Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: BPM Edit First Beat
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
I am having a few files where the first beat is at the wrong position, when I go to "BPM Editor" to move the first beat marker, it is not there to adjust. If I go to POI Editor the "First Beat" Point is there but if I double click it, it doesn't go to it. If I edit the "First Beat" marker I see it is of type "BeatGridAnchor" with Cue set to "Invisible", if I change it to "Marker Only" I still can't see it, however, if I change it to "Cue 1", altho I still can't see it, the Cue button on my skin shows the value "00:-01".

This has only happened twice recently so far, once before the latest update (build 5186), once afterwards (build 5281).

Posted Mon 16 Sep 19 @ 4:19 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Best would be to use BPM Editor to adjust the FirstBeat, because in POI Editor it may be near other POIs so harder to grab and adjust.
I cant get any track here in BPM Editor without the FirstBeat visible. Are you use the large waveform is zoomed to the correct area ?
Any screenshot would help.

Posted Mon 16 Sep 19 @ 6:01 pm
If the BPM has been scanned correctly and all you want to do is move the first beat marker on your beat grid, the easiest method i have found is the following.

Load the track up on any deck, then using the jog wheel move the position of the track to where you want the first beat anchor of the bet grid to go, then on the deck itself just left click once on the "Tap" button. That should move the first beat grids to where the track marker is and will save it for future use.

I have been using this method for years for every new track that gets scanned should it need adjustment. Let me know how you get on.

Mel

Posted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 8:20 am
djdad wrote :
Best would be to use BPM Editor to adjust the FirstBeat, because in POI Editor it may be near other POIs so harder to grab and adjust.
I cant get any track here in BPM Editor without the FirstBeat visible. Are you use the large waveform is zoomed to the correct area ?
Any screenshot would help.

I doesn't matter what editor I use, the FirstBeat is before the track begins, I can't move to it, or grab it because the waveform is only show from 0:00 onwards, if the FirstBeat is before 0:00 then I have not found anyway of being able to grab it, scroll to it or do anything else that would make it appear on the waveform to be able to edit it.

Posted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 12:47 pm
Mr DJ Mel wrote :
If the BPM has been scanned correctly and all you want to do is move the first beat marker on your beat grid, the easiest method i have found is the following.

Load the track up on any deck, then using the jog wheel move the position of the track to where you want the first beat anchor of the bet grid to go, then on the deck itself just left click once on the "Tap" button. That should move the first beat grids to where the track marker is and will save it for future use.

I have been using this method for years for every new track that gets scanned should it need adjustment. Let me know how you get on.

Mel

Hi Mel
Thanks I will try that and see if it works for me.

Posted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 12:47 pm
djkrysr wrote :
FirstBeat is before the track begins

How can it be? The track doesn't exist before that point. The marker can't be outside of the audio data.

Admittedly I am aware that sometimes it's not possible to see a red line in the editor. That has been happening since VDJ 8 was first released. IMO the play marker, first beat marker etc should use some other type of indication rather than just a very thin line.

Posted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 4:37 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
djkrysr wrote :
I doesn't matter what editor I use, the FirstBeat is before the track begins, I can't move to it, or grab it because the waveform is only show from 0:00 onwards, if the FirstBeat is before 0:00 then I have not found anyway of being able to grab it, scroll to it or do anything else that would make it appear on the waveform to be able to edit it.

I dont see how the FirstBeat can be before 0:00 (perhaps you can try to re-analyze), but even if a bit earlier, the BPM Editor gives you some time/area (couple of beats) before that. All you need to do is grab the highlighted area from the top small waveform and then move it a bit to the left to get the extra dark-blue area you see in the pic below.
Still not there ??

If you still have troubles with the First Beat and BPM Editor, perhaps send us a track to reproduce here

Posted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 5:22 pm
HI guys
Maybe you missed the point I made in my very first post, If I edit the Firstbeat POI and change it to type to "CUE1" in the POI Editor, the value of cue 1 becomes "00:-01", please note the MINUS sign, I noticed this because I have my cues set to display the time of the cue on my skin.

"00:-01" would appear to be a MINUS value (atho it could be somewhere else not visible in the waveform). I agree that no cue should appear before the start of the track, but since this is a computer program and not a physical object I think the Cue or any other POI "could" technically be ANY value, however it "shouldn't" be, which is why i posted in the "bugs" section.

The next time this happens I will take screen shots, but please believe me I spent over 10 minutes zooming in, pulling the track to the right to get as far left on the waveform as possible,, re-analyzing etc and the FirstBeat marker wasn't visible, it was at "00:-01" which wasn't showing on the waveform in the POI or BPM Editors.

