Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Allen and Heath DB2 and VDJ8 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,

I have exhausted all of my ideas.

I have a lovely new mixer that I want to use with VDJ but it seems I can't.
I have the latest Asio drivers from A&H for my 64bit machine. I have installed and un-installed them a number of times.
I have also taken all the other Asio drivers of my machine in case of conflicts.

The issue is this as soon as assign the ASIO drivers to the outputs everything stops working. The decks lock up and no other functions work.

If I then open the config setting and swap the ASIO driver over to a American Audio (VMS4) driver it works fine or to a Denon driver it all works as well. it works as soon as I hit apply.
I know I have seen this happen before but I can't think how to overcome the problem.
Any help would be great

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 2:52 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You mentioned uninstalling all other ASIO drivers.
Yet, you are saying if you swap to another ASIO driver it works.

So, how many and what ASIO drivers are currently installed on your system?

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 3:16 pm
Hi,

I did have 3 but I unistalled the other 2 and still had the same problem.

I then put them back on as I still use my other equipment and they work fine.

I have looked at some other threads and I can find a reference to the Allen and Heath ASIO being to high a frequency for VDJ.

Is this correct as it is showing 44100HZ. DO I need to adjust some settings outside of VDJ?

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 3:35 pm
By the way you cannot alter the Alan and heath ASIO driver it has no associated program.

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 3:43 pm
I suspect that you may have to use the 32 bit driver, as VDJ is 32 bit.

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 6:21 pm
So not going to re-install windows. Cant add the Allen and heath 32 bit driver as it detects it is a 64 bit machine.

Really disappointing that I may have to go away from a paid for piece of software to another to get the thing to work. Surely at this time there w=must be a work around?

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 7:57 pm
RichardMa wrote :
it detects it is a 64 bit machine.

Ah, can't be that then. It was just a theory. There is at least one post on this forum (from 2012) talking about using a DB2 with VDJ, so it is possible.

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 8:13 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
64 bit ASIO drivers are indeed not supported. But as far as i can see Allen & Heath offers 32bit ASIO drivers as well. Do you get some warning message that you cant bypass when trying to install 32bit drivers on a 64bit OS ?
If there is still an issue with the 32bit ASIO drivers, please use the latest Beta build 2483

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 11:59 pm
Unfortunately it won't let me load the 32 bit driver as it detects that the operating system is 64bit.

I tried everything I could think of again last night and didn't get anywhere.

Anymore suggestions before I try other software? I have a gig saturday so need it up and running before then!

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 9:13 am
Microsoft (knowledge base) says:

If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes. All hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.

So if VDJ can't work with 64 bit drivers then there's a problem here.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 5:00 pm
Unfortunately unless someone can come up with answer this seems to be the case. A bit disappointing especially as all I wanted to do was use it as a sound card and not for any Midi control. Should have been easy you would think

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 9:18 am
ASIO drivers are not "real" drivers. They don't appear on Device Manager for instance.
We call them "drivers" but they are a low level layer of communication between a program and a device by using the "standard" Windows drivers and by-passing some layers in order to achieve lower latency.

That being said, ALL Pioneer ASIO drivers for example are 32-bit but they still work perfectly on 64-bit OS.
The majority of our user base currently uses 64 bit OS and no-one has issues with 32 bit ASIO drivers.

@RichardMa:
Please download the 32-bit drivers package from A&H support website:
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonedb2/#tab5
http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonedb2/?download=4284

Try to install that package and then try again.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 10:48 am
thanks for your help but I have already tried to do that and the 32bit driver won't install on my machine as it detects it is a 64bit operating system. There is no other message it just says it can't install and that I should use the 64bit driver.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 12:32 pm
It's a pity you can't give it a go as you need the device (a A&H mixer) to run the install program. Unless someone out there does have one and can try it out for me? Here's hoping!

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 12:39 pm
What is the exact message you get?
And did you try to download the driver with another browser?
Or any chance you are using some kind of download manager?

Maybe try to install the driver as administrator.

And you can try this aswell:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

BTW: What Windows version are you using?

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 2:00 pm
No the install program won't let me do anything with the driver. Not sure why a different browser would make any difference to the install process? I also have the CD for the mixer with both drivers on it so I am not even doing that and yes I have checked the issue level before you ask.
I am still on Windows 7

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 3:14 pm
The CD might be dirty or your CD drive is not able to read the content properly.

A different browser eliminates (or at least reduces) the possibility of a defect download.
Browser security settings could also lead to problems if they are too strict.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 3:46 pm
No your going down the wrong alley here. I have tried the CD and downloaded the files there is no difference in the outcome. I know it works with other DJ software as well now so it is definitely a Virtual DJ and ASIO driver conflict.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 3:57 pm
RichardMa wrote :

The issue is this as soon as assign the ASIO drivers to the outputs everything stops working. The decks lock up and no other functions work.

Ok, back to the beginning.
So, you DO get the ASIO drivers to appear on your system!
If that's the case and the drivers "don't work" that's a completely different issue and most likely it has a very simple solution.
Please, bring your system up to the state that you CAN select the ASIO drivers on VirtualDj 8 sound config.
Then, (even if it's not working) restart VirtualDj and let us know if you get a toast message with an error (Like "Failed to initialize ASIO driver")

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 5:12 pm
He has the 64 bit driver installed, because the A&H package will not permit him to install the 32 bit driver on his 64 bit system.

DJDad has stated that 64 bit drivers are not supported.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 6:50 pm
77%