Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: LIMITER Indicator implemented in skins - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
groovindj wrote :
Just put it at the end (but before the closing </Skin> tag).

I will try that.

I tried It and it gives me an error. Invalid skin file(error line 0 in the xml)

Posted Sun 25 Nov 12 @ 8:38 pm
You messed up somewhere then, because it's worked for me and others in this thread.

What software are you using to do the editing (open the XML, add the code, save the XML)????

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 7:52 am
groovindj wrote :
You messed up somewhere then, because it's worked for me and others in this thread.

What software are you using to do the editing (open the XML, add the code, save the XML)????

xcode for mac

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 9:28 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you have used the code you have quoted, then apparently you will get error in the xml file as the code has some extra \ characters. Check the code i posted in the 1st post and see the difference.
Note that there is a small bug when you copy-paste code, especially with " (quotes). Automatically some browsers add \ s.

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 9:36 am
groovindj wrote :
Just put it at the end (but before the closing </Skin> tag).

Thanks for pointing that out.

I tried my skin on another PC and the warning text does not show but does on my "backup" pc.

I even tried changing the font here:

Quote :
<text font="Eurostyle" size="20" weight="bold" color="RED" format="LIMITER ON" align="left"/>

but it did not make any difference.

Can someone tell me where it picks up the fonts - I would have expected the Eurostyle font to be in the system font folder, but it does not appear there, even on the working pc.

I'm guessing VDJ must have a default font, but what it is I do not know

NOTE: seems on my back up pc I can't get it to over-limit the audio... :) and that's why it does not appear.!

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 10:25 am
Here's an "unslashed" version of the code which VIP posted:

LIMITER
<panel id="limiteron" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : deck 2 get limiter ? true : deck 3 get limiter ? true : deck 4 get limiter ? true : false">
<size width="120" height="28"/>
<pos x="86" y="4"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
</panel>
<panel id="limiteroff" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? false : deck 1 get limiter ? false : deck 2 get limiter ? false : deck 3 get limiter ? false : deck 4 get limiter ? false : true">
<pos x="86" y="3"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
</panel>

<button panel="limiteroff" action="nothing">
<Tooltip>Limiter Indicator</Tooltip>
<pos x="86" y="3"/>
<up x="+0" y="+0"/>
</button>
<button panel="limiteron" action="nothing">
<Tooltip>Limiter Indicator</Tooltip>
<pos x="86" y="3"/>
<up x="+0" y="+0"/>
</button>
<textzone panel="limiteron" >
<pos x="86" y="3"/>
<up x="+0" y="+0"/>
<text font="Eurostyle" size="20" weight="bold" color="RED" format="LIMITER ON" align="left"/>
</textzone>

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 10:30 am
In the above example, Eurostyle font is used. If a font you are using in your code is not installed, then VirtualDJ will use the Arial one.
Its not going to give you any error if a font is not found in your system.

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 11:13 am
Thank you guys. It is now working.

I have more questions. Do you know how to determine the X & the Y coordinates using PREVIEW for Mac please?

Posted Mon 26 Nov 12 @ 11:32 am
Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hello,

it's possible to activate the limiter with a xml command ? I want to put a button in my skin to do that.

(sorry for my english)

[EDIT] In my skin, for see if the limiter is active or not I do this :

<visual pannel="AudioMixer" source="get limiter 'master'">
<size width="13" height="7"/>
<pos x="1815" y="222"/>
<up x="1815" y="2205"/>
<down x="392" y="1041"/>
</visual>

It's work very good but it's not exactly active in the same time as your script !

In the same time I search to see the deck1 limiter and deck2 limiter separately
I test this :
<panel id="limiteron" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : false">
<pos x="86" y="4"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
</panel>

but it don't work...

Posted Fri 30 Nov 12 @ 7:00 am
You locked my other post and nobody answers on this one... cool...

Posted Fri 30 Nov 12 @ 6:19 pm
The reason i locked your other thread is because there was already a discussion about Limiter here and lot of useful information as well. As for an answer in your questions, patience is sometimes required ;)

Try this..

<panel panel="AudioMixer" id="limiteron" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : deck 2 get limiter ? true : false">
<pos x="1815" y="222"/>
<down x="1815" y="2205"/>
</panel>
<panel panel="AudioMixer" id="limiteroff" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? false : deck 1 get limiter ? false : deck 2 get limiter ? false : true">
<pos x="1815" y="222"/>
<down x="392" y="1041"/>
</panel>

Limiter as Visual . Havent tried that yet, but i think Phantom has found a way to. get_limiter could possibly work as a visual and show the amount of the limitation. But if that works, i suppose it is not good to use that a button. You could possibly use it as a visual meter.

