Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: REALLY professional skin for VDJ - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The best skin is the Mix Station SV 04 Titanium, in my opinion. All the necessary features a working mobile and club DJ needs.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 10:43 pm
AuralCandy.Net wrote :

What's up with this self pretentious attitude....

That is what I would like to know, you are the one complaining NONE of the skins or designers are up to YOUR standards of professionalism.....what design elements do you consider to be needed for a "Professional" skin? I stand by my assertion the skins you used as examples are very ineffective from a professional user point of view, almost childish in their "candy" like representation appealing to a third grader's sense of attraction to shiny bobbles.

AuralCandy.Net wrote :
If you think functionality and aesthetics are somehow contradicting each other, you have a really poor understanding of interface design.....my day job is a software developer, so I tend to think I have some idea of what I'm talking about.

I do not think functionality and aesthetics are somehow contradictory...I do think too much flash and glitz that distracts ones focus and makes the functions hard to find and use and buttons poorly laid out for the extremely repetitive tasks required by a Dj does make for a poor skin. Inefficient and unintuitive placement of buttons may be fine for the home user who sets a playlist find s the play button and woalks away, but that does not work for a Dj.

You stated it yourself regarding the VDJ team that just because you are a software developer does NOT automatically make you a good interface designer. This is very true and that is why interfaces on so many software projects in all fields are so unintuitive and inefficient.

You personally may well be a good interface designer, I have no way to know as I have not seen any interfaces you have designed for any software products so I can not judge you there; however, if you are such a good interface designer as you say then why don't you design your own just as many (as you call them unprofessional) users have done for themselves and others.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
You know there are a lot of guys who will do a skin for free or a small donation if you just ask nicely and lead them in the direction you want the skin to look....have you tried that route?

AuralCandy.Net wrote :
There's no way to say this in a way that isn't going to rub some people the wrong way, but I'm going to say it anyway...

If I'm to be compeltely honest, based on the the VDJ skins currently available, I'm not convinced that the existing skinners are up to the task of creating a skin that I would consider to be professional enough. For that reason I suggested that Atomix Productions would utilitize people who are specialized in interface design and high-quality graphics. To my understanding Atomix Productions' developement team is fairly small, and if there's something I've learned as a software developer, there's no point trying to do everything yourself with limited resources. In some cases it's better to outsource.

Have you ever thought maybe the designs are done the way they were because someone specifically requested that approach! Before you blanket critisize, I again ask you why you don't try contacting one or more of them and communicating what you want, and guiding and working in concert with them to produce the results you will be happy with.....it's not like they are charging you hundred of dollars in development only to be dissapointed by the outcome as most software interface companies do. They are doing it because they are good decent people who want to help out the community, and usually FOR FREE!

Lastly what is or isn't professional looking, what is or isn't appealing and what is or isn't functional is all in the eyes and hands (and mouse cursors) of the user so please step off your software developer high horse and let someone give you the help you are seeking.... or...quit your bitchin and go find it on your own.

The above comments are my own as a dedicated user of VDJ and an impatial admirer of the hard work of the skin and plug-in creators for this program. These comments are not known to reflect either positively or negatively the views of the staff and other users of Atomix, Virtual Dj, the dev-team or the skin designers.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 09 @ 5:48 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
That is what I would like to know, you are the one complaining NONE of the skins or designers are up to YOUR standards of professionalism.....what design elements do you consider to be needed for a "Professional" skin? I stand by my assertion the skins you used as examples are very ineffective from a professional user point of view, almost childish in their "candy" like representation appealing to a third grader's sense of attraction to shiny bobbles.

This is a very much a matter of opinion. Howerer, I'd like to point out that the given examples were not ment as examples of good interface design, just example of good graphics - which are two different things. There are also a lot of simplistic interfaces that still manage to look good at the same time. Take iTunes for example. The trick is to pay attention to details and consistancy.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
I do not think functionality and aesthetics are somehow contradictory...I do think too much flash and glitz that distracts ones focus and makes the functions hard to find and use and buttons poorly laid out for the extremely repetitive tasks required by a Dj does make for a poor skin. Inefficient and unintuitive placement of buttons may be fine for the home user who sets a playlist find s the play button and woalks away, but that does not work for a Dj.

