Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: VirtualDJ Database Tool - Need your suggestions... - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008

Posted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 5:11 pm
JeremK wrote :
After creating the 'Skin Resizer' and the 'Skin Creator', I have an idea for a database tool.

Please post all your suggestions here.

Hi Jeremyk

Create a tamplate by field order from XML for import into Access database to organize the relative data and make corrections more easily.
Also the ability to save changes back to XML file.

Example:In Access

Disc # ! Track # ! Title Name..... ! Artist........ ! Album....... ! Genre ! BPM ! Comment. ! Path & File Name........ ! < Field Names Add XML Field
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
123... ! 01........ ! You Can Do It ! Yes You Can ! Try It Man ! RnB... ! 75.5 ! Good Song.! C:\iTunes\Yes You Ca..! < Field Data XML Song Info
456... ! 02........ ! Well I Will Try. ! Yes Yuo Can ! Try It Man ! RnB... ! 60.6 ! Slow Song..! C:\iTunes\Yes You Ca..! < Field Data XML (Database)

Note: The field Disc #
Will be needed for Karaoke files since they are organized primarily by Disc. #

Thank You

Joey....

Posted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 6:25 pm
nsxmarvPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Thanks I'll try them.

Posted Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 5:12 pm
This is an example of what the datafields would look like on the top and the data it represents underneath each field column.

If this import can be done from XML to Access and saved back to VDJ.XML then that would take care of any data edits, directory or drive changes, renaming files or folders, in any field without losing links.

You can sort on any field to make changes quickly or Highlight data and open it on a separate window to sort and edit any way you want then save it back to the main database which is a tremendous advantage.

You can also export changes to a file that can be read by MP3tag or Tag& Rename to import new tag information for safe keeping in your file tags.
Just pointing out some of the advantages by using this method.

Thanks
Joey....

Posted Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 10:35 pm
Hi Guys, I am a Mobile DJ but also a professional software writer. I too want some of the facilities listed in this topic and so am going to write a .NET program to add various tools to manage and print the record database etc.

The XML file contains all the information that is displayed in the program under file infos but there seems to be a difference related to the BPM.

For example, in Virtual DJ a track showed the BPM as 130.5, yet in the XML file it is shown as <BPM Bpm="20269" Phase="4815" />

Another example is 133.7 in Virtual DJ, in XML as <BPM Bpm="19790" Phase="3251" />

Clearly I will need to be able to convert back and forth between what the XML file should be and what is displayed and we would want printed out, any ideas of what the relationship is ?

If someone can give me a clue as to how these are matched up, I'll get on and write the utilities that we all want, including writing back the info to the MP3 tracks etc.

Regards

Posted Sun 08 Nov 09 @ 12:42 pm
Hi Eccles2005

Is there a way you could write a template to export all fields & data in the XML database for import into Access?

I'm not a programmer but would make use of this ability to spot any problem area's to work on which would be a big help.

Appreciate some help with this

Thank you
Joey....

Posted Sun 08 Nov 09 @ 4:14 pm
Hi Joey

That's not a problem, it's pretty straight forward but what I may need some help with from the VirtualDJ guys is how to turn the following from the XML files into the file info we see on screen.

<Infos SongLength="11908224" FirstSeen="911081212" FirstPlay="911081858" LastPlay="911081858" PlayCount="1" Bitrate="128" />
<BPM Bpm="20626" Phase="6247" />

What is the SongLength attribute a measure of ?

How do we translate the Bpm attribute into something useful ?

The following fields are all straight forward

FilePath
Filesize
Author
Title
Album
Year
Date Added
Date Fiirst Played
Date Last Played
How Many Times Played
Bit Rate of MP3
Cue Positions

I'll get working on the general code over the next few days but some help on the two items I haven't been able to solve will be useful

cstoll ?

Posted Sun 08 Nov 09 @ 6:19 pm
JoeyKJ wrote :
Can anyone help me with this?

I rip all my music cd's through iTunes been doing it for years.
When I work and make changes or corrections in iTunes those changes don't appear in VDJ?
I'm using the same Music folder?
I'm now getting unlinked files in my browser and playlist in VDJ
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks
Joey.....

this is because itunes doesnt actualy change the tag of the actual file.. it just creates a shortcut in your library so to speak to the file.. you can either right click the listing in the library and show the file and then change it in the tag.. or you can use a program like mp3tag and retag the files before you actually add them to the library (then just open itunes and "add file or add folder" to add the tracks to library)..
I usualy import my music to a "new music" folder then use mp3tag to create or fix the existing tags, then i run mixmisters bpm analyzer to add bpm to the tag, once all is to my liking i select all the tracks and move them to the appropriate folder (my music is all located in one folder called mp3).. now that all the tags are correct i add them to the itunes library and when i open vdj i just "scan for tags" to update my database and its all done... mp3tag and mixmisters bpm analyzer are both free programs (google them and youll find them)
hope this helps.. T

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 4:16 am
Hi mcgiver73

Well think you for that tip it sounds like a good way to appropriately get all info together into the file tag first and then import after, make good since to me.

What do you use for ripping?

I do have MP3tag and Tag&Rename for video, wav & wm files though some won't tag, but allot do.

I like mp3tag best it has a more database structure and easier to spot errors, also the cover feature is great.

What I do now is when I do edits in iTunes I also run MP3tag and just highlight the edited files and the changes get pulled in from iTunes into Mp3tag.

I will adopt your method it seems like a surefire way of getting the did done.

Thank you
Joey....

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 8:58 am
Hi Eccles2005

I'll try to help you on the database field equation problem to see how it is converted into meaningful info.

Thank you for the reply

Joey....

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 9:06 am
JoeyKJ wrote :
Hi mcgiver73

Well think you for that tip it sounds like a good way to appropriately get all info together into the file tag first and then import after, make good since to me.

What do you use for ripping?

I do have MP3tag and Tag&Rename for video, wav & wm files though some won't tag, but allot do.

I like mp3tag best it has a more database structure and easier to spot errors, also the cover feature is great.

What I do now is when I do edits in iTunes I also run MP3tag and just highlight the edited files and the changes get pulled in from iTunes into Mp3tag.

I will adopt your method it seems like a surefire way of getting the did done.

Thank you
Joey....

Glad i could be of some sort of help.. =) i wish i would have thought of doing it that way years ago.. it would have saved ALOT of endless nights cleaning tags to fix the "old" music i had prior to doing it this way.. i think i re-tagged about 13000 or so mp3's over a matter of 6 months or so.. and i came up with the system initially to eliminate having duplicate files.. when i name or rename a tag the only info i keep from the origional file is "artist" - "title" (remix) the rest i remove then add the bpm, write to tag and save... so now my entire library is formated the same, spelled correctly etc etc... so worth it in the end.. lol

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 11:29 am
Yah appreciate that input I've been going throgh changes for years now, wish there was a fix for my vob. wav & wm files I got most of them tagged but only the covers import into VDJ not the field info.

Just another headache I now have to deal with to get the information into VDJ Database so I can organize and find my video & wav files.

Thanks

Joey...

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 11:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)