Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: LIMITER Indicator implemented in skins - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The new 7.3 version has introduced Limiter, and a new get limiter action
The action is not showing if the Limiter is enabled in Config->Options, but it returns true each time the signal is compressed by the limiter.
In other words it should show the user, that something is wrong in his mixer settings if he get that indicator. You can understand of course the importance of this indicator, as quite a few times users complain about distorted sound (now you know why ;) )

The Default skins has been modified to include this feature
2 Decks : http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15354/VirtualDJ_7_(2_Decks)_HD.html and http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15333/VirtualDJ_7_(2_Decks)_(Browser_Resize).html
4 Decks : http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15391/VirtualDJ_7_(4_Decks)_HD.html

but all skiners, even novice users could implement that to their own skins, as its quite easy (doesnt even require graphics)
You will need just a few extra lines in your xml files...

Quote :

<panel id="limiteron" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : deck 2 get limiter ? true : false">
<size width="60" height="13"/>
<pos x="690" y="3"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
</panel>
<panel id="limiteroff" group="limiters" visible="get limiter ? false : deck 1 get limiter ? false : deck 2 get limiter ? false : true">
<size width="60" height="13"/>
<pos x="690" y="3"/>
<down x="+0" y="+0"/>
</panel>
<textzone panel="limiteron" >
<size width="65" height="12"/>
<pos x="690" y="3"/>
<up x="+0" y="+0"/>
<text font="Eurostyle" size="12" weight="bold" color="RED" format="LIMITER ON" align="center"/>
</textzone>

The above lines will make a text ..LIMITER ON to light up on the top of your screen (690,3), each time the limiter handles the high outputed signal.

PS. You might need to edit the position (690,3) of course, as it might overlap some other element in your skin or you may place that anywhere in your screen/skin.

Hope that helps.

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 6:50 pm
I swear your a mind reader!! I was just gonna ask if this is possible.

Thanks for th's info!!

EDIT: Works Perfectly!!

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 6:58 pm
It would be better in the future if it could also show you the AMOUNT of compression it applies. So that we could have REVERSE vu-meters to show us how much compression is applied. And of course it should be available on all decks + master...

Hmm... It seems that this belongs to the Wishes Forum! LOL!!!

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 12:36 am
You read my mind as well, thank you for this. I have noticed one small thing, If I disable the limiter in the options tab and the "limiter on" is being displayed, the words "limiter on" stay on all the time. Is that an easy tweak? I know it's minor

Thanks

Johnny

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 9:54 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
It would be better in the future if it could also show you the AMOUNT of compression it applies.

But it's not a compressor - it's a limiter. :-)

In theory it shouldn't affect a normal signal at all, just prevent it from going past a certain point.

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 10:32 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
You read my mind as well, thank you for this. I have noticed one small thing, If I disable the limiter in the options tab and the "limiter on" is being displayed, the words "limiter on" stay on all the time. Is that an easy tweak? I know it's minor

Thanks

Johnny

That could be a bug, but have in mind, that Limiter is something that you dont enable/disable during playing live. Will look though.

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 10:58 am
groovindj wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
It would be better in the future if it could also show you the AMOUNT of compression it applies.

But it's not a compressor - it's a limiter. :-)

In theory it shouldn't affect a normal signal at all, just prevent it from going past a certain point.

A limiter works by COMPRESSING the audio above a given threshold. The only difference with a "classic compressor" is that the limiter always uses a "infinity:1" compress ratio in order to keep the sound UNDER the given/desired threshold whereas a "compressor" uses any amount of compression from "1:1" up to "100000000000000000000000000000:1" without trying to keep the volume under a specified level

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 11:58 am
is this referring to when the audio signal is too hot/high for a given channel? or the overall Master Out signal?

please more details...

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 12:40 pm
It depends on the Sound setup, but more or less its a master output signal compression.

From Wiki ..
Quote :

get limiter : return true if the limiter is compressing because the signal was saturated. Use 'deck 1 get limiter' to get the limiter on a deck in external mixer mode, or 'get limiter' (or 'get limiter "master") to get the limiter on the master for internal mixing mode (also can use 'get limiter "headphones"' and 'get limiter "booth"')

some useful notes .. http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/171070/General_Discussion/Would_Like_To_See_Autogain_Like_It_Is_In_The_New_Serato_DJ_.html

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 1:36 pm
Hi Djdad
I kindly ask, it is possible to insert a signal limiter (a new get limiter action) also in the video section, we are many to use video ...
excuse for my bad english but I use a translator
best regards

Erik

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 9:45 am

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 11:35 am
djdad wrote :
I understand.
I may move that Indicator to a different part of the skin , e.g. to the top of the screen, as i have done with the 4 Decks skin. http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15391/VirtualDJ_7_(4_Decks)_HD.html

I have not tried that skin, mine is 1440x900, work with 2 decks

is a modification that are able to perform also I?

