Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The Denon DN MC6000 - Page: 22

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

zacek100 wrote :

Just as a clarification, the controller's Heahphne knobs and the Master Volume knob cannot be mapped as they work @ the hardware level and in VDJ they will be set at their working default positions at program startup.

You are 1/2 correct. You can actually map the master volume knob if your skin supports it. So now my skin shows the master volume knob moving in conjunction with the controller. I didn't actually try and change its parameters since I would never want it to be anything other than master volume. You can also map the booth monitor controls. The only controls you can't seem to map are the mic levels, crossfader contour and headphone levels. There are no midi signals associated with them.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 10:51 am
I thought this controller was native?

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 11:28 am
If you map the master volume knob to master_volume then you will end up with twice as much adjustment being applied because first VirtualDJ will reduce the volume of each deck output appropriately in software, then the MC6000 itself will also apply the same reduction again in hardware.

This is why the knob is not mapped like that by default.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 12:18 pm
Interesting. I honestly didn't notice any difference. Just that the control moves on the screen now.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 12:45 pm
pbouzanPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I have the C3X too, if using with the MC600 you have two pre amps/2 X Volume knobs, bit dangerous isn't it? I mean that's a serious amount of headroom!

Anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly. I wouldn't call it 'headroom' though...

Think of it as you performing on-stage alongside a band and your MC6000 is connected into a mixing desk along with the band equipment, radio mics, etc. The MC only appears as another line device...

So long as you don't apply too much gain to the aux input on the C3X then there's no danger of overloading. I find the optimum setting for the line control is at about 1 o'clock. This appears to be a unity gain point. The output of the C3X is quite hot though, I find you can get a good volt and a half swing with the master up full so that too stays around 1-2 o'clock and my amps tell me they're happy as well (QSC PLX 3402 driving two pairs of Bose 802's via an 802C fed from the mid/top active output of a RCF 705 AS active sub - very meaty good quality sound system).

Having two stages of EQ in series can be quite a dangerous thing though but I do remember looking up the spot frequencies for both the MC and the C3X EQ controls and they didn't clash (not got them to hand right now). Even so I leave the C3X line EQ flat and just use the MC EQ to tweak. Very very rarely I might just nudge the C3X HI EQ up a smidge as it tends to brighten up a dull track that the MC controls cannot capture.

Always trust your ears though, if it sounds over-eq'd, too hot or just plain distorted then something is wrong. Be strict with yourself and never be tempted to overdrive any stage of the game. Use the flexibility of the kit to your advantage... If it ain't loud enough, get some bigger speakers!

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 1:28 pm
Are you plugging into the Aux via a jack or are you plugging into a channel?

I notice that the echo on the MC isn't assignable, it's either both or non.

I also notice that the MC doesn't have a master balance knob which is weird.

Denon should hang their heads in shame seen as you have to hybrid the device with another product to make it good.

Nice to see another C3X user anyway been the best item i ever bought.

You just need one of these adding next lol to make it good.

PULSE MP3 MASTER - SD / USB RACKMOUNT MP3 PLAYER

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 2:19 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote :
Are you plugging into the Aux via a jack or are you plugging into a channel?

I notice that the echo on the MC isn't assignable, it's either both or non.

I also notice that the MC doesn't have a master balance knob which is weird.

Denon should hang their heads in shame seen as you have to hybrid the device with another product to make it good.

Nice to see another C3X user anyway been the best item i ever bought.

You just need one of these adding next lol to make it good.

PULSE MP3 MASTER - SD / USB RACKMOUNT MP3 PLAYER

Main XLR out from the MC into balanced TRS jacks into the C3X - line channels 11/12 to be exact.

The echo on the MC is Fisher Price league, it should have been reverb... sadly overlooked there...

No balance no but not the end of the world I would have said. Not many mixers i've had recently that have those anymore...

Agree with the best item ever though, I have three of them now. They're in all my PA racks and work flawlessly.

Already use the ADJ Media Operator alongside the C3X's, have three of them too! Not enough room in my case for one though so i invested in a ZEN mp3 player and 8Gb SD card. Velcro'd that just above the MC on the 2U cable tray blanking plate and cabled it into the system. Perfect :)

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 3:08 pm
szeppieriPRO InfinityDenonMember since 2005
Soundman69 wrote :
The only controls you can't seem to map are the mic levels, crossfader contour and headphone levels. There are no midi signals associated with them.

Contour, Headphone and Pan/Cue are all MIDI mappable.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 4:49 pm
Just packing down from another great gig. Video, music and karaoke.