Posted Fri 30 Nov 12 @ 7:15 pm
I was badly understandable,

in the first time I search the command to activate or deactivate the limiter (the same action that we must do in the VDJ settings)
I would like to be able to make this action it directly on the skin.
Exemple :
<button action="limiter">
<size width="15" height="15"/>
<pos x="235" y="369"/>
<selected x="339" y="1050"/>
</button>

Secondly, my code makes the same work as yours :
<pos x="1815" y="222"/>
<up x="1815" y="2205"/>
<down x="392" y="1041"/>
</visual>
(It's just a remark for those that that interresse)
If the limiter is activate in the settings and if the music is saturated, the visual switch on.
But what is surprising it is that yours textzone not switch on exactly at the same time as mine ! Strange...

Thirdly, in the wiki they explain that we can see the deck 1 limiter :
Wiki wrote :
get limiter : return true if the limiter is compressing because the signal was saturated. Use 'deck 1 get limiter' to get the limiter on a deck in external mixer mode, or 'get limiter' (or 'get limiter "master") to get the limiter on the master for internal mixing mode (also can use 'get limiter "headphones"' and 'get limiter "booth"')

In you code you test the deck 1 anf the deck 2 limiter. It shall mean that there are 5 limiters ??? (Deck 1 + deck 2 + master + headphones + booth)

I want to see only the deck 1 limiter. It's possible ?
(Sorry if I make grammatical mistakes in English)

Posted Sat 01 Dec 12 @ 8:29 am
About the first question..
there is no action to enable/disable Limiter. You can only do that in Config->Options.
Limiter is something that you choose to enable or not, before start playing, not during a set, so it would be pointless to have such an action.
To my understanding, Limiter should be always enabled, to avoid distortion.

About the second question, i will have to take a look first. Will reply soon.

Posted Sun 02 Dec 12 @ 5:24 pm
Ok, I did several tests. It appears that both ways (visuals or panels with textzones) light up the Limiter indicator exactly the same way.

There must be some error in your code. Perhaps, some of your elements are not correctly declared (in proper panels)

Btw, what kind of sound Setup you have in Config ? Output is set to Headphones or External mixer ?

Posted Sun 02 Dec 12 @ 6:27 pm
I also tried to create a visual to show the amount of the limitation. It seems not possible at the moment. I suppose Phantom has used some kind of reverted Vu meter (direction="down") to show the vu meter when limiter is compressing.

Posted Sun 02 Dec 12 @ 6:33 pm
Well what I did is common logic:

I created a reversed VU (it's a custom graphics VU btw, it does not have direction) that will turn on only when the limiter is kicking in.

Since it's a LIMITER (aka a compressor with compress ratio infinity-to-one) it's common logic that the amount of volume OVER the limiter threshold will be the limiters volume reduction. I other words, the more you push the volume, the more reduction you'll get.

If anyone wants it, I can release the code for VU-meters with VU-reduction visual.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 1:16 am
I'd like to to use a red flashing dot over each meter to show limiting.

Is there a way of specifying a particular font character? Maybe Wingdings 0x4C or 0x6C or 0x78?

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 7:15 am
PhantomDeejay I am very interested in your code ! I shall be grateful to you if you could give it to me.

djdad wrote :
Ok, I did several tests. It appears that both ways (visuals or panels with textzones) light up the Limiter indicator exactly the same way.

There must be some error in your code. Perhaps, some of your elements are not correctly declared (in proper panels)

Btw, what kind of sound Setup you have in Config ? Output is set to Headphones or External mixer ?

I simply copied your code as it is, without modification. I made the test on my Office PC without controller or mixer. (I use the PC for make my skins or mappers, no headphone). I don't have test this on my Sono PC.

But I make another test with my PC sono (external mixer DJM600 + 2 launchaps Novation + Esi U46 XL).
I placed 5 visuals :
<visual source="deck 1 get limiter">
<visual source="deck 2 get limiter">
<visual source="deck 3 get limiter">
<visual source="deck 4 get limiter">

at a moment when I mixed techno, the deck 1 limiter is switch on alone. And later it was the deck 2 with an other mp3
I did'nt have time to make more test, but it seems good that we have 1 limiteur by deck with an external mixer !

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 5:09 pm
There seems to be a bug with this feature in 7.3
Before turning the LIMITER ON for the 1st time (in settings) I recall I could peak the VU's on my controller by adjusting the Gain, now that I turned the LIMITER ON and OFF again, I can NO LONGER peak my VUs, even with the gain at max.

Could somebody else confirm this? I'll plug my controller into another installation of VirtualDJ just to double check. But if it is VDJ then this is a serious bug and needs to be addressed ASAP in the next update. I'm very picky about maximizing my audio leves to where is just peaks every now and then, but now I don't know where my max levels are once past the last LED before the PEAK LED.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 5:29 pm
up for PhantomDeejay and your code for VU-meters with VU-reduction visual. Can you release it ?

Posted Wed 05 Dec 12 @ 4:45 pm
77%