Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PHASE HID - Support in VirtualDJ - Page: 14
Messing with it more in HID mode, but I have a couple of questions, which might seem kind of dumb but for my own sake, I just want to make sure I have everything dialed in and set up properly. Not sure if this is mapping or a setting, but here what I'm trying to figure out:

1. When the turntable is on and the decks are spinning, I'm unable to pause or stop the track. Hitting Play/Pause in the software does nothing, and if I hit the stop button, it just restarts the playing track at the beginning. The only way to get the track to stop is to physically hit the start/stop button on my turntables. Anyway to override it and make the track stop by hitting the stop button in the software even with the turntables spinning? I had buttons mapped on my keyboard for Play/Stop that work fine in DVS mode, but they don't work in HID.

2. I have the option turned on for the Loop Out to stop the track when it gets to the end of the effect (after a set amount of beats). It works fine in DVS mode, but in HID mode when it gets to the end of Loop Out effect, the track just keep playing instead of stopping. How do you get it to work the same way in HID, like in DVS?

3. In HID mode, when I go to the Time Code tab, nothing is showing. It's completely blank. Just want to make sure this is ok and that it shouldn't be showing the circles like it does in DVS. Also, I'm in Smart Mode instead of Relative or Absolute in case it matters.

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 4:14 pm
So you have to keep in mind that when using it in HID mode, it is functioning as a controller for the decks (pretty much like using any other controller with HID Jogs) in internal mode, rather than producing a timecode signal and allowing the software to listen to the signal changes and figure out how to translate that to track manipulation.

With that said
visionz5 wrote :

1. When the turntable is on and the decks are spinning, I'm unable to pause or stop the track. Hitting Play/Pause in the software does nothing, and if I hit the stop button, it just restarts the playing track at the beginning. The only way to get the track to stop is to physically hit the start/stop button on my turntables.
Anyway to override it and make the track stop by hitting the stop button in the software even with the turntables spinning?

This is expected (except the stop button = restart...are you hitting stop or cue or is there some autocue setting involved here?)...it's honestly a bit interesting to me that you are accustomed to using the software deck transport controls (outside of the pads) with DVS to still control the deck, given the point is to hand control over to the hardware as much as possible.
However, I think you can switch Vinyl mode off for the deck ( effectively switching off deck control for that remote and allowing it to work with fully internal software control), amd you should be able to use all the controls in the software as expected.

visionz5 wrote :

2. I have the option turned on for the Loop Out to stop the track when it gets to the end of the effect (after a set amount of beats). It works fine in DVS mode, but in HID mode when it gets to the end of Loop Out effect, the track just keep playing instead of stopping. How do you get it to work the same way in HID, like in DVS?

This is something I've never done (I just do a post fader echo out for the desired number of beats and drop the channel fader to start) others can chime in here

visionz5 wrote :

3. In HID mode, when I go to the Time Code tab, nothing is showing. It's completely blank. Just want to make sure this is ok and that it shouldn't be showing the circles like it does in DVS. Also, I'm in Smart Mode instead of Relative or Absolute in case it matters.

Once again, HID mode is a controller mode. None of the timecode settings (scopes, calibration, timecode modes), except for timecodeSliderIgnorePitchBend apply.

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 4:40 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
So you have to keep in mind that when using it in HID mode, it is functioning as a controller for the decks (pretty much like using any other controller with HID Jogs) in internal mode, rather than producing a timecode signal and allowing the software to listen to the signal changes and figure out how to translate that to track manipulation.

With that said
visionz5 wrote :

1. When the turntable is on and the decks are spinning, I'm unable to pause or stop the track. Hitting Play/Pause in the software does nothing, and if I hit the stop button, it just restarts the playing track at the beginning. The only way to get the track to stop is to physically hit the start/stop button on my turntables.
Anyway to override it and make the track stop by hitting the stop button in the software even with the turntables spinning?

This is expected (except the stop button = restart...are you hitting stop or cue or is there some autocue setting involved here?)...it's honestly a bit interesting to me that you are accustomed to using the software deck transport controls (outside of the pads) with DVS to still control the deck, given the point is to hand control over to the hardware as much as possible.
However, I think you can switch Vinyl mode off for the deck ( effectively switching off deck control for that remote and allowing it to work with fully internal software control), amd you should be able to use all the controls in the software as expected.

I like to have the start/stop function because there are a lot of times where I don't want the track to play as soon as you load it into a deck. or I'll have a cue point set at a specific spot and I need the track to be paused or stopped before I hit play or the cue point. Autocue isn't on. I saw earlier in this post where DJ Dad added a script to turn on and off HID mode or vinyl mode but it didn't work, so I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out a new work around.

visionz5 wrote :

This is something I've never done (I just do a post fader echo out for the desired number of beats and drop the channel fader to start) others can chime in here

I could drop the channel fader, but it's just an extra precaution to have the track stop playing at the end of the effect in case I forget to drop the fader.

visionz5 wrote :

Once again, HID mode is a controller mode. None of the timecode settings (scopes, calibration, timecode modes), except for timecodeSliderIgnorePitchBend apply.

I figured this out and realized it after I posted this question. lol

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 4:59 pm
visionz5 wrote :

I like to have the start/stop function because there are a lot of times where I don't want the track to play as soon as you load it into a deck. or I'll have a cue point set at a specific spot and I need the track to be paused or stopped before I hit play or the cue point. Autocue isn't on. I saw earlier in this post where DJ Dad added a script to turn on and off HID mode or vinyl mode but it didn't work, so I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out a new work around.

