:59 am
Yes a feature like this on top of the stems 2.0 we already have would be awesome.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 8:27 am
I'll be giving this a try soon. Just transferring playlists over, then I'll see how well it holds up mixing anything into everything.

When mixing an old drifty track with a new constant one, the idea is that (with the new track as master) the old track will be pulled into shape and lock sync with the new one.

I'm curious about one thing: Will the old track sound OK?

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 10:10 am
Ok ok I get why yawl want that beat grid

BUT

what we should be talking about here is how in the hell are they getting STEMS to sound that GOOD on just iPhones/iPads meanwhile we have to have M1's or video cards built for a Hollywood movie set!! Because that's the real star as far as I'm concerned!!

Anyone from the team care to chime in??

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 3:36 pm

what we should be talking about here is how in the hell are they getting STEMS to sound that GOOD on just iPhones/iPads meanwhile we have to have M1's or video cards built for a Hollywood movie set!! Because that's the real star as far as I'm concerned!!
Anyone from the team care to chime in??

Not form the Team
But it's because they use the very powerful bionic chip that is included in iPhones and iPads
They explained that when their Neural Mix v1 came out
It's basically based on the same ARM architecture as the M1 and M2 chips in Apple laptops
That's also why none of their Stems features are included in the Windows version (at least until now - who knows what the future may hold)

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 3:43 pm
@klaus thank you for providing that information for general knowledge here...they aren't doing anything overly special there, the phones (they use the AX series that is a little less powerful than the MX series due to less cores in the GPU and CPU)/iPads (they use the same MX series as MacBooks) have the processing to do it...simply put.

When they get Windows/Android phones to do the work without being heavy on resources, I'll then be impressed.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 23 @ 4:15 pm
41%