Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PHASE HID - Support in VirtualDJ - Page: 13
djdad wrote :
In your 2nd Video "vdj scrip test", the force- file should be placed inside the /Devices subfolder.
But no need to repeat this test, since your drifting issue happens even with the SZ2 disconnected (1st video).
Can you send/email me your settings.xml file found in VirtualDJ Home Folder ?

sorry bout that. sent.

Posted Sat 06 Jul 24 @ 12:35 pm
So after checking machine resource usage a couple of times while playing, I think there is definitely a problem when using Phase in HID mode and trying to broadcast to radio via ShoutCast (most recently noticed 2 hrs ago). Things I notice:

1. Phase in HID mode almodt immediately starts drifting severely
  2. (Occasionally) when putting the remotes back into the deck (to fallback to vinyl DVS) I noticed that a remote can control the opposite deck for a split second (while putting the remote for the non audible deck back, it actually causes platter manipulation for the audible deck).
  3. When 2) happens, when I switched to DVS I cannot get control of the playing deck with the DVS record until I unplug the Phase receiver.

As soon as I get the DVS setup working, everything goes back to normal, and yhe machine never gives signs of being overloaded, and it only happens when I broadcast, never when recording (which I also do at the same time)

Posted Fri 12 Jul 24 @ 7:19 pm
can the users having drifting in macOS, test their setup in a windows machine? I think the problems maybe about the macOS.
In windows10 I dont have any drifting and/or sound glitches, even the performance is better in win10 I can lower the latency to 64/32 and set performance pitch quality at 4, in macOS Monterey I have sound glitches with latency 64, have to raise it to 128 and lower pitchquality to 2, and still have some random sound glitches and distortion.

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 11:02 am
vdj_pARtybOy wrote :
can the users having drifting in macOS, test their setup in a windows machine? I think the problems maybe about the macOS.

I personally don't have a Windows machine to do this test...maybe others can help here.

vdj_pARtybOy wrote :

in macOS Monterey I have sound glitches with latency 64, have to raise it to 128 and lower pitchquality to 2, and still have some random sound glitches and distortion.

I've not ever touched the latency setting on MacOS (it's currently (and probably was always) at 0) and the results seem ok to me.

The issue I described with the drifting while broadcasting to radio I may have seen an reported before in another context - I've done similar broadcasts + recordings with a DDJ-1000 and had the jogs freeze up (I think at least some part of the Jog functionality is implemented via HID) - i.e. I think this could be a more general HID processing problem when playing with radio broadcast.

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 1:13 pm
Did an event over the weekend and Phase was almost unusable. I had to switch to needles. They kept losing signal constantly. I would take the remotes off, put them in the dock, hit the A/B buttons to reset them, put them back on the platters, give it a minute for them to connect, and they would lose signal again within a song or two later. This was using them as DVS and not HID.

I'm so frustrated by this and have no idea what else to do. I had my WiFi turned off, and there were no other piece of equipment near by that could interfere with their signal, and I'm using very very high quality cables (RCA and USB). I have no idea if this is a VDJ thing or a Phase thing, but's it's really annoying and they're barely even usable at this point.

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 6:58 pm
are you with the Traktor Z2? Phase connected directly to windows laptop? dont use HUBs
post a video and your setup,maybe someone from VDJ will help

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 7:18 pm
It's really unfortunate that there can be multiple places where there could be problems (hardware, Phase itself, VirtualDJ).
Might be good to check the Phase DJ troubleshooting portal here:

https://phasedj.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Honestly the odd time it loses signal for me (lights blinking) it's a calibration or low battery issue for me, and probably only once I had to do a full reset + relink + calibrate with the remotes (and even an unplug + replug) to get it to work.

Other helpful pieces of info tp help troubleshoot:

• What OS are you using?
  • What are the specs of your machine?
  • What is the version of VirtualDJ being used? Are you only running VirtualDJ or are you running something else too? Are you just playing music with VirtualDJ or are you doing other things (playing videos, recording, broadcasting)
  • What other controllers are being used?
  • How is everything (hardware) connected to the Machine? Are you using a hub? If so, is it powered? What generation of USB protocol does it support?
  • What's the version of Phase MWM being used and the version of the firmware being used for the receiver/remotes?
  • Is there a problem with HID mode too?
  • Did the same thing happen with Serato (if you had time to check)?

Posted Wed 17 Jul 24 @ 7:36 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
It's really unfortunate that there can be multiple places where there could be problems (hardware, Phase itself, VirtualDJ).
Might be good to check the Phase DJ troubleshooting portal here:

https://phasedj.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Honestly the odd time it loses signal for me (lights blinking) it's a calibration or low battery issue for me, and probably only once I had to do a full reset + relink + calibrate with the remotes (and even an unplug + replug) to get it to work.

Thanks.....I'm starting to think it's an issue with Phase and their latest release not liking VDJ, because according to some of the Phase groups on Facebook, it appears to be a common problem with a lot of others, but it's across the board between VDJ, Serato and Rekordbox.

