Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Audio issues with new controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey guys.

I recently got a brand new Mixtrack Pro from Numark, and I've been experiencing some audio glitches/clicking when I mess with the EQ. This only started happening with the new controller, as I had a Hercules E2 before and it was fine. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ASIO sound card (ASIO4ALL) and some of the settings not being set up right. Or maybe I need to change something in Virtual DJ (7 Pro Full), or maybe even reinstall it.

I have 4GB of RAM memory, and an AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20Ghz Processor.

What can I do to stop this from happening? I've already gone through the 'possible solutions' page, and no matter what I do in the ASIO or VDJ config seems to change anything. I also make sure I close everything else when I open VDJ.

I'd appreciate your input.

J.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 1:38 pm
The sound card in the Mixtrack Pro is not ASIO.

You don't need to install any drivers.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 5:50 pm
Well, it came with an ASIO 4 All installation CD, so I did that. It pops up whenever I open Virtual DJ.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 6:20 pm
You would be better using native WDM audio - Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/MixTrack%20Pro.html

ASIO4ALL is not a real ASIO driver and there is no real benefit using it. In fact, it may actually cause you problems in some cases. Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/ASIO4ALL.html

Please also register your VirtualDJ Pro serial number on the page http://www.virtualdj.com/users/edit.html and then download the latest version from the Download Center: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/updates.html

If you have not purchased VirtualDJ Pro then please support the software and its future development by purchasing it: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html - Your MixTrack Pro (Or Hercules MP3e2 if your MixTrack Pro didn't come with VirtualDJ LE) entitles you to a discount off the cost of upgrading.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 4:42 am
Here's the kicker, though: for now, I'm trying to use my Mixtrack Pro without headphones, just the USB connection with VDJ. If I select headphones for the output, and then 4.1 Card below, Numark's just not there. What am I doing wrong?

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 5:21 am
The config is the same regardless whether you actually use the headphones or not.

If the Numark sound card is not listed, then maybe you have the basic MixTrack model that does not have its own built-in sound card rather than the MixTrack Pro which does?

Or ASIO4ALL may be preventing access to the sound card by other applications. Try uninstalling ASIO4ALL from add/remove programs.

Obviously, the MixTrack must actually be connected by USB to your computer BEFORE starting VirtualDJ, otherwise it will not appear in the list.

NOTE: If you just want basic sound output through your computer's own speakers (No headphone pre-listening), choose:

Inputs: None
Outputs: Single Output
Sound card: Simple -> Choose your computer's sound card in the drop-down list.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 6:06 am
I obviously know the difference between the Mixtrack and the Mixtrack Pro, and I know which one I've purchased.

I uninstalled Asio4All and the Numark sound card still doesn't show on my sound settings, which I'm finding to be quite odd (and yes, I've connected the Mixtrack Pro to the USB Port before opening VDJ).

I've described all my issues to the Numark community, in hopes they'll give me some directions. I was hoping you guys could help me figure this out as well. I've reinstalled VDJ, but to no avail. It also appears that sometimes there's crackling noises, and suddenly there's not. I've used a piece of software that was once recommended to check for latency issues, but everything came out okay.

VDJ also seems to freeze from time to time when I use the scratch function on the jog wheels. It's making me want to pull my hair out.

Thanks for the input so far.

J.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 7:39 am
There may be some sort of conflict on your system that is stopping it from working, or it may simply be named something different. What options are shown in the drop-down list when you choose Outputs: Headphones, Sound card: 4.1 card ?

Also, if you are getting crackling audio and/or freezing when trying to scratch then it means that you have performance and/or configuration issues with your computer. Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 8:24 am
When I select Headphones as my Output, and 4.1 Card as my sound card, the 3 options I get are "main sound system" (it's in Portuguese, but I'm sure you know what it is), High Definition Audio Device, and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device).

Edit: Okay, here's the thing: if I open the properties on my OS's volume control and enable Mixtrack Pro Speakers on "playback devices", it disables my computer's speakers. Then, if I open VDJ, I can select Numark on the sound card options, but there's no sound whatsoever, even after closing VDJ and opening it again.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 9:10 am
If you choose the MixTrack Pro as your default playback device in Windows then of course this will stop the sound coming out of your computer's own sound card/speakers because it's now using the MixTrack Pro sound card as the default playback device instead.