True, but I never claimed that the placement of interface elements, buttons etc. on the given examples was somehow better than Virtual DJ. However I understand why you might have gotten that impression. Also my point of view with skins might be different than yours, since I'm using a external mixer and a controller, so in a real life situation I would not be clicking any of the interface elements with a mouse.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
You personally may well be a good interface designer, I have no way to know as I have not seen any interfaces you have designed for any software products so I can not judge you there; however, if you are such a good interface designer as you say then why don't you design your own just as many (as you call them unprofessional) users have done for themselves and others.

Like I already stated, that's what I plan to do. I feel confident to be able to create a skin that servers my personal needs both functionally and aesthetically. However, one major point of my original post that a better looking default VDJ would also function as a good publicity tool by giving a better first impression. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that VDJ should have bling just for the sake of bling just to pull new customers.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
Have you ever thought maybe the designs are done the way they were because someone specifically requested that approach! Before you blanket critisize, I again ask you why you don't try contacting one or more of them and communicating what you want, and guiding and working in concert with them to produce the results you will be happy with.....it's not like they are charging you hundred of dollars in development only to be dissapointed by the outcome as most software interface companies do. They are doing it because they are good decent people who want to help out the community, and usually FOR FREE!

Lastly what is or isn't professional looking, what is or isn't appealing and what is or isn't functional is all in the eyes and hands (and mouse cursors) of the user so please step off your software developer high horse and let someone give you the help you are seeking.... or...quit your bitchin and go find it on your own.

While I have much respect for people contributing time and effort to create skins for free, that does not automatically mean that skins are good. The ideology behind the creation process is in no way related to what consists as a usable and attractive interface. I judge skins the same way whether they are created by a large software corporation or by a single hobbyist in his bedroom.

People need to stop being such defensive little fan boys and acknowledge the fact that Virtual DJ nor it's custom skins are not the end-all be-all of interface design. There's always room for improvement and critisism. Granted that the tone of my first post wasn't very constructive, but that's something I've already apologized for.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 09 @ 6:56 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Come on guys, do not fight for a skin ;-)

Posted Sun 29 Mar 09 @ 11:34 am
Apology accepted, there is so much crap software out there that is over hypeed, over priced and doesn't live up to what it is intended to do that sometimes I get a bit passionet about about a product like VDJ that actually works and has a community that truely cares.

Posted Sun 29 Mar 09 @ 6:34 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
When I first started out, was PCDJ 5.0 and the interface looked like - a dual CD unit. I liked it b/c it was familiar to me.

Has anyone seen OTS? Very unlike typical DJ hardware - and somewhat confusing to the noob.

Currently, I find Formats Mix Lab V3.1 to be the BEST. Followed by Scatman's Multifunctions (for smaller screens).

Posted Wed 01 Apr 09 @ 10:50 am
SQuatman ;)

And MultiFunction 4 is comming soon for 1440x900 ;)

I'm happy you like my skins ;)

SQ;p

Posted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 8:39 pm
squatman972 wrote :
SQuatman ;)

SQ;p

I'm very happy
I love Multifunction
in ITALY 3 PRO Video DJ use this skin in maxi events over 3000 people - (Omobono, Falconrec, ...Spazialex :-) )

Posted Wed 08 Apr 09 @ 2:41 pm
Hey!!!! whats wrong with you people lol........
Fighting for a skin uh lol

Please do not fight i think there are better ways to fix this situation =)

Posted Wed 08 Apr 09 @ 4:50 pm
dj_alex_jarocho wrote :

Please pay more attention, Alex.

If you look at the dates, there hasn't been any "fighting" about this topic for several days. I consider this case closed.

I quoted the word fighting because I don't think this thread qualifies as "fighting". People might have strong and different opinions, but as long as they are backed up with some kind of proper arguments, I consider it to be healthy and constructive discussion.