In that case, I normally have the silent_cue verb within a custom pad (you can also have it as a custom button) that I hit to mute the deck before placing channel faders/crossfader in a position that would make that deck audible. From there you can hit a cue or the same button to unmute and get the start you want. It's not the same solution but a workflow that may be adaptable to this case?

visionz5 wrote :

I could drop the channel fader, but it's just an extra precaution to have the track stop playing at the end of the effect in case I forget to drop the fader.

I'm curious for this too. Maybe switching off vinyl mode can allow for the result? Does Echo Out work?

Posted Tue 30 Jul 24 @ 5:10 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :

In that case, I normally have the silent_cue verb within a custom pad (you can also have it as a custom button) that I hit to mute the deck before placing channel faders/crossfader in a position that would make that deck audible. From there you can hit a cue or the same button to unmute and get the start you want. It's not the same solution but a workflow that may be adaptable to this case?

Not the best or most efficient work around. That's the unfortunate thing about using a device in HID mode from what I can see, is that you lose a lot of functionality that you normally would have with DVS or even with a standard controller. It would be nice if there was a way to still have all of the same functions as internal mode if you need them for different results.

DJ VinylTouch wrote :

I'm curious for this too. Maybe switching off vinyl mode can allow for the result? Does Echo Out work?

Echo Out, Loop Out, etc all work fine. In fact, all effects work perfect. However, when ANY effect ends, the deck doesnt stop. It just continues to keep playing when at the end of the effect. Another problem and issue with using HID mode.

I never got it to work when using the script to turn off HID mode so not sure if it's even possible. DVS mode and Internal mode, and even using any controller...everything works perfect and decks stop playing at the end of the effect. HID mode is the only mode that doesnt work that way from what I can see.

Posted 7 days ago @ 6:16 pm
visionz5 wrote :

Not the best or most efficient work around.

This is more a matter of preference though (I would argue that if I can reach one or more buttons I need to do the job from the controller rather than looking at the software screen for a button that would be more efficient to me, but that's just my preference).

DJ VinylTouch wrote :

Echo Out, Loop Out, etc all work fine. In fact, all effects work perfect. However, when ANY effect ends, the deck doesnt stop. It just continues to keep playing when at the end of the effect. Another problem and issue with using HID mode.
I never got it to work when using the script to turn off HID mode so not sure if it's even possible. DVS mode and Internal mode, and even using any controller...everything works perfect and decks stop playing at the end of the effect. HID mode is the only mode that doesnt work that way from what I can see.

Given you are saying the expected behavior happens in full internal mode, when you say turn off HID mode do you mean switch off Vinyl Mode on the deck (the deck should fully be in internal mode then) or are you doing something else? I do seem to remember the former allowing me to pretty much do everything mouse wise on the deck, but I'll have to try it when i get back home from work to be sure.

HID mode is different from DVS mode in behaviour (intentionally so, and you'll find those differences when using it with other software too), and learning to work with both does have it's merits. But that's the good thing, VirtualDJ gives you the option to work with either (devs were earlier thinking about removing Phase DVS support and a few of us did argue against it for reasons like this).
If DVS mode works for you then the option is always there to work with it. I do think something strange is happening with the loop out thing - I'll try it when I get home too.

Posted 7 days ago @ 7:01 pm
What version of VirtualDJ?

Posted 7 days ago @ 8:48 pm
v2024-m b8208

Posted 7 days ago @ 9:15 pm
So I just did a video to test out the issues that were described:

• Disabling of vinyl mode does allow for complete deck manipulation in internal mode from the software
    It is true, once you have HID mode enabled, you cannot switch off the deck once the remotes are moving/controlling. However, once you switch vinyl mode off, you can (as you can see in the video). Switching vinyl mode off is not the same as toggling Phase HID mode as the Phase control type in the options
  • There is a bug with Loop Out usage and the Phase HID remote
    Two actually. The one that was described earlier is, if you toggle the effect on, it loops out to silence, but then starts playing again given the deck is still turning (which is wrong or at least not the same as what happens in internal mode).
    The other problem is that there is a glitch when it arrives at complete silence (when turned on/being used with pure internal mode)
  • the drift issue (at least for me), is not noticeable, but if you depend on reading the turntable pitch scale value, you may be caught off guard because it often does not match expectations exactly.

This has been a problem even with DVS - it just seems like VirtualDJ has a little trouble settling on the "right" value, both visually (the BPM readout on the skin) and internally for what speed the track is played at. It's not terrible - you can easily work with it once you understand it (as you can see I can get it to match for a few minutes well), but I really wish they could improve this.
    This is most likely only a problem with Phase usage and DVS, where the speed has to be determined by measurement of some characteristic of the player/medium that isn't a direct indication of the tempo but the tempo can eventually be deduced from it. Controllers that provide the BPM value directly via the pitch slider probably do not have this issue (I've never seen this with my DDJ 1000).

I'm using Early Access build 8267 here, but every version I've used since the one that reports the drift fix pretty much behaved the same.

Posted 7 days ago @ 10:24 pm
Solarius wrote :
v2024-m b8208

b8267*

Copied the wrong one.

Posted 7 days ago @ 8:13 am
Hopefully the dev's can do an easy fix for some of these things.

Posted 7 days ago @ 12:49 pm