Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best Controller for VDJ - Page: 1
Hi Guys

Currently running VDJ with my Numark NS6II which I love, but I believe I may have a hardware issue and they discontinued so I may have to unfortunately look into upgrading.

Something along the same size (4 channel) would be great. What are you guys using these days that has been tried and tested with VDJ?

Thanks and Happy Giggin!

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:00 pm
Pioneer FLx 10 is probably best of the best
or the Rane Four

of course there are expensive controllers but you didn't mention a budget

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:09 pm
Budget isn't a concern. More so worried about compatibility and stability

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:12 pm
well give it a little time i am sure you will end up with a ton of recommendations everyone has an opinion on this subject so take them for what they are worth :-)

Posted Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 4:13 pm
I was thinking of going with the Pioneer DDJ 1000. I know it's discontinued but everybody I talk to loves that controller

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 1:22 pm
vasili55 wrote :
I was thinking of going with the Pioneer DDJ 1000. I know it's discontinued but everybody I talk to loves that controller

They hate the loop functions. It's a very bad design. If you like loops you will hate the 1000.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 12:06 am
Take a look at the denon prime 4

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 1:05 am
The Denon Prime 4 is great, but it's designed for standalone use.

If vasili55 no longer wants to DJ from a computer then yes it's a great choice, but overkill if he just needs a controller.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:15 am
I have a couple of Denon MCX8000 which are perfect for mobile use with the built in hot swap standalone but are considered old nowadays.

If I were looking for a new one today it would probably be the Pioneer FLX10.

Denon gear ain't what it used to be unfortunately.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:22 am
burnyabad wrote :
vasili55 wrote :

They hate the loop functions. It's a very bad design. If you like loops you will hate the 1000.

Who is they? What don't they like about them?

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 2:40 pm
vasili55 wrote :
burnyabad wrote :
vasili55 wrote :

Who is they? What don't they like about them?

Pioneer forums, majority of users hate the loop function.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 6:38 pm
DJMBR01PRO InfinityMember since 2015
burnyabad wrote :
vasili55 wrote :

That has not been my experience. YMMV.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:24 pm
I loved my NS6ii too, had to switched it out and went with the DDJ - SR2 which is also a very simple controller. In many ways is a lot like the NS 6. Give it a look. Tempted to check out the Flex 10 though, just not sure I will be using all those bells and whistles, or my MAC is powerful enough.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 11:44 pm
Just a thought, Why not just stick with what you know and get a 2nd hand NS6II?. I know if my NS7III died I'd get the same controller again.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 23 @ 6:27 am
After 47 years DJing, I’m in semi-retirement. I recently got to thinking my Controllers are getting a little old (like me, 72 years old last week 😳). So, looking to the future, 3 weeks ago I bought the Numark Mixstream Pro Go standalone (the new battery version), it's very versatile. Of course, it works well with VirtualDJ which is the way I'll be using it as I have invested nearly 20 years in VDJ. Also, using VDJ means I can use stems on it now! 😳 I will obviously learn Engine DJ which runs natively on the unit, only for backup though. When I get comfortable using VDJ with it, I will probably sell my Denon Controllers.

I covered a new local bar gig on Saturday. I used my Denon MC7000 as I haven't had enough time with the Mixstream yet. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks, maybe using the Mixstream. 😊

My Systems Specs;
M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Ventura 13.5.1, VirtualDJ EA v2023-m b7617.

External WD Passport Ultra 2tb HD formatted ExFat containing Music & Video databases.

Controllers - Denon MC7000, Denon MC6000 Mk2.
***New addition*** Numark Mixstream Pro Go, engine dj 3.2.0

DigitalDJ Tips Mixstream review

There's been a few updates to engine dj since this review. Among other new features it now has a daylight mode (it always did using VDJ😊).

Posted Tue 29 Aug 23 @ 8:13 am
MrDjLinton wrote :
Just a thought, Why not just stick with what you know and get a 2nd hand NS6II?. I know if my NS7III died I'd get the same controller again.

The board is discontinued and there's very slim pickins of used ones around. Most are pretty banged up. I'd love to stay with my board.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 23 @ 1:27 pm
Is the DDJ-SX3 still a solid board for used?

Posted Tue 29 Aug 23 @ 3:56 pm
vasili55 wrote :
Is the DDJ-SX3 still a solid board for used?

The sx3 was not as popular. It had some strange configuration( don't have details) The ddj-rx was superior. I use the ddj-rr and ddj rz for my gigs still to this day, love them both.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 1:02 am
groovindj wrote :
The Denon Prime 4 is great, but it's designed for standalone use.

If vasili55 no longer wants to DJ from a computer then yes it's a great choice, but overkill if he just needs a controller.

It's a stand alone and it also works extremely well with VDJ. It probably works better with VDJ than engine os

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 1:59 am
djles.co.uk wrote :
I bought the Numark Mixstream Pro Go standalone (the new battery version)

@Les, what is your battery life.. (when using speakers, volume up, and display near full brightness)?

very interesting rig..
and could go all the way with battery powered speakers and Xvive U3 2.4GHz wireless transmitters connecting them. (for a totally remote setup)

Posted Wed 30 Aug 23 @ 2:14 am
63%