Posted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 2:21 am
Spazialex DJ wrote :
squatman972 wrote :
SQuatman ;)

SQ;p

I'm very happy
I love Multifunction
in ITALY 3 PRO Video DJ use this skin in maxi events over 3000 people - (Omobono, Falconrec, ...Spazialex :-) )

Really?

Posted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 9:10 am
yes :-)

Videomix on 3 maxi screen

http://www.lacapanninadifranceschi.it/ - The Story of Dancefloor (Tuscany - Versilia - Forte dei marmi)

on table: 650 / dancer: 3000 - reply next friday

other DJ
Fabio Lenzi Producer - Lemon Studio (into the forum Falconrec)
Enrico Tagliaferri - www.v-party.it - (into the forum Omobono)
and
Max Mora DiJ - italian teamer

Loves this audio/video skin

Posted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 10:12 am
dj_alex_jarocho wrote :

Please pay more attention, Alex.

If you look at the dates, there hasn't been any "fighting" about this topic for several days. I consider this case closed.

I quoted the word fighting because I don't think this thread qualifies as "fighting". People might have strong and different opinions, but as long as they are backed up with some kind of proper arguments, I consider it to be healthy and constructive discussion.

Sorry about that =)

Posted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 12:01 pm
I have still to date not found a skin which is up to the quality of the actual software, the standard VDJ skin included, i am almost imbaressed with the look of VDJ. Especially now when i saw Torq 2.0 which really looks good, but i cant make it work with Hercules controller.

Most of the skins are made in wrong resolution, they look clumsy with strange big buttons and just plain wrong font types, if only someone could do something really simple. Frankly speaking, i really think the VDJ people should wake up, they need to move on and invest a bit into this, or they will be outperformed.

Posted Fri 08 Apr 11 @ 6:49 am
AaaHH you guys complain too much!!... dont you ever quit?...get on with the mix for crying out loud,...or is THat whats really buugging you? (Basic Head Shrinkin skills here...) ...theres a skin coming up that i would trade all my past girlfriends for (oh,oh I better quit while I'm ahead...) and its Great and Free !!

Posted Fri 08 Apr 11 @ 9:13 am
Who dug up this fossil of a thread? The best thing about VDJ is being able to complete customize everything, including it's look. Serato & Tracktor are just starting to catch up but are still light years away in regards to skins.

Lock this one up and throw away the key.
AC

Posted Fri 08 Apr 11 @ 4:58 pm
+1

Posted Fri 08 Apr 11 @ 11:44 pm
I have friends that use serato and frankly (in my opinion) it's ugly as sin.

I have seen DEX and the only cool thing about that is the spinners the rest is a practical knock off of VDJ.

Likewise the ONLY thing that serato has that I wish could be done in virtual dj is the colored waveforms.

I have personally used BOTH PCDJ and VDJ at the same time for a while and I stopped using PCDJ due to a lack of features.
Not the least of which is the ability to change its appearance to suit your personal needs. (and it plays videos at no extra charge)

If you don't like the existing skins with their big bobbles and shiny things and wrong fonts then make your own and wow us all.

I find this thread to be mostly offensive due to the content. I understand that several times the words "I don't mean to offend" were used but let's be real, this is a thread for people to say ,"your stuff sucks" and you're not really talking about the default skin ,"which in my opinion blows serato out of the water... their spinners don't even spin right, they're off center and sloppy" they are specifically targeting the people who do this for the simple satisfaction of their art.

Go suck an egg

Someone lock this thread please, it's ancient history anyways.

Posted Mon 11 Apr 11 @ 1:42 pm
Wow, so I guess where you live its not ok to express you opinion?? And why such a personal take on it??

Relax Bro.........its not that serious
Huey

Posted Mon 11 Apr 11 @ 1:46 pm
I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.

I've always been taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut your trap.

Sorry, I did rant a bit there.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 11 @ 1:11 am
98%