Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ Video problems - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I hate to be the first one to post it, but im having problems with virtual dj's video functions.

Mpegs play at extremely low fps (I'm guessing 2-3). Is the a specific set of guidlines these vidoes should conform to? My system is a p4 2.8ghz with 764? mb of ram and a 256mb radeon 800 xl.
Also, using the text option causes the driver's vpu recovery to kick in(supposedly averts a crash).

Still love you guys though.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 3:59 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
a little low on the ram side

make sure you have DX9c installed, try non accelrated mode first, then try the acceleration.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 9:50 pm
VDJ dosent go over 250mb memory use. Ive got ram to spare. And ive tried both ways.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 12:08 am
well we were a little nvidia biased in testing I think one tester had an ati card. lets break it down windows is gonna use 256 megs of ram then vdj is gonna base at around 256 + the size of the file you want to play. So couple that with slow ram and you may have low frame rates do me a favor and post your aqua & 3dmark scores with that card. Just because it has a lot of ram doesn't mean it can perform.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 12:23 am
I personally use that comptuer to do all sorts of hi end work, from vidoe production to 3d rendering. VDJ is not pushing the ram requiremetns of the system. It isnt paging. The issue seems to be cpu related. I get a ~100% cpu usage,and vdj's waveform display, and even the mouse seems to pause with each frame, or at least near each frame. Im alittle perplexed. I'll get around to posting my benchmarks though.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 2:42 am
Just as a test, i ran it on my laptop with a slower cpu and equal ammount of memory. While not perfect, frame rates were acceptable. I have no idea what the issue could be. Very similar software loadouts.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 2:45 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to change the "reactivity" in the settings (fast computer= for last processors, medium computer=normal processor or low computer), or disable the "hardware acceleration" in the settings too.
For general performance, disable "read id3 Tags" and "write VDJ Tags"

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 10:21 am
tried it, no dice.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 6:43 pm
still waiting on aquamark and 3dmark scores with your config.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 7:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Cyderhouse and dj-in-norway --

Can you guys start a sticky thread that talks about

1. The minimum system requirements to have good video performance
-- To include an explanation about Dual video output being necessary

2 The best video codec/format that you guys have experienced that does not
give the choppy low frame rate look like everyone seems to be experiencing.

I guess my big problem to date is that the video piece releases and yet there is no
faqs for the best performance from the Dev Team or the Beta Testers. It's great that you guys are here to help, but at least give us a starting point so that we can start off some what competent about the video features.

BTW, as an example re-read the first two entries of this thread. Two months ago the comment about 'not enough RAM' would have never been made if we were only talking MP3 mixing. If the minimum requirement for GOOD video performance is 1024Mb ( 1Gb ) then we need to know that up-front.

Thanks ahead of time,

V/R,
cstoll

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 7:29 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
With my laptop (see in my blog), it was good on a TV with video clip. I use acceleration hardware and reactivity=fast

Only video quality decreases when loading the second video and the first one is already playing
Of course, i have noticed divx and xvid takes more ressources but work well, maybe divx is better

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 7:58 pm

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 1:47 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Cyderhouse-

thanks!

cstoll

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 2:27 am
I read about the video stuff and thought I'd spend some cash .. After all it's always good to support active developers. And it's always nice to get sum new toy to play with..

But how to activate video? I have no idea how to get it going, eventhough I have a dual port video card I get 'empty' as only option in the video prefs.. I would expect a preview window (or something) to be available on the screen VDJ is on..

Do I need anything besides the 2.1 install file to use video? I cannot find any additional plugins so I guess it should all be on my system now.. Manual also seems to not be updated yet.. But then again this is all new anway and new to me as well so it gives us all something to do :^)

And of course 3dmark and Aquamark mean diddly squat for video playback, unless VDJ renders video in 3D using 3D stuff like texture mapping etc.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 3:38 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Welcome aboard paulheu that's an excellent decision.

To enable video:
----------------
- Connect your TV out to another monitor (or TV)
- Restart your PC
- Select your display mode (dual view with NVidia Geforce))
- Start VDJ
- Go to the video settings
- Select your video out
- Enjoy.

If you don't connect your 2nd monitor before launching your PC and VDJ it would be unrecognized.

Tell us if it works.

Clax

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:13 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:15 am
I disagre with aquamark being useless, its looking at the whole system low scores= low performing system. Sure we are not running 3d games here but we are using dX9 quite heavily. THis is as good a test as any.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:38 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Welcome Paul, pretty much what was posted is what I discovered by trial and error.
It makes no sence to me why it is, but it is............

BTW, to those who don't know him, Paul is a long standing DJ geek who has better than average knowlege in sound and pc aps for djing etc. He is pretty well known by PCDJ users for assisting with some pretty complicated issues and i'm sure he will be an asset to this group here as well.

Again, welcome.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 2:16 pm
I almost feel silly posting this, but i discovered that the HIGHER quality the file i use, the faster the system performs? I was initially testing with a low quality 320x240 file, crappy performance. Then i tried with something i ripped off cable, and it was great.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 3:12 pm
No that makes perfect sense, videocard does more with higer res.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 5:27 pm
59%