Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: REALLY professional skin for VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

While I love Virtual DJ, there's on thing that bugs me about it: It's quite ugly. The default skin is so-so, and most of the custom skins vary between worse and terrible. I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but I think that a more attractive appearance would make Virtual DJ look more professional.

So how about hiring some professional interface design company to create a new [default] skin for Virtual DJ. I suggest The Skins Factory.

Here's some samples of their work. I selected these particular skins to give an example what I think would look great as a VDJ skin.

Motorola iRadio
iRiver Plus
Nero Showtime

What do you guys think?

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 7:52 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If you try to compare VDJ with other competiting softwares, you can realize VDJ can change its skins, with the others you can't.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:01 am
my opinion - YOU HIRE THEM, YOU PAY FOR THEM - YOU DO IT.

Many users (including myself) spend lots of time creating and modifying skins to meet peoples requirements. We do this free of charge.
Whilst i understand you are not directly knocking any skin creators i find your comments offensive.

This is my opinion.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:05 am
sischo wrote :
If you try to compare VDJ with other competiting softwares, you can realize VDJ can change its skin, the others can't.

And if you bother to actually read what I wrote, you'll notice that I'm well aware of that. I'd like to think I was being quite clear.

I know that Virtual DJ has skinning ability. I just feel that both the default skin and most of custom skins are ugly an amateur-like.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:06 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
And somehow the other DJ software programs have better looking professional skins? - if they are able to do them at all.

What you are interested in is the 'flash' and 'pizazz' of the shinny 3-dimensional look. The only thing that comes close to that look is ClubDJ or the new PCDJ Mobile Red (DEX lite).

But I understand what you are saying - but looks aren't everything - and I think we have some very talented designers with some very well designed skins available that provide a professional look in comparison to the rest.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:15 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
sischo wrote :
If you try to compare VDJ with other competiting softwares, you can realize VDJ can change its skin, the others can't.

And if you bother to actually read what I wrote, you'll notice that I'm well aware of that. I'd like to think I was being quite clear.

I know that Virtual DJ has skinning ability. I just feel that both the default skin and most of custom skins are ugly an amateur-like.

Well i am not a fan of the VDJ default skin either...however there is a wide range of skins from amateur to pro class skins. We do not discriminate against users skin work. Users are free to skin whatever they would like. That said.. you may find skins that do not appeal to you, thats fine and you entitled to your opinion. I dont its possible to say things like " most of custom skins are ugly an amateur-like" without offending someone. Skins help users customize VDJ to their needs, that is the beauty of the software, its not a "one size fits all". Eye candy in skins might look great but that only goes so far... its really about how well a skin functions for its user.

have you looked at these skins? they are all great (IMO)

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/5884/Turntablist_variations.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/4024/Mix_Lab_variations.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/3196/CUE_RMX_by_cioce_variations.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/6629/Mac___Win_VJ_variations.html

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:29 am
djpr1PRO InfinityMember since 2008
cstoll wrote :
I think we have some very talented designers with some very well designed skins available that provide a professional look in comparison to the rest.

Yes indeed, just to name a couple...
Cioce
Dj Format
Listen2
SSlover
DjTouchdan (our latest skin weapon)

And the list goes on................These skins have what i need for my different performances and then some, who gives a SH#@ about shiny, 3d this and that..........

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:33 am
auralcandy.net wrote :
most of custom skins are ugly an amateur-like.

You're quite welcome to post up some of your designs then.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:37 am
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
While I love Virtual DJ, there's on thing that bugs me about it: It's quite ugly.

I assume you are talking about the default audio skins, I haven't use those since Bush was president, we were losing the Iraq war and "Sexyback" was the number one hit. (2006) I MIX VIDEO.

As far any skin goes audio or video I personally don't care if it's as ugly as my grandparents having sex, I require it be functional and nothing more. Also don't forget, beauty is in the EYE of the BEER HOLDER. (@)-(@) <--------<

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 8:39 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If you really don't like anyone of these skins, you can contact one of the best author and you may ask them to make a special skin just for you.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 9:05 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I personally prefer flatter looking skins that are less fancy - they are far cleaner and easier to look at, especially in dark environments. Something clean and simple looks far more professional than some shiny overdesigned 3D effort IMHO.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 9:50 am
First of all I'd like to address my sincere apology to all whom I've offended. On hindsight I realized that the rude tone of my posting was uncalled for. While most of the skins might not be to my preference, calling them ugly, horrible or amateur-like was an overkill. I have nothing but utmost respect for your volutary work for the community.

My only poor excuse is that I'm not a native english speaker. That's why I tend to use needlesly harsh language since the words don't carry the same "emotional charge" in a foreign language.

djtouchdan wrote :
my opinion - YOU HIRE THEM, YOU PAY FOR THEM - YOU DO IT.

If I were to suggest a new functional feature to Virtual DJ, would you scream "YOU code it yourself" or "YOU hire the developers"? I doubt it. I know this subject hits close to home, but still try to see it just as another feature suggestion.

