Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: My Name In Lights - TEXT3D - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So I have looked through some previous posts and found some entries about Firetext and Pangolin plugins. And, I have used Pangolin Text2Screen.

In my 20+ years of experience, one thing that is common in club audiences, is guests *love*love*love* to see their name in lights. As a VJ, I am wanting to know if there are any new methods, tools, i.e. Plugins, that makes the chore of taking someone's birthday shoutout request and gets it to the screen in a "decorated" presentation, quickly and with a minimum effort?

Some of us don't have a light Joc who can perform the multi-steps to use Pangolin's or Firetexts Text2Screen or SMS Text2Screen. And while the basic vDJ Text2Screen plugin works, the result is not very impressive as the Text is just a plain font. (The most you can do is color it)

In the simplest form, I am looking for the same vDJ Text2Screen function, but with the ability to automatically decorate the font. A step further would be an "option" to keep announcements sent to the screen in random display rotation.

So @djcel how about an upgraded Text2D plugin ====> TEXT3D ????

Posted Wed 01 Jan 14 @ 8:41 pm
One word... Flash! In the meantime, dream on.

Posted Fri 03 Jan 14 @ 7:54 am
Yea, its only a hope for now. Where are the plugin devs.? no comment if this idea is even doable? The Text 2D plugin seems simple. Seems it would be very doable to at least decorate the text a bit more and add a little animation to make it "Text 3D". :-)

Posted Sun 05 Jan 14 @ 10:06 pm
Of course it's doable... http://www.outerspace-software.com/player.HTML
Accordingly to this strange silence, you should wait a little bit longer, cause if they switch from D3D to OpenGL, there's no point to make anything that will be obsolete very soon. There was a way to connect some flash 3D software with Firetext plugin, but I can't even remember it's name or what happened with it. Hope Tayla could tell you more...

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 4:16 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
That's a very strange and untrue assertion there. It's not a project I have the time to undertake at present so I didn't reply.

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 9:34 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
The system that runs through Firetext is TextMachine3D

And to be honest, unless you are careful with the effects you could overload your screens that will turn your output monitors to a complete mess if you have even the simplest of effects going onto your text, imagine say even 5 or 6 messages scrolling across screen with effects running on them, be like staring at a strobe, if you get what I mean.

@digijoc-Mele why don't you get the free Firetext plugin for your shows, it comes with a free 1000 sms user capability more than enough for your audience on the night to instantly send messages vertically or horizontally to your screens, plus you get all the other freebies that comes with the plugin and no payments to be made to get rid of annoying pop ups.

Posted Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 9:56 am
Thanks. I'll research more.

Posted Tue 07 Jan 14 @ 8:36 pm
Well, I've just received a mail from BluffTitler's dude:

Thank you for your mail.

>Can you make a video plugin for VirtualDJ software

Yes that would be wonderful. Thank you for your feature request!

Don't forget to share your artwork, tips and tricks with other users by posting them to the online user's gallery:
http://www.outerspace-software.com/gallery/index.php

Yours truly,

Michiel den Outer
Outerspace Software

So, no problems on their side. Thanks for calling me a liar, in a decent way...

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 6:20 am
I didn't call you a liar - I was referring to your thoughts that we were moving to OpenGL on the windows platform. It was a rather odd jump that no replies means we are changing APIs...

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 8:12 am
Never mind... there's a few members understanding the difference between D3D and OpenGL. I wasn't even writing about your plugins, never have even seen one...Cheers.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 8:30 am
I wasn't writing about my plugins either.

weirdjay wrote :
Accordingly to this strange silence, you should wait a little bit longer, cause if they switch from D3D to OpenGL, there's no point to make anything that will be obsolete very soon.

I was referring to you making this jump that no replies means we might switch from D3D to OpenGL. It was a strange jump!

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 9:01 am
Not at all, it was just an assumption. As if... you know. None cares about it, anyway. But if they do, I wouldn't spend a whole hour to make my new ultrabook compatible with VDJ... video lagging and stuff. Hope Michiel will make that plugin soon.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 9:14 am
A Blufftitler plugin would be badass and I'd surely pay for that, wouldn't even think twice about it!! Maybe I'll send an email as well.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 9:27 am

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 9:32 am
Done!! And Thanks for getting this ball rolling, hopefully some good comes from it.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 9:48 am
Michiel is obviously welcome to contact me if he needs anything.

Posted Wed 08 Jan 14 @ 11:00 am
Hi guys,

Pangolin's IMU can also work through Text Machine 3D to create 3D messages of various kinds. Aside from that, we're just about to release a new version of Essential Visuals which allows far greater flexibility in the way that text is created, and many more effects. Keep an eye out for it. It should be up there in a few days...

Bill

Posted Fri 07 Mar 14 @ 3:25 am
The point for me redoing the text for EV, was to have some wizbang text. Now initially this is just improved shadows and outlines but that was not even the goal.

digijoc-Mele, you mentioned you wanted to set the text on fire. I looked at it :) It's doable in real time but anything like that is time consuming and time is not something I have a lot of.

I sit here and can imagine a lot of things and in my mind they work ( the whole screen is dancing :). Then I have to snap back to reality unfortunately.

At any rate, just keep the request coming. It's good to know what you are thinking. I am never satisfied and always want to see more as you do.

Posted Fri 07 Mar 14 @ 11:46 am
Thanks for the imagination Don !

Knowing how the mind of a developer works though, I have to tell you that I get nervous when you start talking about the many things you can do. Snapping back to reality is a good thing and that's what program managers do ;-) they keep you grounded. I am not your program manager, but in my opinion, as the DJ, I want something the remains *super* efficient with minimal impact to the machines performance of my main act, which is mixing up a storm. So, saying all that to say that I would be happy with just modest decoration of text that maybe randomizes the effect with each message or every few messages... just enough to keep it interesting vs. a monotone font. It doesn't have to dance or catch fire - LOL.

p.s. example: The Random Video Transition plugin by Scott & Cel is very very useful. Keeps transitions interesting without DJ having to worry about changing the effect.

Posted Mon 10 Mar 14 @ 6:07 pm
I really do know better than to go overboard with things. I might test some things out quickly just so I get a better handle on it and give you or someone else a better answer.

Most of the time I am not working on these plugins and have to do other things. So I get in as much as I can that makes the most sense given a limited amount of time.

The thing is, anything you might think is simple is usually not. Generally speaking everything programming wise takes a lot of time. Not just for me but for anyone. And some just hack thru it and that shows.

You might say "Well I just want the text or whatever to do this or that. That's All" haha.

But I went and ahead and redid the text with future things in mind. I don't know when I can get back to it, but I know I have the tools now for future text enhancements.

Took me about 15 minutes to check text on fire. I noted it and moved on. While it does not take long to check things out like this, it's another thing to get it all working properly and then do user interface and documentation for it. I said I did not have the time for it right now anyway.

With most any code that I do that is worth saving, I put into libraries so it can be used in other products easily. No matter what I am working on I am always thinking about reuse.

You are welcome to be my program manager. Just bring lots of money :)

Posted Mon 10 Mar 14 @ 6:36 pm
80%