If you do this, the sound will now come out of the master outputs on the back of the MixTrack (Assuming that it's working.) Make sure that you have connected a pair of powered stereo speakers to the master output on the back of the MixTrack Pro.

In Windows playback devices, click on properties and check the settings of the MixTrack Pro's sound card. It's possible that it may have been changed to settings that are not compatible with VirtualDJ and/or set to be a stereo (2 channel) card only, instead of 4 channel. If it has been set to stereo, it will only appear in the list if you choose Outputs: Single Output - You won't be able to headphone pre-listen if it's configured this way.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 10:48 am
Support staff wrote :
If you choose the MixTrack Pro as your default playback device in Windows then of course this will stop the sound coming out of your computer's own sound card/speakers because it's now using the MixTrack Pro sound card as the default playback device instead.

If you do this, the sound will now come out of the master outputs on the back of the MixTrack (Assuming that it's working.) Make sure that you have connected a pair of powered stereo speakers to the master output on the back of the MixTrack Pro.

In Windows playback devices, click on properties and check the settings of the MixTrack Pro's sound card. It's possible that it may have been changed to settings that are not compatible with VirtualDJ and/or set to be a stereo (2 channel) card only, instead of 4 channel. If it has been set to stereo, it will only appear in the list if you choose Outputs: Single Output - You won't be able to headphone pre-listen if it's configured this way.

But is it normal that the Numark's sound card only pops up on VDJ's sound configurations when I set it as the default playback device? That's the only way it seems to work. But even then, if I do that, there's no sound, and I'd have to use an RCA cable to connect the controller to my speakers, which is a hassle, because the subwoofer is 'hidden' under my desk.

When I click on the Mixtrack Pro's sound card properties, it says it's working correctly.

I was just messing around with VDJ for a bit, and there's still crackling, mostly when the EQ is in a neutral position and I mess around with it, otherwise it seems to not do it. I'm also finding some latency when I press the cue button to preview a tune and also when I press play, even though the latency settings are set to Auto, Safe-Mode is off, and both DPC Latency and LatencyMon tell me there should be no problems whatsoever.

Gah.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 12:40 pm
Thelema wrote :
But is it normal that the Numark's sound card only pops up on VDJ's sound configurations when I set it as the default playback device? That's the only way it seems to work.

Well considering that the MPT sound card is 'device compliant' and not a professional ASIO card, Windows would see it as just a normal sound card so that wouldn't surprise me. Some versions of Windows also have an option to 'only use the default card' so if you have that option selected, it will.......only use the default card.

Thelema wrote :

But even then, if I do that, there's no sound, and I'd have to use an RCA cable to connect the controller to my speakers

There won't be any sound from your computer speakers, as you're using an EXTERNAL sound card - the Mixtrack Pro.

The sound is SUPPOSED to come from the 'master output' sockets of the Mixtrack Pro. You connect your audio system to the output of the Mixtrack Pro.

Posted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 6:00 am
Well, I don't wanna jinx it, but I think the glitching's gone. All I did was activate Safe Mode. I hadn't done this before (although I'm almost positive I did) because it's usually the first thing people tell others not to do when it comes to issues such as this.

Hopefully, it'll stay this way. I still have Input: None, Output: Single, Sound Card; Main Playback Device.

Posted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 11:44 am
Okay, so here's what's going on:

Although Safe Mode is on, and although it apparently seems to work this way, it's not really the case. Everything seems fine when I'm just playing around on VDJ, but if I record a mix (192kbps), there's crackling sounds whenever the volume faders for each deck are used. It's odd because there's no crackling when I'm in the process of mixing, only in the recorded file.

There must be some way that I can turn Safe Mode off and have my problem fixed. But if I turn it off, there's crackling noises whenever I use the EQ.

My settings for the moment: Input, None; Output, Simple; Sound Card: Main Sound Device

Latency: Auto
Safe Mode: On

Optimize for Latency

Master Tempo: Fast Stretching

Fast resizing.