While I'm not in a position to DEMAND anything, I think that it's my right as a paying customer to give critique and suggestions about Virtual DJ.

cstoll wrote :
And somehow the other DJ software programs have better looking professional skins? - if they are able to do them at all.

I never said anything about any other DJ software. I know I too would get defensive if somebody called "my baby" ugly, but that's not a reason to put words to my mouth ;)

But while we're on the subject, I don't find any of the other DJ software to be that much better looking either.

cstoll wrote :
What you are interested in is the 'flash' and 'pizazz' of the shinny 3-dimensional look. The only thing that comes close to that look is ClubDJ or the new PCDJ Mobile Red (DEX lite).

Is that such a bad thing? It's a fact that first impressions play a huge role with every product. "Wow-factor" tends to get people interested in a product, and there isn't a software on the planet that could not use some extra PR. From what I've seen, ClubDJ has some nice skins. I would not mind having them on Virtual DJ, since it's otherwise a superb product.

cstoll wrote :
But I understand what you are saying - but looks aren't everything - and I think we have some very talented designers with some very well designed skins available that provide a professional look in comparison to the rest.

I never claimed that aesthetics should take priority over functionality. However, having an attractive interface in no way excludes having great functionality. Besides, my post did not comment FUNCTIONALITY of the skins in any way, simply the appearance.

marksmolinski wrote :
You're quite welcome to post up some of your designs then.

While at the moment I'm obviously not in the best of positions to say, I find your comment a bit childish. Just because I see room for improvement, it doesn't mean that I'm required to have to have the ability to remedy it.

I don't feel that I'm obliged to prove anything to you, but if you really really want to see my designs, you can head down to AuralCandy.Net. All the episode covers and web layout is done by me, so hopefully that proves I'm not completely handicapped with Photoshop :)

Obviously a Real Man(TM)(C)(R) would just stop bitching and draw his own skin...but who knows, I just might take you up on that challenge ;)

sischo wrote :
If you really don't like anyone of these skins, you can contact one of the best author and you may ask them to make a special skin just for you.

I would rather see that benefit to come to everybody in the Virtual DJ community, not just me.

SBDJ wrote :
I personally prefer flatter looking skins that are less fancy - they are far cleaner and easier to look at, especially in dark environments.

Despite everybody trying to force the "Shiny jazzy 3D-lover" label to my forehead, I also share your "less is more" philosophy when it comes to interfaces. This however doesn't mean it can't be good looking at the same time.

Generally the thing that bothers me about the AESTHETICS of most Virtual DJ skins is that they are...for lack of a better word...unfinished.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 9:54 am
I also agree the default skin is hardly likely to pull people in to the program (I've said it before many times) but the Vmix . skin made by Matt is really excellent.

The point is to make the product appealing to new customers I think the default skin with the demo is pretty dreadful (just my opinion). Before anyone comments about looks, just see how much money Apple have made by putting looks before functionality. The ipod is a terrible music player but sells on it's looks and style.

Keith

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 10:16 am
If you are a professional dj like me, I don't give a crap what it looks like, its the features, reliability, and options that are most important to me. Virtual DJ rocks! Also if you don't like the virtual dj skin look at the Numark Cue skins? The look cool to me.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 11:22 am
djmariojax wrote :
If you are a professional dj like me, I don't give a crap what it looks like, its the features, reliability, and options that are most important to me.

Seriously dude, get over yourself. The fact that you don't care about aesthetics does not make you any more or less professional than the next guy.

Like I already said, in terms of functionality Virtual DJ is a great product. I see no reason why its appearance could not match its quality under the bonnet.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 11:44 am
AuralCandy.Net wrote :

Like I already said, in terms of functionality Virtual DJ is a great product. I see no reason why its appearance could not match its quality under the bonnet.

Whilst i agree with what you are saying this has to be personal preference. What you might think is outstandingly beautiful someone else may think it isn't for them.

I take on board any criticism or ideas about the skins i design. In no way am i adverse to peoples point of view - and as most people that get involved in my threads will know - 9 times out of 10 i prefer their suggestion to what i may have already designed.

Maybe in my previous post i was slightly harsh and i hear you point. It just felt to me that you were digging at the skinners which i wasnt overly happy about.

Anyway - my piece said. If you have any ideas for what you would see as a more professional looking skin then feel free to let me know as i will be starting my next project shortly.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 12:18 pm
djtouchdan wrote :

Whilst i agree with what you are saying this has to be personal preference. What you might think is outstandingly beautiful someone else may think it isn't for them.

I take on board any criticism or ideas about the skins i design. In no way am i adverse to peoples point of view - and as most people that get involved in my threads will know - 9 times out of 10 i prefer their suggestion to what i may have already designed.

Maybe in my previous post i was slightly harsh and i hear you point. It just felt to me that you were digging at the skinners which i wasnt overly happy about.