2 deck setup, internal sound cards, no midi mapping other than video on the crossfader and parameter 1 for auto crossfade which does me great as I can choose the xfade effect. Parameter 2 still locks the gui up when selecting and is sticky once en-route. No crashes but very unpredictable results unless you really play with it. A couple of play button dead hits. This may be an issue?

Audio quality is great, did need to reduce VDJ master out to 50% as it is a tad hot again though. Gain structure is fine after that, just teasing me I guess, this game is all about learning the best combination to keep the customer happy...

I love the way just about every control can be mapped but, and to be honest, some controls just *dont* need to be mapped! Having manual control over the essentials is a reassuring factor sometimes :)

Home, food and a beer... best part about the end of the night to me really... tarrraaa!

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 5:58 pm
"...2 deck setup, internal sound cards, no midi mapping other than video on the crossfader..."

I should say no MIXER midi mapping (other than...), the rest of the controller was mapped as standard.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 7:43 pm
I'm sorry to jump in on this tread, are you saying this unit isn't native to VDJ. I.e. it isn't mapped out of the box?

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 4:03 am
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I'm sorry to jump in on this tread, are you saying this unit isn't native to VDJ. I.e. it isn't mapped out of the box?

It is fully mapped to VDJ out of the box.

Obviously if you want to use it in full MIDI mode then you're set to go with the 4 deck skin but I choose to use the mixer in 'analogue' mode i.e. none of the mixer controls affect the VDJ mixer. The rest of the deck controls are mapped accordingly and control the decks as you would expect. The only exception is the crossfader that can be assigned to control the video crossfade as well.

The MC6000 has two modes of operation selectable by a switch at the back. One mode allows you to use the two inbuilt sound devices as inputs conventionally selectable on the two middle mixer channels (how I use it). The second mode places one sound device directly onto the main output bus and the other to the PFL section. VDJ then uses the first sound card as its output device and the second as its PFL channel. You control the VDJ mixer with the mixer section mapped to the sliders and EQ/gain controls.

Where you might be getting confused is that the supplied 4-deck mapping in full MIDI mode is not as intuitive as you might expect. The mixer channels have been assigned sequentially instead of logically hence why reference is made to changing the order of the channels to suit use in a practical environment. Just a bit of code-jiggling, takes a few minutes and is the beauty of the modular approach VDJ takes.

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 6:36 am
Denon DJ wrote :
[
Contour, Headphone and Pan/Cue are all MIDI mappable.

When I tried VDJ did not show any signal from the headphone level control only the pan/cue control. I guess that is a software issue then?

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 10:34 am
A question for those of you who have the 6000.

Say I am using the 6000 in VDJ 4 deck mode and I want to switch to a external source. Could I just flip a switch and use 1 or 2 of the channels for CDs, or would I have to go into the config menu and make changes restart etc etc?

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 11:23 am
Jam Master Rob wrote :
A question for those of you who have the 6000.

Say I am using the 6000 in VDJ 4 deck mode and I want to switch to a external source. Could I just flip a switch and use 1 or 2 of the channels for CDs, or would I have to go into the config menu and make changes restart etc etc?

This was the first thing I tried. As soon as you switch from MIDI to Aux, Line 1 or 2 the controls for that channel will control the analogue signal you are feeding in instead. Switch it back to MIDI and the controls re-assume control of VDJ. No config changes or restarts required.

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 11:33 am
^^^ Thank you sir!!^^^

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 11:37 am
Jam Master Rob wrote :
^^^ Thank you sir!!^^^

No problem chap. You're very welcome.

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 11:49 am
Last night was a bit of a crapper to say the least...

The Denon froze 4 times!!!

It was okay the previous week for 4 gigs, and froze 4 times in one night... No idea what the hell is going on but was rather embarassed!

Si

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 12:12 pm
si1988uk wrote :

It was okay the previous week for 4 gigs, and froze 4 times in one night... No idea what the hell is going on but was rather embarassed!

Si

Eww, not good.

I think it's safe to say Denon/Atomix have bottomed out the initial problems with this firmware update. This thread has gone rather quiet ever since that was released so it speaks for itself really.

I would look deeper into your setup, try a different USB cable for a start. Its the cheapest thing you can try and IMO the root of many problems I've seen with computer/controller setups. Get a decent one and keep the stock one as backup. Do all the usual suggestions such as disable wireless and AV scanners etc. It's bound to be one of them causing you grief... I wish you luck!

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 12:46 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
si1988uk wrote :

Si

Can you describe what exactly happens? What were the performance and asio settings set to?

Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 12:58 pm
55%