Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Program apparently clashes with video cards? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've had VDJ8 running on my desktop (6 core AMD Phenom) for 3 or 4 months now, with no problems that I can't live with. It'll crash if I leave it on overnight, crash when downloading cover-art occasionally, secondary windows like the setup menu or POI editor stop functioning... That sort of thing...

However, the other night, I decided it might be time to install the program on my laptop (AMD Turion X2/Nvidia Geforce), and build a serious mobile setup. Well, I found that the program would load and was initially functional, ...although all I could see was a big black square, if I clicked in the right places, it would still function normally. However, a couple of minutes of that, and it would lock down and eventually crash. I tried this numerous times, while tweaking everything I could think of, without any better results.

Not being the kind to easily give up, just for sport I installed on two other computers, a dual core AMD Athlon, and an HP with an Intel processor. No better luck though, as the response on every machine was identical.

I really need to get this working on my laptop, so I'd appreciate some help with this, or just point me in the right direction if there is already a thread explaining how to deal with this issue.

Thanks

Posted Tue 10 Mar 15 @ 10:08 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Can't say this is something I have heard of before. I'd check your video card drivers are up to date and if they are then I'd recommend you contact support by chat or phone.

Posted Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 6:42 pm
A couple of other people have reported the skin only showing on part of the screen (the rest being black). Pretty extraordinary for the exact same thing to happen on three different computers owned by one person though....

The first computer crashing if left on overnight - was it doing anything during that time? Windows updates, virus scan, any scheduled tasks?

Are all these computers running the same operating system? What are the screen resolutions, and are the graphics running at the correct (i.e. same) resolutions as the screens?

Posted Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 7:26 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Can't say this is something I have heard of before. I'd check your video card drivers are up to date

Everything is fresh on the laptop. I just did a brand new install of Win7 with all the latest drivers. I was forced to, because NI didn't offer a Vista driver for my Audio 10 soundcard. It's a little old I guess, (the laptop) but it was the most advanced one available when I bought it, and it's still no slouch with it's dual core processor. The graphics are exceptional. It will run V7 with no issues. (as will all others I tried) However, I really don't like V7, and I can't seem to get my audio setup to work with it, either...

What I'm seeing, is when the program comes up, the whole VDJ window is just black... If you click in the right places, it works (initially). But eventually, the application just locks down. I don't know if this helps... but sometimes the default skin will come up black... other times it looks normal. Although, it will still begin to show artifacts very quickly, and then crash. The Fruit skin I've been using, always comes up black.

SBDJ wrote :
and if they are then I'd recommend you contact support by chat or phone.

(?) You have other kinds of support? Where is this info located?

Posted Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 7:50 pm
Where it has always been: On top right of the navigation pane
http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/index.html
After you ask your question you get 3 options:
To raise a ticket, do a phone call, or chat with a support agent on line

Posted Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 8:14 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Where it has always been: On top right of the navigation pane
http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/index.html
After you ask your question you get 3 options:
To raise a ticket, do a phone call, or chat with a support agent on line

Ah, but you see I haven't been around here for a long time, so things are a little unfamiliar. Plus, I've never needed to access that area. Thanks for the info.

Posted Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 11:30 pm
NP :)

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 2:10 am
It does sound like it would be video driver related - what video card(s) does the machine have, and do you happen to know the driver version installed?

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 4:32 am
The card is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
Driver date: 5/8/2009 Version: 7.15.11.7988
CPU is: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-50 1.6 GHz
Ram: 2 GB
Operating System: Win 7 Premium 32 bit

I double checked, and verified that this is the latest driver. However, as I say, this same problem manifests on two other desktop computers. I'm not sure what's in the HP, but the AMD Athlon has a high-end Matrox card.

I have never experienced any problems like this on my AMD phenom machine...

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 11:43 am
Okay Scott... I've tried both the phone, and the chat. And apparently everyone's on vacation this week, or maybe they just don't want to talk to me. Whatever the reason, I've had no contact.., so they've been no help at all, so far.

I am now running a beta driver, but there is still no change in the program's behavior. I'm beginning to think that this is a bug in VDJ8. I have never had any problems whatsoever with any other software on this machine, and that includes 3D games and VDJ v.7.

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 9:57 pm
I'm not a video expert guy, but can you try to re install Direct X ? (Download and run the full (off-line) installer from MS website, don't use on-line check)
It seems that it had helped on a few strange cases we had.

As for chat/tel support, the lines are usually very busy and a waiting time is involved. Also they are closed on weekends :)

Posted Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 5:43 am
Okay, thanks for trying to assist, as I do appreciate it. But I had already tried that tactic (per instructions I found on a gaming site), and of course it didn't help. In fact NOTHING I've done, seems to make any difference at all...

Regarding the phone/chat help lines: I tried to contact your people by phone, well before closing time on Friday. The status indicator showed the lines to be available, yet no one would answer. As for the chat lines, They showed to be open also, and I tried them twice around 4 - 4:30 EST, and still have not received a reply. According to the webpage, they are open all week, 2:00 AM til 10:00 PM EST.

Posted Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 11:54 am
richmond if you aren't using the laptop for anything but djing you might try and do a factory restore on The OS then update all the drivers and such and try again maybe something is on there that conflicts u just never know.

my laptop wouldn't run it either come to find out i had a old video driver you may try http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html
occasional it finds stuff that u couldn't manually, just makes sure to do the system backups in case something goes funky..

Posted Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 12:47 pm
@WickedMix: Hey buddy, I appreciate the effort, but I've already done all that. I'm just dead in the water here, until I can get some expert help.

Posted Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 1:02 pm
I checked, and all the computers that I tried are running NVIDIA GeForce cards. The laptop is a 7600, and the other two are 6800s. That is probably why they all have the same problem with V8.

Regardless, it is the laptop that I need to pair it with, and it's impossible to change the laptop card to another brand.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 8:51 pm
Most of the users and most of the team as well use nVidia GeForce GPU's.
So, the brand or the GPU chipset is not the issue.
You are using an AMD processor though... Perhaps that's a place that needs some attention (from you and the team) since the vast majority of users (and team) uses Intel. I don't know if it makes ANY difference (AMD vs Intel) but it worths mention.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 6:43 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I don't know if it makes ANY difference (AMD vs Intel) but it worths mention.

I don't know either. I'm just grasping at straws here. However, it's worth noting that my AMD Phenom II machine performs flawlessly in that regard, and it has an ATI Radion video card. Also, there is definitely an issue with V8, as it is the only program I'm having issues with, on any of the computers.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 4:07 pm
not sure its the cpu my laptop a HP has

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD A-6-342M APU
AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics
4gb ram

seems to be working fine ... maybe its the combo of amd cpu and nvidia graphics?

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 6:15 pm

Posted Tue 17 Mar 15 @ 12:02 pm
There is no known issue with the combinations you have; I've tested personally:

* Intel CPU + AMD graphics
* Intel CPU + nVidia graphics
* Intel CPU + Intel graphics
* AMD CPU + AMD graphics
* AMD CPU + nVidia graphics

All combinations worked. If they aren't working for you then there must be something particular about your setup that is causing difficulty.

Unfortunately I don't have anything as low as a GeForce Go 7600 to test on - the Go 7600 is an extremely low end card. It's passmark score is just 130. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything of a similar generation to test with.

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 9:00 am
69%