Posted Fri 20 Sep 19 @ 8:25 pm
Hi
Since there has been no reply and a whole new version of VirtualDJ is now out, I tracked down the original backup of one of the files I had problems with, and the issue is still present. It must be something to do with the file itself, but I don't know what, anyway here are some screenshots.

This is the BPM Editor for the file, the anchor is not visible, I can not view it by dragging the waveform left or right, the view you see is maximum zoomed out.

I then went to the POI editor, and selected "Firstbeat" and changed it to "Cue 1", with cues set to display the time of the cue, you can see that the cue is set to 00:-01, this part of the waveform is not displayed, you cannot drag the waveform to see this position.

I have this file unaltered and not working if anyone from Atomix wants to inspect it to find out the problem. The couple of files I have had this problem with are from professional DJ services.

Posted Fri 18 Oct 19 @ 4:57 pm
I have a similar question, ie. how to move the "start of the track" to the first beat-marker ?

some songs I have, has a fraction-of-a-second silence, before the first beat.
I don't want to waste a CUE-point, when I can hope, to have VDJ start the playing, from the first 'beat marker'.

is there a way, to change this "start of the track", to where I want it to ?

Posted Sun 20 Sep 20 @ 5:09 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can add a 'Load Point' POI and leave the cue point number blank so it doesn't take up a cue point.

Posted Sun 20 Sep 20 @ 5:20 pm
Adion wrote :
You can add a 'Load Point' POI and leave the cue point number blank so it doesn't take up a cue point.

I don't understand this solution, because this is not what I was after.

I have a music file.
VDJ's 1st-anchor, is 0.5-seconds _before_ any sound starts.
Also, this location of the VDJ 1st-anchor is because of where all of the other beat markers for the track are (based on VDJ beat detection).

The thing is, the beat markers (those small squares) do not correspond to the percussion / beat of the track.
That's fine.
It's not an issue for me, for now...because I have noticed this with many songs,
where sometimes the beat markers are different to where the actual beats/melody is
( but not a 'big deal'....or should it be? maybe I should shift the beat-marker? )

The main thing I was after, was I thought I could shift that "1st anchor" only,
so that VDJ would play the song when I press play,
from the location where I want the song to start....not where VDJ thinks it should start, relative to the beat-anchors.

Sometimes songs have a silence or non-meaningful sound, that I want VDJ to start playing from a different point, when i press 'Play'.

Posted Thu 24 Sep 20 @ 10:35 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The load point poi is where vdj will jump to first when loading the song and thus where playback will start when pressing play so that does sound like what you want.

If the bpm detection is wrong you can also move the grid using bpm editor. (it should be quite rare though that this is needed)

Posted Fri 25 Sep 20 @ 5:26 am
I revisit this thread, because I have trouble (again)
setting a specific part of the song, to be the first beat.

VDJ assigns "BeatGrid Anchor" to a beginning part of the song,
which either has no audible sound, or is not really a 'beat'.

Anyway, how to change the "BeatGrid Anchor" ?

I tried via the 'POI Editor",
choose:
Name: Beat Anchor
Type: BeatGrid Anchor
Cue: Invisible

but doing this, does not change it :-\

Posted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 9:22 am
djkrysr wrote :

Try using BPM Editor pictured here :-)

Posted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 11:44 am
wickedmix wrote :

Try using BPM Editor pictured here :-)

That does not set the BeatGrid ANCHOR of the first beat to where I want it to start from, if I press "Play".

Example:
I load this song.
Song has sound from 0.0 seconds,
but beat drops from 2 seconds into the track.

When I press the PAUSE-STOP button, multiple times,
the small blue-marker in VDJ moves between 2 x points only,
ie.
1) some seconds BEFORE the first sound
2) from the point where the sound starts (which is half-way between beat-markers).

The actual beat is from the "2nd marker",
but the 1st marker has some inaudible sound to start with,
and which gets louder until the beat drops.

I just want to adjust the "BeatGrid Anchor" to where the first beat drops.

PS:
That BPM Editor could also use some 'tool tips'.
I did not know what the buttons meant,
and by pressing them, I messed up the beat-marker spacings of the songs.

Posted Thu 01 Jul 21 @ 9:19 am
First of all:
The "stop" action (stop button) does NOT jump on the first beat.
On first press it stops the track if playing and goes back to the last used cue point.
Then on sub sequential presses it goes on the beginning of the song (where VirtualDJ detects sound) and then cycles between the rest cue points.

If you want to go to the first beat you should either use "goto_first_beat" action or "goto 0"

With that out of the way, you can use the BPM Editor to drag the first beat (it's a RED marker) anywhere you want. You can also use the arrow buttons on the bottom right to move the marker by one beat at the time.

Finally, take a read on this:
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/editors/bpmeditor.html

Posted Thu 01 Jul 21 @ 9:48 am