Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ Refussing to use Nvidia card................... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Ok I have all my video related programs to use my Nvidia card,

Heres a pic from the Nvidia control panel showing VDJ is supposed to run on the graphics card

Heres an image showing VDJ has the Nvidia card selected as the default card,

Yet when I launch VDJ and open the video tab, look what VDJ says its using,

Is this some sort of bug and how do I find out what card VDJ is really using??

Posted Sat 03 Oct 15 @ 9:24 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When I change it from the nVidia control panel and restart vdj the drivername shown in vdj changes as well.
Another way to check is to check 'Desktop->Display GPU activity icon' in the nVidia control panel, then click the icon in the system tray and see if it shows virtualdj.

Finally, you should be able to tell by the performance difference. (Although that will depend on your cpu, for me the Intel HD4600 of my core i7 is fast enough for video so I don't even need to use the nvidia for virtualdj)

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 3:25 am
Ok so I added the icon and checked it and yes it says VDJ is using the Nvidia card but VDJ says it isn't,

And I changed the memory to "Automatic" and when I reopened it it says "Automatic (24)". The reason I want the Nvidia card to be used is because it has 2 gigs of its own ram and I always thought it would be better to use that then use the Intel card and share the system ram??

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 4:46 am
Of course the performance of the nVidia will be better, and if the task bar icon says it's using it then vdj is indeed using it.
You could check for an update on the intel graphics driver, it's possible that that influences the name you see in vdj.

Unless you need 60Hz output, use gpu-heavy video effects or have a relatively old generation cpu, chances are that the on-board gpu is already fast enough to keep a constant 30 fps mixing full hd video's.

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 5:50 am
I use Resolume at the same time as VDJ. I use a Spout plugin that feeds VDJ into Resolume and then out to 3 different projectors for video mapping. So I need all the power I can get, lol!!

Or if not video mapping I can use another Spout plugin that feeds Resolume into VDJ and I use that for added visuals and its fx's.

Im sitting here now and running both with no hardware hooked up the task manager says Im running around 800-1000mb which seems high but 2 video programs running Id except that I guess. Its when Im only running VDJ and Im at 2000mb do I think something is wrong. I have a feeling that its something to do with the video I uploaded to you but as of right now things are working fine.

Ill check the Intel drivers and go from there.

Thanks for the time!!

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 5:59 am
Ok well I just updated the Intel graphics card driver and VDJ still says Im using the Intel card but in the Nvidia desktop thing shows VDJ is using it.

Ok so my next question is, is VDJ using the system ram or the Nvidia cards ram because it has a 2 gig card but VDJ says "Automatic (24)"??

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 3:40 pm
If the nVidia is used it should go into video memory.
The detection of the amount of memory is currently not perfect yet for systems that switch between internal and discrete gpu, however that should practically not be much of a problem.

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 4:23 pm
Word!! Thanks for the time, info and help

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 4:25 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Try the FPS plugin on master. It'll shiw you how much RAM is really used and what video card.
If VDJ still refuses to take the stronger card set videoForceFullscreen to 1

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 5:59 pm
Ok heres a screen shot of the FPS plugin in action, not sure how to read it so maybe you guys can tell me??

Hopefully you can read it.

And setting it to 1 still shows as if the Intel card is being used from within VDJ.

Posted Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 6:38 pm
It doesn't show which card is actually used, it just queries OpenGL/DirectDraw/DXGI for information about the system, so it's not of more help there.

Unless you absolutely need it to fix a problem, I would not recommend setting videoFullScreen to 1 btw.

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 3:37 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Do you use the last version of my FPS plugin for virtualdj 8? Are you in hdmi or vga for the video output? Windows 10?

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 8:32 pm
I downloaded the version in the VDJ 8 download section.

Output is ThunderBolt port to HDMI and I'm running Windows 8.1

Windows 10 isn't officially supported so why would I download it??

Posted Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 8:57 pm
@Beatbreaker, I have exactly the same problem with my Dell Precision M6600, I7, Windows 7/64, Nvidia Quadro 4000M and Intel HD graphics: Nvidia control says it is being used but VDJ8 says Intel HD. Since this is my gig laptop, I just disabled the Nvidia's Optimus Technology (responsible for automatic switching between internal and discrete video driver) in the BIOS Video tab so that it will always use the Nvidia (disabling the internal Intel HD; of course, sacrificing power draw but I'm always on AC anyways when in use).

But here's the curved ball: I also have a second exactly the same laptop, same OS, same video drivers, and it works the way it is suppose to, i.e., VDJ8 recognizing NVidia Quadro 4000M, without disabling Nvidia's Optimus.

Ha! I had spent days chasing the problem, comparing the settings of the two, trying to understand the root cause but to no avail. If this thread offers an explanation, it will be damn interesting.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 4:13 am
Yeah it would be nice to see VDJ say Nvidia but I guess as long as it says it's using it in the panel I have to take it's word for it because the rest of what your saying is above my pay grade, lol!!

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 4:20 pm
Not sure what you did in this lastest update but its showing as VDJ is using the Nvidia card,

the RAM is still not correct.........Also having a lot of errors with video crashing with this update. A few reports should have been set if someone could check them and tell me what went wrong.

Also I can reproduce an error with opening the video window opening up.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 5:55 pm
There is one crash report on the server for the latest build.

I'm sure one of the Devs will look into it.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 8:33 pm
I'd recommend putting videoForceFullscreen back to 0

I'm not sure about the crash, did you undock any effect windows?

Posted Mon 12 Oct 15 @ 5:57 am
Yeah I switched it back again to see if I could reproduce this error I was getting.

As for the crash yes I think it was VFilter I was undocking.

Thanks for the time.

P.S.
The echo is better but still needs to fade longer......

Posted Mon 12 Oct 15 @ 12:47 pm
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I posted a long time ago about this. In my Sony Vaio (i7/NVidia 735M/Intel 4000) and it shows the Intel in VDJ,

Posted Mon 12 Oct 15 @ 3:32 pm
95%