Posted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 3:07 pm
Alright, so, despite the fact that none of the tips I received worked at all, I've stumbled upon something that does.

A while back, someone on these forums (with the same controller, I think) suggested something very simple: before mixing or playing live, in order to avoid crackling sounds, simply turn any of the knobs on the EQ off their neutral position.

So I turned Safe Mode off, and did it with the Mixtrack Pro's treble knob, and it seems to have done the trick. Recorded an entire 80min mix without any crackling sounds whatsoever.

Let's hope it stays that way.

So, to any of you having similar audio issues with your controller that nothing seems to fix, give it a try.

J.

Posted Sun 22 Apr 12 @ 11:53 am
Thelema wrote :
Alright, so, despite the fact that none of the tips I received worked at all, I've stumbled upon something that does.

A while back, someone on these forums (with the same controller, I think) suggested something very simple: before mixing or playing live, in order to avoid crackling sounds, simply turn any of the knobs on the EQ off their neutral position.

So I turned Safe Mode off, and did it with the Mixtrack Pro's treble knob, and it seems to have done the trick. Recorded an entire 80min mix without any crackling sounds whatsoever.

Let's hope it stays that way.

So, to any of you having similar audio issues with your controller that nothing seems to fix, give it a try.

J.

Hi, I may be the guy your talking about here. I have been having problems for a while now with the EQ's. Soon as I turn any one of them from the default position (50%) they make a crackling/distorted noise.

My solution was to just move the treble a bit higher to say like (50.78%) and it made everything flow well.

However, I cant be dealing with moving it slightly up every time I start Virtual DJ.

If anyone ever finds the real solution to this problem please let me know.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 1:33 pm
Nah, I think it was some guy on the Portuguese forums.

Either way, it's been doing the trick, so no complaints from me. Beats no solution at all, that's for sure. You can also do this:

1) Go to "Config" menu in VDJ
2) Go to "Mappers" tab
3) Make sure "Numark Mixtrack" or "Numark Mixtrack Pro" is selected, it should be already by default (or select whatever custom xml mapper file you are using)
4) Scroll down to "EQ_HIGH", the action listed should be "eq_high"
5) Delete text eq_high
6) Paste in eq_high & eq_high 50% ? eq_high +1%
7) Go to "Options" tab in config menu, and make sure "Eq reset on load" is set to DISABLED
8) Click Ok at bottom of config menu.
9) Restart VDJ just to be sure.

Which means you don't have to keep moving the EQ whenever you open VDJ.

J.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 12 @ 9:46 am
Thelema wrote :
Nah, I think it was some guy on the Portuguese forums.

Either way, it's been doing the trick, so no complaints from me. Beats no solution at all, that's for sure. You can also do this:

1) Go to "Config" menu in VDJ
2) Go to "Mappers" tab
3) Make sure "Numark Mixtrack" or "Numark Mixtrack Pro" is selected, it should be already by default (or select whatever custom xml mapper file you are using)
4) Scroll down to "EQ_HIGH", the action listed should be "eq_high"
5) Delete text eq_high
6) Paste in eq_high & eq_high 50% ? eq_high +1%
7) Go to "Options" tab in config menu, and make sure "Eq reset on load" is set to DISABLED
8) Click Ok at bottom of config menu.
9) Restart VDJ just to be sure.

Which means you don't have to keep moving the EQ whenever you open VDJ.

J.

Thanks for the help mate. The EQ solution has worked but everytime I open Virtual DJ it seems to reset the EQs even though I have it on disabled.

I am hoping the Virtual DJ team realise that there is something not right with the software and it has nothing to do with Latency on our behalfs.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 12 @ 1:26 pm
I always mess with the EQ knobs when I open VDJ and put everything as I want it to be when I start recording/playing, so it's no big deal for me. I'm just relieved the glitching's gone and I can mix without audio issues.

It's automatic for me, really. I open VDJ and give the treble knobs a little nudge, sort of a ritual now.

J.

Posted Sat 28 Apr 12 @ 10:12 am
i have the same problem and found out about the EQ thing. little annoying. i notice it doesnt happen when in DJ intro. must be a VDJ thing

Posted Wed 02 May 12 @ 9:19 am
65%