Anyway - my piece said. If you have any ideas for what you would see as a more professional looking skin then feel free to let me know as i will be starting my next project shortly.

True, ultimately the quality of a skin is down the personal preference. I could have emphazied more clearly that I was talking only from my point of view, not declaring my opinions as the Universal Truth :)

In my original post I attached some link to Skins Factory's stuff, since they were great examples of skins I think look good. Another good example is MMD3 skin for WinAmp. I hope that people take a look at those skins despite how ever they might feel about the tone of my first post.

EDIT: more ideas

Here's what I think might bring a little life to a skin...

The typical Virtual DJ theme is red and blue elements in a dark (grey or black) background. So, how about instead having a blue and red background for the 2 decks, and use greyish tones for buttons. I'm thinking glossy plastic for the blue/red backgrounds and chrome for the buttons.

Just a random thought. I'd better test it in Photoshop before saying anything in case it looks like ass :D

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 1:37 pm
Another constructive idea:

Some of you might be familiar with DeviantArt, a community site specialized in digital art etc.

DeviantArt very often has all kinds of skinning contests. Atomix Productions could try to collaborate with DeviantArt and have a VDJ/Cue skinning contest. This would bring a lot of publicity with a relatively little effort - and potentially produce some great skins.

The winners could receive Virtual DJ licences, maybe Numark could even throw in a controller or two :)

Posted Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 2:27 pm
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
While I love Virtual DJ, there's on thing that bugs me about it: It's quite ugly. The default skin is so-so, and most of the custom skins vary between worse and terrible. I'm sorry if this offends somebody, but I think that a more attractive appearance would make Virtual DJ look more professional.

So how about hiring some professional interface design company to create a new [default] skin for Virtual DJ. I suggest The Skins Factory.

Here's some samples of their work. I selected these particular skins to give an example what I think would look great as a VDJ skin.

Motorola iRadio
iRiver Plus
Nero Showtime

What do you guys think?

First off the examples you give as "professional" are for "home computer players" and not professional software used by professional Djs to make a living. Your examples 100's times fewer functions and features so it is easier to make them "pretty" (and that is if you consider them pretty in the firstplace, personally i find them hard on the eyes and would be very tiring to use fo 4-6 hours straight).

I have used all of the top Dj software programs out there including Trakktor, PCDJ (red & FX), BPM Studio, Serato and VDJ.....I find VDJ skins (depending of course on which skins you select) to be BY FAR superior to any other Dj program out ther. Supercons Video Vision (my personal fave and Dj Format's V-Mix are absolute works of art as well as being extremely user friendly, effective and feature packed.

You know there are a lot of guys who will do a skin for free or a small donation if you just ask nicely and lead them in the direction you want the skin to look....have you tried that route?

Posted Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 6:44 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
First off the examples you give as "professional" are for "home computer players" and not professional software used by professional Djs to make a living. Your examples 100's times fewer functions and features so it is easier to make them "pretty" (and that is if you consider them pretty in the firstplace, personally i find them hard on the eyes and would be very tiring to use fo 4-6 hours straight).

I have used all of the top Dj software programs out there including Trakktor, PCDJ (red & FX), BPM Studio, Serato and VDJ.....I find VDJ skins (depending of course on which skins you select) to be BY FAR superior to any other Dj program out ther. Supercons Video Vision (my personal fave and Dj Format's V-Mix are absolute works of art as well as being extremely user friendly, effective and feature packed.

What's up with this self pretentious attitude of trying to underline how "professional" you are? I've been DJ'ing and organizing/promoting nightclub events for a decade and I'm hosting a podcast that draws thousands of listeners from dozens of countries every month, but I don't have a irresistible need to advertize it at any given opportunity just to prove my point.

I have a real hard time trying to understand what your point is. If you think functionality and aesthetics are somehow contradicting each other, you have a really poor understanding of interface design. To be frank, the fact that a large number of VDJ skins are modelled after real life hardware is a proof that many skinners have a poor understanding of usable SOFTWARE interfaces. My dayjob is a software developer, so I tend to think I have some idea of what I'm talking about. The amount of functionality is not in any way relevant to the to the quality of the aesthetics of the skins. Simply put, a complex interface can look good too. The problem is that good graphics artists seldom are also good interface designers and vice versa.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
You know there are a lot of guys who will do a skin for free or a small donation if you just ask nicely and lead them in the direction you want the skin to look....have you tried that route?

There's no way to say this in a way that isn't going to rub some people the wrong way, but I'm going to say it anyway...

If I'm to be compeltely honest, based on the the VDJ skins currently available, I'm not convinced that the existing skinners are up to the task of creating a skin that I would consider to be professional enough. For that reason I suggested that Atomix Productions would utilitize people who are specialized in interface design and high-quality graphics. To my understanding Atomix Productions' developement team is fairly small, and if there's something I've learned as a software developer, there's no point trying to do everything yourself with limited resources. In some cases it's better to outsource.

Posted Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 8:59 pm
49%