Best regards

Erik

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 3:53 pm

Posted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 7:15 am
HI djdad,

I LOVE the grom skin, could you also please add it there? Thank you!

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:21 am
Many thanks djdad,

works great for me - I have added it to the 4 deck swap skin @ the top left hand corner near the VDJ logo as I found your suggested position interfered with the other panels.

But like you say, can put the output text anywhere.

I now have a limiter indicator on all 4 decks.

here's my code:

Quote :

LIMITER
<panel id=\"limiteron\" group=\"limiters\" visible=\"get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : deck 2 get limiter ? true : deck 3 get limiter ? true : deck 4 get limiter ? true : false\">
<size width=\"120\" height=\"28\"/>
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"4\"/>
<down x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
</panel>
<panel id=\"limiteroff\" group=\"limiters\" visible=\"get limiter ? false : deck 1 get limiter ? false : deck 2 get limiter ? false : deck 3 get limiter ? false : deck 4 get limiter ? false : true\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
</panel>

<button panel=\"limiteroff\" action=\"nothing\">
<Tooltip>Limiter Indicator</Tooltip>
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
</button>
<button panel=\"limiteron\" action=\"nothing\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
</button>
<textzone panel=\"limiteron\" >
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
<text font=\"Eurostyle\" size=\"20\" weight=\"bold\" color=\"RED\" format=\"LIMITER ON\" align=\"left\"/>
</textzone>

Thanks again.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 3:01 am
Is it possible to have a red flashing circle (to emulate a peak LED) above each channel meter?

Posted Fri 23 Nov 12 @ 8:41 am
Yes its possible.
Instead of a textzone, you can have a button..

<button panel="limiteon" action="blink & nothing">
<pos...>
<size..>
<up..>
<selected ..>
</buton>

but have in mind that limiter is engaged differently depending on your Sound Setup.
If you use Headphones in Outputs. (internal mixer), then the get_limiter is returning true and the limiter applies on master. If you use ExtMixer as Outputs (external mixer), then the limiter applies on each deck so you will get true from deck x get_limiter.

The first method i described doesnt use graphics, so its easier to implement. The above method requires some graphics to be added.

Alternatively you can have the textzone to fllash , i ll come up with a code and post later.

Posted Fri 23 Nov 12 @ 8:57 am
Can it not be done with a font which has a circle in the characters?

Or maybe even a !

For now, I have changed the displayed text to OVERLOAD

Posted Fri 23 Nov 12 @ 9:05 am
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
VIP DISCO & KARAOKE wrote :
Many thanks djdad,

works great for me - I have added it to the 4 deck swap skin @ the top left hand corner near the VDJ logo as I found your suggested position interfered with the other panels.

But like you say, can put the output text anywhere.

I now have a limiter indicator on all 4 decks.

here's my code:

Quote :

LIMITER
<panel id=\"limiteron\" group=\"limiters\" visible=\"get limiter ? true : deck 1 get limiter ? true : deck 2 get limiter ? true : deck 3 get limiter ? true : deck 4 get limiter ? true : false\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"4\"/>
</panel>
<panel id=\"limiteroff\" group=\"limiters\" visible=\"get limiter ? false : deck 1 get limiter ? false : deck 2 get limiter ? false : deck 3 get limiter ? false : deck 4 get limiter ? false : true\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
</panel>

<button panel=\"limiteroff\" action=\"nothing\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
</button>
<button panel=\"limiteron\" action=\"nothing\">
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
</button>
<textzone panel=\"limiteron\" >
<pos x=\"86\" y=\"3\"/>
<up x=\"+0\" y=\"+0\"/>
<text font=\"Eurostyle\" size=\"20\" weight=\"bold\" color=\"RED\" format=\"LIMITER ON\" align=\"left\"/>
</textzone>

Thanks again.

Sorry I am so late In this discussion, but where and in what section of the XML skin file can I add those xml lines to show the limiter?

Posted Sun 25 Nov 12 @ 5:13 pm
Just put it at the end (but before the closing </Skin> tag).

Posted Sun 25 Nov 12 @ 5:18 pm
38%