Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DJ Interface 2 & Virtual DJ
wilbergPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Using VDJ for many years now and still very happy.
Now I want to try a new setup, using DVS / Timecode Vinyl, 2 Technics SL1200 MK2 an analog mixer (Dateq LPM 7.2) and an (audio interface.
I asked the same question at the Dutch Forum, but no one had an answer.

I am recommended to buy a Pioneer DJ Interface 2.
https://www.pioneerdj.com/nl-nl/product/software/interface-2/audio-interface/overview/
But it looks only to be Rekordbox proof....
I contacted Pioneer and they can't tell me if it will do it's job using VDJ as my DJ software.
Of course Pioneer recommend to use Rekordbox.

Anyone here can tell me if this Pioneer DJ (audio) interface 2 will do it's work using VDJ in a DVS setup? Or do I have to buy an other interface?

Posted Thu 08 Jun 23 @ 6:52 pm
In theory it should work, as long as it's seen as a 4in/4out sound interface by the OS.

If you are not absolutely tied to Pioneer products, then a good (better IMHO) alternative would be Reloop FLUX.
It's 6in/6out, and fully supported (plug & play) with VirtualDJ. Also it offers some extra -nice to have- features for modern laptops like Power Delivery through it's USB C connection, and a direct "thru" mode..

Posted Fri 09 Jun 23 @ 7:59 am

Posted Tue 13 Jun 23 @ 11:31 am
Bought myself a Reloop Flux, connected it. Ready to go.
No problems at all.
Thankx for the advice.

Posted Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 5:38 am

Posted Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 5:38 am
wilberg wrote :
No problems at all.
Thankx for the advice.

Good to hear!
Yes, the new Reloop Flux really addressed a hole in the market after the Denon one and all the Rane ones were discontinued
Thanks for the demo

Posted Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 10:35 am
Hello, I am one who has DJ with just the djio and a laptop . Now I want to go dvs so I purchased an S5 mixer and two audio technica turntables. , taken a less expensive route to this new experience, however with all my audio settings in order, when it came down to time code calibration , only one deck was recognized. If anyone could give me some trouble shooting points to consider.id appreciate it.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:54 am
Your starting point is always the VirtualDJ hardware manual for your hardware (to see if it is supported or not, and to see the routing setup). The Pioneer DJM S5 is supported by VirtualDJ and the hardware manual is here: https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/djms5/setup.html

At the very bottom, you'll see the audio configuration VirtualDJ does for it when it detects the device (and you select it as your Audio Ouput when VirtualDJ prompts you about it)...compare that to the audio configuration you have right now. If the configuration does not match, it could explain the problem.

Another thing to note, Pioneer DJM S models, they have a setting utility app that controls things like the line/phono level switching (https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/support/software/mixer/djm-s5/). Make sure you install that and have the inputs set to phono if you are using timecode records (you'll switch it to line if you are using phase).

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 1:03 pm
Thanks for your response. And that's whats so peculiar about this is that both the mixer and vdj software are mirror images of that of the software support links. although I did push the time code's input numbers that otherwise did not show up in the drop down.,Still I get the time code tones on one turntable and not the other.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 2:18 pm
Given your audio setup is the same as in the manual, when you go to the timecode tab, is it that you don't see the scopes on one when you press play?

This probably indicates a problem with the incoming signal on the deck of iasue - The channel of the DJM S5 is set to line in the settings utility (so preamp is not being used for that deck), the RCA cables are not connect properly between the deck and the DJM S5, the RCA cable is bad (unlikely if the cable is new...do a swap with the other good deck to confirm), the needle/tonearm (unlikely if you confirmed it's a good deck) is bad, the RCA input jacks on the DJM S5 is bad (very unlikely).

If the timecode tab doesn't show, then your audio settings are incorrect.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 2:40 pm
I'm getting a time code tone on both turntables in the time code settings, but when I calibrate I get no signal

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:24 pm
Also, where is the Timecode panels located. I have the latest vdj 2023 and I'm not aware of a Pro Layout in order to turn the Timecode on.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 8:38 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 9:02 pm
Eureka! On the s5 mixer on the top panel I switch from phono/line to computer and I could see the calibration in progress in the Timecode settings.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 9:04 pm
user17847165 wrote :
Eureka! On the s5 mixer on the top panel I switch from phono/line to computer and I could see the calibration in progress in the Timecode settings.

Glad to hear you resolved it. Just to reiterate, this was the first thing that was mentioned to check earlier (when it is on line-in, the preamp isn't engaged, so if you sre using vinyl, the signal strength will be probably be too low coming in). Normally with the DJM S series mixers that setting is in the Settings utility...I didn't know the S5 had it on the mixer itself.

Remember to change it back to line-in if you use CDJs or phase (they don't need the preamp boost).

Posted Mon 28 Aug 23 @ 9:20 pm
wilberg wrote :
No problems at all.
Thankx for the advice.

That is certainly the way to go

But if you are somehow stuck with a Rekordbox Interface 2, it CAN indeed work with a bit of fiddlin:

Posted Tue 26 Dec 23 @ 4:32 pm