• What OS are you using? -- Win 10 64 Bit
  • What are the specs of your machine? -- Fully spec'd out gaming laptop (I9, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080)
  • What is the version of VirtualDJ being used? Are you only running VirtualDJ or are you running something else too? Are you just playing music with VirtualDJ or are you doing other things (playing videos, recording, broadcasting) -- Latest standard build, only music, no other apps or work being done
  • What other controllers are being used? -- Reloop RP-8000s with Z2 mixer
  • How is everything (hardware) connected to the Machine? Are you using a hub? If so, is it powered? What generation of USB protocol does it support? - No hub. Phase is plugged directly into laptop - USB 3.2
  • What's the version of Phase MWM being used and the version of the firmware being used for the receiver/remotes? - Latest version of MWM
  • Is there a problem with HID mode too? - Still loses connection in HID
  • Did the same thing happen with Serato (if you had time to check)? - Not losing connection in Serato or Rekordbox (tried them both last night for about an hour on each software). The second I switched to VDJ...constant connection failures.

Posted Thu 18 Jul 24 @ 12:34 pm
So I think there are known issues with Virtual, Phase via HID and the Kontrol Z2 right now (devs and at least @VDJ_PartyBoy are trying to resolve the issue and confirm solution respectively I think).

Since you can use Serato amd Rekordbox for DVS, I would, do you have another mixer that can be used? If so, and it is supported by VDJ, could you try it with VDJ?

Also, could you describe what is happening when you say it loses signal in VDJ?
Given you selected VirtualDJ timecode in the Phase Manager DVS settings, are signed in with your Pro licence account in VDJ and did calibration in the Timecode tab, it should work. I have noticed sometimes that detection of the device doesn't always guarantee it works (I have to unplug the receiver and plug it back in), but I'm on Mac and that may or may not be true for Windows.

Posted Thu 18 Jul 24 @ 1:17 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
@VISIONZ5
What mixer are you using with Serato ? I guess not the Z2.
If so, do you get disconnections withat mixer in VDJ.

The Z2 has known issues,

Posted Thu 18 Jul 24 @ 4:25 pm
hi all - im having an issue with Phase HID in virtual dj (version 8225 on Mac). when I manually slow the platter to nudge the track slower, virtual dj responds by speeding the track up. thus it's impossible to nudge the music slower for me.

to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I hooked up phase using rcas and switched to DVS - now the manually slowing the platters works - the track will slow.

has anyone else experienced this?

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 3:28 am
When you say "nudge a track a slower" what do you mean exactly?

I ask because I would like to try to reproduce the issue, but when I think of nudging I think of a brief, guided forward motion, which should speed up the track. When slowing down the track I normally touch the side of the platter to do that, to provide resistance to the platter motion. Both of those operations work as expected for me in HID mode.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 1:39 pm
yes I meant just touching lightly the platter to slow it down. when I do that, it seemed to speed up the track! I'll try to take a video to show my issue

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 1:43 pm
So that is very strange. Are you sure you don't have pitch lock/beatlock/auto sync on (what is the value of autoPitchLock? Have you engaged pitchlock or beatlock somehow?).

I'll do some trials later to double check (not home currently) but I don't recall seeing this behaviour.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 4:36 pm
I thought I took off all the sync options - also fwiw it’s doing it when it’s the only track loaded so there would be nothing to sync to.

Here’s all my settings - if u can spot what the error is.

https://imgur.com/a/8XGIlSW

I’m also running the macOS 15.0 beta- if I’m the only person with this issue, maybe that’s the cause of all this. But thought I would throw out my experience to see if this is a common problem.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 5:46 pm
So I just tried it again...the operation slows down the song as expected on platter rub for me, and I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.4 on an M1 MacBook Pro.

AFAIK, those timecode settings should not affect the HID operation of Phase (exept for timecodePitchSliderIgnoreBend, which you should set to false if you want to confirm faster reponse).

It definitely seems like you have pitchlock or beatlock on. Can you create a custom button with the following, execute it and try again:

deck active auto_pitch_lock off & pitch_lock off & beatlock off

Note, sync in VirtualDJ is different from sync in other software...it's a one time on press thing, not a lock. pitch_lock and bealock are the ones that keep the deck synced to the other master.

The button code is just a confirmation of these things being off while operating the deck. I'm not sure what it means if there is no track in other decks though, but it's worth a shot.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 7:20 pm
solved my problem, I think! thanks, @dj vinyl touch for their help!!!

the setting I needed to change was (as mentioned) changing the timecodepitchsliderignorebend to No

also I changed the motorwheelsmoothpercent to 0 but I don't know if that's the root of the problem (may play around a bit more with that). at least it's not speeding up when it's supposed to be slowing down!!!

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 10:04 pm
I thought that anything starting with motorWheel would be for a controller that have motorized platters (e.g. the NS7) but the Phase HID shouldn't fall into this (I coupd be wrong though). Glad that it is solved 🍺.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 24 @ 10:07 pm
Starting to wonder if maybe I have a bad RCA cable. Over the weekend, my left deck was perfectly fine through out the gig. The right deck kept losing signal, wouldnt calibrate, the software deck would start going backwards slowly sometimes, and the timecode tab showed the signal all messed up (jagged and all crazy). I'll buy a new set of RCA's and see if this fixes the issues I've been having in DVS mode. I'll also test in HID mode and see if I can replicate problems.

Posted Mon 29 Jul 24 @ 1:00 pm
If the timecode tab is showing you something bad with the scopes, then it's almost directly pointing to something wrong in the Phase DVS Setup itself.
Does it happen with other software too?
Replacing of the cables is a good move, however, given you have a pair that you know is already working (e.g. the pair your turntable uses) you might be able to check if the thw cables are the problem indeed.
It's also a good time to try HID mode....no RCAs, no required timecode calibration, just plug in the USBs and start playing.

Posted Mon 29 Jul 24 @ 10:40 pm
96%