Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: VirtualDJ Database Tool - Need your suggestions... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
After creating the 'Skin Resizer' and the 'Skin Creator', I have an idea for a database tool.

Please post all your suggestions here.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 11:49 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Are you talking about reading the .xml file which contains all file information?

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 11:52 am
Yes reading the XML database file for correcting information and updating it.

I don't know how to read id3tags in mp3 files for the moment, so it will only handle the XML database.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 12:19 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
be great if you could get it to update the mp3 files from the xml database at some point, this is really the only thing left i feel is missing for me currently in vdj.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 1:22 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Include something that can find duplicate files, or incomplete files.

Maybe something aswell that can find or cure the infamous "Invalid folder crash", that we still see, i don't know if this is DB related though, lol

Right I'm off

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 1:28 pm

Something that a lot of user has asked about , that could possibly be an extra feature of such a tool

- Save/print content of a folder with Virtual DJ bpm, key and other info

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 3:51 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
An export of all tracks, (and karaoke tracks seperately) would be useful to some users I think - especially if you allow to export in various formats. Even better if you can allow use of a template.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 4:35 pm
JeremK wrote :
I don't know how to read id3tags in mp3 files for the moment, so it will only handle the XML database.

What language do you use?

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 4:36 pm
I'll be using REALBasic.

Thanks for the suggestions !!!

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 6:01 pm
Ah, I've never used RB. MP3 tag support isn't difficult, but you may want to save that for later...

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 6:08 pm
As previously stated in another "wish post" of mine, how about the ability to easily “PRINT OUT” one’s whole VDJ XML DATABASE, nice and neat, in order to make SONG BOOKS, KARAOKE BOOKS, and MUSIC VIDEO BOOKS or upload all that information to one’s website for displaying what one has to offer, etc...

Please add the ability to do some “SEARCHING FOR ALL DUPLICATES & DELETE THEM” by “USER ASSIGNMENTS or GUIDELINES” plus "BATCH" editing to the VDJ DATABASE such as to “CAPITALIZE ALL ARTIST NAMES” without having to use a 3rd party program to something like this by a "USER’S ASSIGNMENT or GUIDELINES":

ARTIST #1 Feat. ARTIST #2 - This Is The Song Title Of This Song File [MIX TYPE]

Also add the ability of when importing one’s “VOB” video files to actually read a “WINDOWS FILE NAME” that would be setup like this:

ARTIST - Song Title [MIX] - ALBUM - YEAR - GENRE - BPM - KEY - COMMENT

So that all of that “WINDOW’S FILE NAME’S STRING” information would show up in the VDJ DATABASE under their correct named headings, etc…

Plus once one has all of their VDJ DATABASE setup the way they want or need it to display, please allow the program to save these “settings” back to the MP3 file’s TAGS which would be kind of like a “reversal procedure” on when one is currently looking at a file with the “FILE INFO”, one will be able to insert the written or stated MP3 TAG INFO of that file into the VDJ DATABASE etc…

Or basically a program that does to the VDJ XML DATABASE file like what the TAG EDITING PROGRAMS such as “TAG & RENAME” & “ID3TagIt” do to MP3 files’ “TAGS” & does to the “WINDOW’S FILE NAME” editing procedures, etc…

Thanks and good luck,

DJ TAO :)

Posted Fri 16 Jan 09 @ 10:06 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
The yellow file error on a list indicates that the file was changed to new directory or was renamed or removed, in my case I'm fixing names orgenizing file types like video, karaoke & Audio folder keeping things orderly which is common maintenance in any program dealing with list and databases.

I experience this as a big task using the tools available within you're program.

Right now you have to go through eight seperate steps to accomplish this task for Playlist.

Would it be posible to add "would you like to replace existing file with this one" feature on you're explorer.

Just Find, Point and Replace Simple, Faster more user friendly feature that will add to the appeal and ease of use of you're product.

Instead of grinding through all those steps just to replace one file.

Thanks

Joey......

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 8:02 am
oh yeah, keep it simple... lol

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 8:57 am
MrMusicPRO InfinityMember since 2005
my only wish is, that there would be a button "write ID3-Tags to file" ;-)

DJ Toni

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 10:55 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
MrMusic wrote :
my only wish is, that there would be a button "write ID3-Tags to file" ;-)

You and a few more users, but them above us, don't seem to want to know :(

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 11:04 am
the question is why mate, we can read from tags but can't write to tags, as Spock would say... illogical

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 11:10 am
It isn't illogical, VirtualDJ is a "player" program. VirtualDJ isn't made for editing the MP3 files.
But this feature might be added one day.

Anyway, I don't know yet how to read id3tags, and writing is even harder because I would be afraid my program deteriorates the files.

I started working on the database tool today.
I am going to focus on printing the database for making "books". This seems to be the best thing to do for the moment.

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 2:57 pm
well when that day happens there is going to be an awful lot of happy bunnys around here... in the mean time i will just keep looking at other "player" programmes with envy.

Posted Sat 17 Jan 09 @ 3:18 pm
mcdocPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I hope this is the right place to mention this.

I still have CD players in my system amd use pre-mixed CD's for cocktail & dinner music at weddings and parties. This gives me sometimes up to 2 hours to manipulate my file data. Then I get all my data EXACTLY as I like it and on several occations have upgraded to a better laptop and didn't keep the datavase file so when I reinstalled VDJ . . . all that hard work was in vein as the ID tag info originally associated with each file comes back :(

So here is the simple request: Can we figure out a way to take any edits I do to the idtag info INSIDE of VDJ and make those changes permanent on the actual file so if I move that file to another machine . . . the edited idtag info goes with it.

Thanks!

Posted Sun 18 Jan 09 @ 4:01 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi

Doesn't the database file have all this information?

All you need to do is migrate you're files and database information to the new computer hard drive or external HD, make sure database file is at the root directory and Bingo you're done.

Joey....

Posted Thu 22 Jan 09 @ 6:27 pm
38%